The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Third…

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Third Edition (edition 2003)

by Charlie Papazian (Author)

Fully Revised and Updated, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing is everything you need to know to brew beer at home from start to finish including new recipes, updated charts on hop varieties, secrets to fermentation, beer kit tips, and more--from the master of homebrewing. The Complete Joy of Homebrewing is the essential guide to understanding and making beer, from stouts, ales, lagers, and bitters, to specialty beers and meads. Everything to get started is here: the basics of building a home brewery, world-class proven recipes, easy-to-follow instructions, and the latest advancements in brewing. Master brewer Charlie Papazian also includes the history and lore of beer, the science behind brewing, and tips on how to create your own original ale. This completely revised and updated edition includes: An expanded and updated homebrew recipe chart: How to brew 53 traditional beers A Beer Styles chart with easy-to-understand descriptions of key flavor and aroma characters along with homebrew technical data to make your own recipe formulations A list of more than 75 beer types describing strength, hop aroma, bitterness, flavor, color, sweetness, and alcohol percentage Expanded charts on 68 hop varieties, descriptions, and uses Brand new recipes Beer kit tips Key information about using and understanding hops Five secrets to fermentation And much more… (more)
Member:mdbenderjr
Title:The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Third Edition
Authors:Charlie Papazian (Author)
Info:HarperResource (2003), Edition: 3rd, 432 pages

The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie PAPAZIAN (Author)

Charlie Papazian has created an indispensable handbook for everyone interested in brewing beer at home. 'The Complete Joy of Home Brewing' is packed with more than just guidance -- it includes history of brewing, exploration of beer in cultures, and explanations of how various parts of brewing works, from what the yeast do to how boiling converts starches to sugars. The book also includes an organized structure of each step in the brewing process and how to brew, as well as different ideas for brewing. There is a discussion on water sources and the affects of dopants (dissolved minerals) in water and how they affect on the brewing process and results of the final product. The author also talks at times about how one could make the process more fun by including friends and family in the hobby, having them help and contribute to the brewing. And, Papazian gives a nice list of various beer recipes for the hobbyist to try out. I must say that if you're interested in brewing, or just interested in beer, you should get a copy for yourself. ( )
  JoshuaMichail | Sep 21, 2017 |
So...this guy really knows his stuff. The Complete Joy of Home Brewing is bursting with helpful information. As a beginner-beginner, I really appreciate the level of detail, not just in the “Especially for the Beginner” section, but throughout the whole book. From history, to measurement and temperature charts, to the equipment needed, to breaking down each ingredient, to the variations on each type of beer. The only thing I didn’t like about this book is that I think it could be illustrated a bit better. Other than that it seems like a perfectly comprehensive guide to homebrewing. I’ve never brewed my own beer and picked this up on a whim. Having flipped through it a bit I feel like I could give it a go. Some of the recipes sound right up my alley -- I can’t wait to try that Jeepers Creepers Light Lager. ( )
  cattylj | Feb 28, 2015 |
It was a little disorganized, but got the point across. I liked that it had a dumbed-down "first brew" section for newbies. The second section got into more complicated types of beers, mainly focusing on the foundations of each beer type so you can develop your own, with a few recipes at the end. The final section was an advanced look at the chemistry behind the brewing process, as well as even more complex techniques.

The tone of the book was friendly and conversational, and while I found the incessant slogan ("Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew.") kinda stupid, it always seemed to crop up right when I was getting a little anxious.

The organization of information is a little unclear in places -- definitely written by an expert who knows all there is to know about home brewing, but has maybe forgotten what it's like to not know anything, if that makes sense. I'm still not sure how to ferment in plastic buckets vs. glass jars ("carboys"). But on the whole it made a lot of sense. ( )
  Andibook | Dec 29, 2014 |
I'm a home brewer and this is the brewer's bible. Is there anything more you need to know? ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
A definitive handbook for a brewer of any level. Covers a wide breadth of styles and recipes, as well as brewing set ups.

A reference book ever brewer should have on their shelf beside the sanitizer and steins. ( )
  claire.wemyss | Oct 23, 2013 |

PAPAZIAN, CharlieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
JACKSON, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whatever suits you, tickles me plum to death.
W. Jensen
You never know 'til you check it out.
C.L. Matzen
A beer with balls!
J.A. "Espo" Esposito
Oh, my soul's on fire.
J.A. Stoner
You never know.
L. Prince
The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing is dedicated to all of my students, both young and old. You have taught me much more than I have taught you. I thank you for the inspiration given to me.
Everyone knows there are people who spend their lives sampling wines and writing books and newspaper articles about them. (Preface)
Seven years have passed between the writing of the first and second editions of The Complete Joy of Home Brewing.(Introduction to the Second Edition)
This book is written for the "will-be" homebrewer: who will be a homebrewer who will be able to relax and consistently make good beer time after time. (Introduction)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,457,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible