Harry Potter En De Geheime Kamer by J. K.…

Harry Potter En De Geheime Kamer (original 1998; edition 2002)

by J. K. Rowling (Author)

Series: Harry Potter (2)

95,0659252 (4.17)7 / 1043
When the Chamber of Secrets is opened again at the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, second-year student Harry Potter finds himself in danger from a dark power that has once more been released on the school.
Member:loxyer
Title:Harry Potter En De Geheime Kamer
Authors:J. K. Rowling (Author)
Info:Uitgeverij De Harmonie (2002)

Work Information

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (1998)

Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (LucyClements)
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    The Stone Mage and the Sea by Sean Williams (Kathleen_E)
    Kathleen_E: The first in a great trilogy by a wonderful author, The Stone Mage and the sea will be loved by fans of Harry Potter. It is a young adult book, but like Harry Potter is enjoyed by adults also. The main character, Sal, is a boy who, like Harry Potter, is thrust into great and dangerous events due to his parentage and his hidden ability for the magic of the change. On his way he must be schooled in his magic, make friends, mentors and learn many lessons the hard way! If you like J. K. Rowling, you will love Sean Williams!… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: An excellent series leaning a little more toward Sci-fi
    Archie Wilson & the Nuckelavee by Mark A. Cooper (cherylschenick)
    The Hunt for Dark Infinity by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: the second book in the 13th Reality series great reads.
1990s (29)
Elevenses (129)
Ghosts (267)

English (873)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (6)  German (6)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (918)
This book contains one of my favorite things JK Rowling has ever written; the terrible valentines poem Ginny sends to Harry.

However, I would like to note that Rowling still doesnt know how snakes work, as evidenced by her showing the basalisk leaving animal bones in its lair when all snakes eat whole prey. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
i like this one more and more each time i read it. it's funny - having more of fred and george and the weasley's in general probably helps with the comedic relief, but it's not just them - and we get so much of harry's core personality shining through. he's in nice contrast in every way to gilderoy lockhart, and so we see him for all that he is and all that he will be. we also get a good sense of who sits on the good vs evil sides that she's building.

there is so much social justice at the heart of this; it's really too bad that she can't see beyond her own trauma to be on the right side of history currently.

(3.5 stars)

from june 2020:
this was fun, but i'm old - all the poor choices these kids make are maddening! still, this was exciting and had elements of social justice peeking through. plenty of twists and turns to keep a young (and older!) reader guessing throughout.

spending more time with the rest of ron's family was fun, and seeing how they use magic instead of things in the muggle world (like phones) was a nice thought experiment. dobby was annoying, even as i like what she's saying by bringing in his character. there was less about what they learn in their classes in this one, and i hope she goes back to showing us more of that in the next.

my kid is sensitive and finds a lot of things scary so we don't read a lot of books with suspense or tension in them. once the chamber of secrets was opened, we could only read this during the day, never in the evening when it was close to bedtime. so he hasn't had a lot of big reveals in books, but it was pretty awesome when, for the first time ever in a book, he gasped and said 'oh my gosh' when ginny weasley was revealed to be a victim.

"It is our choices ... that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." (3.25 stars)

from jan 2009:
a bunch of humble, good kids, consisently trying to do what's right, even when they get in trouble for it. what's not to like? this one was more fun for me than the first.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." (3 stars) ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Dec 9, 2021 |
J.K. Rowling is a genius. Nothing more needs to be said. ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
Interestingly, the second book was not as good as the first (on a re-read, years later). The first book introduces the reader and Harry to a whole new world at the same time; the second book has frustrating moments where the reader thinks things like **SPOILER ALERT** [for those RARE souls who have not read the series but are somehow still interested in reading a review so many years after the book has come out ;)]

of COURSE he should tell Dumbledore he's hearing MURDEROUS thoughts in the walls! Maybe it's weird that no one else can hear it, but it seems rather prevalent in light of the prior year's attempt for LV to attack HP. Seriously. Or when Aragog et al. are going to kill HP & RW, that doesn't make any sense at all because Aragog supposedly cares so much about Hagrid, but the only way Hagrid will be helped is for the information just revealed to HP & RW to make it's way back to, i don't know, ANY other alive human being? Or how come Dobby can go against his owners' wishes with (frankly relatively) minor injuries to himself? When you think about Kreacher (heh heh) and how much he LOATHES his owners and how he is, nevertheless, bound to stick around and not violate their wishes... well it seems that Dobby had quite a bit more liberties. Which just seems unlikely given who his owners are (were).

It wasn't terribly surprising that the first book, written so many years ago, was weak, or even that the first two were weaker than the rest of the series... what was surprising was that the 2nd was so much weaker than the 1st. Fortunately for me then and now, and fortunately for all the other HP readers, the 3rd is right there at your fingertips, so no need to dwell on the weaknesses of the 2nd (despite the fact that I just have in this review).

Don't get me wrong. I love these books. I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading 1 and 2, but I was reminded why this is, to me, the weakest book in the series. Still, a 4 star, but not magically delicious like the rest of 'em. ( )
  avanders | Nov 28, 2021 |
I listened on audible and really enjoyed it! Was perfect for driving to work daily and while doing chores. ( )
  Hollee.Archibald | Nov 25, 2021 |
The atmosphere Rowling creates is unique; the story whizzes along; Harry is an unassuming and completely sympathetic hero. But, truth to tell, you may feel as if you’ve read it all before. Rowling clearly hit on a winning formula with the first Harry Potter book; the second book — though still great fun — feels a tad, well, formulaic.

Tras derrotar una vez más a lord Voldemort, su siniestro enemigo en Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, Harry espera impaciente en casa de sus insoportables tíos el inicio del segundo curso del Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Sin embargo, la espera dura poco, pues un elfo aparece en su habitación y le advierte que una amenaza mortal se cierne sobre la escuela. Así pues, Harry no se lo piensa dos veces y, acompañado de Ron, su mejor amigo, se dirige a Hogwarts en un coche volador. Pero ¿puede un aprendiz de mago defender la escuela de los malvados que pretenden destruirla? Sin saber que alguien ha abierto la Cámara de los Secretos, dejando escapar una serie de monstruos peligrosos, Harry y sus amigos Ron y Hermione tendrán que enfrentarse con arañas gigantes, serpientes encantadas, fantasmas enfurecidos y, sobre todo, con la mismísima reencarnación de su más temible adversario.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Astrologo, MarinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bogeska-Ančevska, BlagorodnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Buddingh', WiebeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dale, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dellepiane Rawson, AliciaTranslator (Spanish)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dixit, SudhirTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vukomanović, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilharm, SabineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyler, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Seán P. F. Harris, getaway driver and foul-weather friend.
Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, Privet Drive.
"My dear boy, ... do use your common sense. My books wouldn't have sold half as well if people didn't think I'd done those things. No one wants to read about some ugly old Armenian warlock, even if he did save a village from werewolves. He'd look dreadful on the front cover. No dress sense at all. And the witch who banished the Bandon Banshee had a hairy chin. I mean, come on ..."
"So you've just been taking credit for what a load of other people have done?"
"Harry, Harry," said Lockhart, shaking his head impatiently, "It's not nearly as simple as that. There was work involved. I had to track those people down. Ask them exactly how they managed to do what they did. ^Then I had to put a memory charm on them so they wouldn't remember doing it.^
... No, it's been a lot of work, Harry. It's not all book-signings and publicity photos, you know. You want fame, you have to be prepared for a long hard slog."
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain.
The Latin translation of this book (Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum) should NOT be combined with the main work (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), under the "dead languages" exception in the combining rules.

Ever since Harry Potter had come home for the summer, the Dursleys had been so mean and hideous that all Harry wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he’s packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange impish creature who says that if Harry returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harry’s second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor and a spirit who haunts the girls’ bathroom. But then the real trouble begins – someone is turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Draco Malfoy, a more poisonous rival than ever? Could it possible be Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or could it be the one everyone at Hogwarts most suspects… Harry Potter himself!
Harry talks to snakes.
Why is he a Gryffindor?
Lucky for Ginny....
(swensonj)
Snuck in girls bathroom.

Dead chick offered me her loo.

Won’t go there again.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,966,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible