Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by…

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (original 1998; edition 1999)

by J. K. Rowling (Author)

Series: Harry Potter (2)

93,9549192 (4.17)7 / 1038
When the Chamber of Secrets is opened again at the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, second-year student Harry Potter finds himself in danger from a dark power that has once more been released on the school.
Member:danipark
Title:Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Authors:J. K. Rowling (Author)
Info:Scholastic (1999), 352 pages

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (1998)

Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (LucyClements)
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    The Stone Mage and the Sea by Sean Williams (Kathleen_E)
    Kathleen_E: The first in a great trilogy by a wonderful author, The Stone Mage and the sea will be loved by fans of Harry Potter. It is a young adult book, but like Harry Potter is enjoyed by adults also. The main character, Sal, is a boy who, like Harry Potter, is thrust into great and dangerous events due to his parentage and his hidden ability for the magic of the change. On his way he must be schooled in his magic, make friends, mentors and learn many lessons the hard way! If you like J. K. Rowling, you will love Sean Williams!… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: An excellent series leaning a little more toward Sci-fi
    Archie Wilson & the Nuckelavee by Mark A. Cooper (cherylschenick)
    The Hunt for Dark Infinity by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: the second book in the 13th Reality series great reads.

English (864)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (6)  German (6)  Italian (4)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  French (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (908)
Harry's 2nd year at Hogwart's--magic, mayhem, mystery.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 25, 2021 |
This was my favorite of the series when I was young. So much fun humor (and part of Rowling's brilliance is that her characters are so well-developed that they each have their own humorous style).

I am curious, though. Anyone else notice that Harry has a problem trusting adults? Unlike some shows and books where the adults are largely nincompoops, most adults in the series aren't. Don't you ever find yourself asking "Why, Harry?" Or "what would have been different if you honestly answered Dumbledore's question, Harry?" Is part of the millennial generation's characteristic of not trusting the older generation somewhat a result of this series?

Also, just have to say, that no matter the edition, I will always want Grandpre's illustrations. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
I have read the harry Potter books many MANY times and they just get better each time. I love the world that J.K. Rowling created and the people she wrote to populate it. It feels equal parts fantastical and believable. This series is an absolute must read regardless of your age or interest in the subject material. These books are true modern classics which will definitely stand the test of time. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |

The story holds up very well while reading with more mature eyes. In fact I have an better understanding of the story and I'm in awe how Rowling have set her story up until the final book and climax.

I'm grateful that the characters of the movie did not permanently alter my own imagination of some of the characters. Hermione for one is nothing like... (I forgot her name.. How is that possible?), but Ron is the same. And Harry a bit. Also Marcel.

Hmm

What I also really like is the dynamic between Harry, Ron and Hermione. Hermione is the genius. She knows facts. Harry is a detective and can connect those facts once he has them. But Ron you could see as tag along. A useless sidekick. But he's not. He's the mirror for them both. He plays the devil's advocate, get Hermione out of her head and is a friend for Harry. Something he needs because the rest of the world sees him like a Messias/saviour.
Dobby and Colin (what happens to him in later books?) makes that for me obvious.

So after all those years I can say this one is no longer my least favourite by far. I don't think I even have an favourite any more. But I will see.

***Some random thoughts after reading***
- I still think this series is one of the best written for kids/young teenagers. As an adult it's good but... Gah kids can be stupid sometimes.
- Why is Molly still an housewife? I mean all her kids go to school now. Wouldn't her working help her family financially? Is this ever explained? Does she have something with makes working outside her house not possible?
- Dobby needs therapy. Like a lot. Dude is messed up after all that abuse. His way of 'saving' Harry was totally wack.
- Do people in the UK still send their kids to boarding school? The thought that people do that is so far removed from my own world.

***Before reading***

This was one of my least favourite of the series all those years ago. I couldn't say why.

Now I know it's partly because I don't like slavery. Yeah shocker. But because of my family's history with slavery I developed an coping system in which I just avoided everything about slavery. Very healthy.

So yeah Dobby for me is a symbol I want/wanted to forget. But that doesn't that I don't think he shouldn't be in these books. He is a symbol for slavery but also for defiance. For how someone who wants more out of life still have to rely on others.

It will be weird reading this books with more mature eyes. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
4.5 STARS
Don't judge me, but Tom Riddle is my favourite character. So happy to see him! ( )
  mariu911 | Sep 6, 2021 |
The atmosphere Rowling creates is unique; the story whizzes along; Harry is an unassuming and completely sympathetic hero. But, truth to tell, you may feel as if you’ve read it all before. Rowling clearly hit on a winning formula with the first Harry Potter book; the second book — though still great fun — feels a tad, well, formulaic.

Tras derrotar una vez más a lord Voldemort, su siniestro enemigo en Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, Harry espera impaciente en casa de sus insoportables tíos el inicio del segundo curso del Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Sin embargo, la espera dura poco, pues un elfo aparece en su habitación y le advierte que una amenaza mortal se cierne sobre la escuela. Así pues, Harry no se lo piensa dos veces y, acompañado de Ron, su mejor amigo, se dirige a Hogwarts en un coche volador. Pero ¿puede un aprendiz de mago defender la escuela de los malvados que pretenden destruirla? Sin saber que alguien ha abierto la Cámara de los Secretos, dejando escapar una serie de monstruos peligrosos, Harry y sus amigos Ron y Hermione tendrán que enfrentarse con arañas gigantes, serpientes encantadas, fantasmas enfurecidos y, sobre todo, con la mismísima reencarnación de su más temible adversario.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Astrologo, MarinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bogeska-Ančevska, BlagorodnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Buddingh', WiebeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dale, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dellepiane Rawson, AliciaTranslator (Spanish)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dixit, SudhirTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vukomanović, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilharm, SabineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyler, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Seán P. F. Harris, getaway driver and foul-weather friend.
Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, Privet Drive.
"My dear boy, ... do use your common sense. My books wouldn't have sold half as well if people didn't think I'd done those things. No one wants to read about some ugly old Armenian warlock, even if he did save a village from werewolves. He'd look dreadful on the front cover. No dress sense at all. And the witch who banished the Bandon Banshee had a hairy chin. I mean, come on ..."
"So you've just been taking credit for what a load of other people have done?"
"Harry, Harry," said Lockhart, shaking his head impatiently, "It's not nearly as simple as that. There was work involved. I had to track those people down. Ask them exactly how they managed to do what they did. ^Then I had to put a memory charm on them so they wouldn't remember doing it.^
... No, it's been a lot of work, Harry. It's not all book-signings and publicity photos, you know. You want fame, you have to be prepared for a long hard slog."
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain.
The Latin translation of this book (Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum) should NOT be combined with the main work (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), under the "dead languages" exception in the combining rules.

AR Level 6.7, 14 pts
Harry talks to snakes.
Why is he a Gryffindor?
Lucky for Ginny....
(swensonj)
Snuck in girls bathroom.

Dead chick offered me her loo.

Won’t go there again.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,135,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible