Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets by…

Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets (original 1998; edition 1998)

by J. K. Rowling

85,2698292 (4.17)7 / 987
When the Chamber of Secrets is opened again at the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, second-year student Harry Potter finds himself in danger from a dark power that has once more been released on the school.
Member:montage
Title:Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Info:Raincoast Books (2000), Perfect Paperback, 366 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Own, Fantasy, Harry Potter, Witchcraft, Fiction

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (Author) (1998)

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander (LucyClements)
    The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    The Stone Mage and the Sea by Sean Williams (Kathleen_E)
    Kathleen_E: The first in a great trilogy by a wonderful author, The Stone Mage and the sea will be loved by fans of Harry Potter. It is a young adult book, but like Harry Potter is enjoyed by adults also. The main character, Sal, is a boy who, like Harry Potter, is thrust into great and dangerous events due to his parentage and his hidden ability for the magic of the change. On his way he must be schooled in his magic, make friends, mentors and learn many lessons the hard way! If you like J. K. Rowling, you will love Sean Williams!… (more)
    The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: An excellent series leaning a little more toward Sci-fi
    Archie Wilson: & The Nuckelavee (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper (cherylschenick)
    The Hunt for Dark Infinity by James Dashner (readafew)
    readafew: the second book in the 13th Reality series great reads.

English (788)  Spanish (10)  Dutch (6)  German (6)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (828)
“When in doubt, go to the library.”

This review may contain spoilers for the first book. Read at your own risk!

I always love re-reading this series, and I'm thrilled to finally be sharing them with my son. He's still a little to young to fully understand the story, but it's been lovely reading these to him before bed. He gets so excited about the small things -- a car that can think for itself, a tree that fights back, and he was absolutely fascinated by the basilisk. It's hard not to keep reading once he's fallen asleep, but I force myself to dog-ear the page and wait until the next night.

I feel like I notice something new or different each time I re-read these books. There were a few things that irked me when I read this one, and I'm not sure the issues are addressed in later books. One, Malfoy confessed to Harry and Ron (when they were Crabbe and Goyle) that his father had a hidden room in their house where he stored his really dark artifacts. Ron says something about sending an owl to his father, but then nothing comes of it. Did Mr. Weasley raid Lucius Malfoy's house? If so, why wasn't Malfoy imprisoned or charged with something? You'd think that would have been notable information.

Another thing that I'm upset about -- Hagrid. We know he was expelled from Hogwarts ages ago, and his wand was broken in half. When it becomes clear that Hagrid was falsely accused of a crime, why wasn't he reinstated as a wizard? I'm sure someone could have fixed his wand, or allowed him to finish school (even do some owline courses). I feel like Riddle's wrongdoings were never addressed, and Hagrid is still seen as somehow being less than others. It's infuriating because I love Hagrid to death. He's a gentle soul that truly loves Dumbledore, and he cares deeply for Harry and his friends.

I'm also pretty flarking upset that Hedwig was locked in a tiny cage all summer. It was cruel and unnecessary. You're telling me Harry can fight Voldemort, take on a basilisk, and be the schools youngest Seeker, but he couldn't pick a lock on his owl's cage so she could stretch her wings at night? His aunt and uncle wouldn't have noticed as long as she made it back by morning. Speaking of his aunt and uncle, they are cruel and heartless people. Harry was a child and they locked him in a room and fed him barely edible food. They could have given him a decent home despite their animosity towards wizards. He was still family.

Despite my new issues with some of the content, I will forever love this series. I was always the same age as the characters, so it felt like we grew up together. Now when I read these books, there's a sense of nostalgia. I remember a younger version of myself, and how thrilled I would be to get the next book in the series. I was a different person then, and I'm much older now, but the feelings of wonder and joy are the same.

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on September 18, 2018. ( )
  doyoudogear | Oct 11, 2019 |
The second novel in the series is a delightful stand alone story that shows Harry facing challenges as an outsider in the Wizarding World at the school he loves, as well as introducing metaphors of racial prejudice regarding non-magical people. This book introduces several elements important to the whole series including: Dobby the house elf, Parselmouth, polyjuice potion, Aragog the spider, and the first horcrux (albeit not named as such in this book). Most significantly, we learn about Lord Voldemort's past, with Rowling cleverly introducing the young Tom Riddle by way of the diary. Professor Binns, the ghost history professor, also plays a key role in this book, and I, for one, am disappointed he never appeared in the movies. While I'd remembered that Gildroy Lockhart is a fraud, I'd forgotten that he was also villainous in how he stole people's memories. ( )
1 vote Othemts | Sep 26, 2019 |
A house-elf named Doby shows up at the Dursley's and tries to convince Harry Potter from going back to Hogwarts. He uses magic to cause a desert at an important dinner they are holding to hover in the air and fall. He has kept the letters from Ron, Hermione, and Hagrid. In response to this Vernon locks Harry in his room and puts bars on his window. Soon, however, Ron, Fred, and George show up in a flying car in the middle of the night to rescue him. This gets them in trouble with their mother who didn't know the car could fly and is against using a flying car even for a noble cause.

This is Ginny Weasley's first year and she's nervous about being around Harry as she has a crush on him. The group gets together to travel by Floo powder to Diagon Alley. Harry messes up and winds up in Borgin and Birks and sees the Malfoys selling Dark Arts materials. He finds himself in Knockturn Alley, a dangerous place, but Hagrid is there buying slugworms and saves him and gets him back to the Weasleys. It turns out that the famous Gilderoy Lockhart is going to be their new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. He's written many books about his adventures.

When they go to meet the train the family is running late and Harry and Ron are the last to make the run for the platform and the doorway remains sealed. They can't get on the platform. They don't know if Ron's parents can get back. But they have the car so they take it and fly to school, which is a direct violation of underage use of magic. Not to mention that some people saw the flying car because the invisibility function on it didn't work completely. But Dumbledore doesn't expel them, much to Snape's disappointment. Instead, he leaves it to McGonagal who gives them loads of detention, Harry with Lockhart answering correspondents and Ron with Filch polishing trophies.

Harry gets invited to Nearly Headless Nick's 500th deathday party and takes Ron and Hermione with him. It's an interesting party where everyone there is dead and the food is rotten. When they are leaving Harry hears the voices in the walls that he had heard once before while he was working with Lockhart. It was saying things like "Kill". He had told Ron and Hermione and they follow the sound of the voices he hears and come across the message on the wall: The Chamber of Secrets Has Been Opened. Enemies of the Heir Beware. Hanging from a torch bracket is Mrs. Norris, Filch's cat. It seems she has been petrified. Dumbledore assures Filch that Professor Sprout has some mandrakes she is growing that can be used to undo the damage once they have finished growing to adulthood.

Ron, Hermione, and Harry decide to create a pollyjuice potion which will make them look like Crabbe and Goyle and some female Slytherin that they can imitate to get close to Draco whom they suspect as being the Heir of Slytherin and the one who opened the Chamber. But it takes a month to make so they're making it in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. She's a ghost that haunts one of the girl's bathrooms that no one uses because of this.

While playing Quiddich Harry gets hit by a rogue bludger and breaks his arm. Though he does catch the snitch and beats Slytherin, though they have the latest model of broomsticks bought and paid for by Malfoy in order to put Draco on the team. Lockhart tries to fix his arm and removes all of the bones in his arm instead. While in the hospital regrowing bones, Harry is visited by Dobby who apologizes for the bludger and for locking him out of the platform but he was only trying to protect Harry. He also let slip that the Chamber had been open once before. Dobby leaves while Dumbledore is bringing in a young kid named Colin Creavey who followed Harry around taking pictures and who has now been petrified.

People are beginning to talk that Harry is Heir of Slytherin especially when it gets out that he is a Parsalmouth. Salazar Slytherin was a Parsalmouth. There are more bodies stacking up and the students and the staff are getting scared. Who opened the Chamber fifty years ago and what happened to them? Who has opened it now? Where is the Chamber?

This book is better than the first book because you aren't stuck at the Dursely's for very long being bored to death. However, Hermione isn't in much of this book, which I feel causes it to lack something special to the friendship dynamic. Her absence is felt deeply. Because of this, I give this book four and a half stars out of five stars.

Quotes

Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can’t see where it keeps its brains.

-J. K. Rowling (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets p 329)

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

-J. K. Rowling (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets p 333) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Sep 23, 2019 |
3.5 stars ( )
  ssteinbr | Sep 21, 2019 |
The illustrations are amazing. Bring on the next one! ( )
  chauveaux | Sep 11, 2019 |
The atmosphere Rowling creates is unique; the story whizzes along; Harry is an unassuming and completely sympathetic hero. But, truth to tell, you may feel as if you’ve read it all before. Rowling clearly hit on a winning formula with the first Harry Potter book; the second book — though still great fun — feels a tad, well, formulaic.

Tras derrotar una vez más a lord Voldemort, su siniestro enemigo en Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal, Harry espera impaciente en casa de sus insoportables tíos el inicio del segundo curso del Colegio Hogwarts de Magia y Hechicería. Sin embargo, la espera dura poco, pues un elfo aparece en su habitación y le advierte que una amenaza mortal se cierne sobre la escuela. Así pues, Harry no se lo piensa dos veces y, acompañado de Ron, su mejor amigo, se dirige a Hogwarts en un coche volador. Pero ¿puede un aprendiz de mago defender la escuela de los malvados que pretenden destruirla? Sin saber que alguien ha abierto la Cámara de los Secretos, dejando escapar una serie de monstruos peligrosos, Harry y sus amigos Ron y Hermione tendrán que enfrentarse con arañas gigantes, serpientes encantadas, fantasmas enfurecidos y, sobre todo, con la mismísima reencarnación de su más temible adversario.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilharm, SabineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyler, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Seán P. F. Harris, getaway driver and foul-weather friend.
Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, Privet Drive.
"My dear boy, ... do use your common sense. My books wouldn't have sold half as well if people didn't think I'd done those things. No one wants to read about some ugly old Armenian warlock, even if he did save a village from werewolves. He'd look dreadful on the front cover. No dress sense at all. And the witch who banished the Bandon Banshee had a hairy chin. I mean, come on ..."
"So you've just been taking credit for what a load of other people have done?"
"Harry, Harry," said Lockhart, shaking his head impatiently, "It's not nearly as simple as that. There was work involved. I had to track those people down. Ask them exactly how they managed to do what they did. ^Then I had to put a memory charm on them so they wouldn't remember doing it.^
... No, it's been a lot of work, Harry. It's not all book-signings and publicity photos, you know. You want fame, you have to be prepared for a long hard slog."
Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain.
The Latin translation of this book (Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum) should NOT be combined with the main work (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets), under the "dead languages" exception in the combining rules.

AR Level 6.7, 14 pts
Harry talks to snakes.
Why is he a Gryffindor?
Lucky for Ginny....
(swensonj)
Snuck in girls bathroom.

Dead chick offered me her loo.

Won’t go there again.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,752,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible