dismiss

Daggerspell (Deverry Series, Book One) by…

Daggerspell (Deverry Series, Book One) (original 1986; edition 1993)

by Katharine Kerr

Series: Deverry Cycle (1), Deverry (1)

Even as a young girl, Jill was a favorite of the magical, mysterious Wildfolk, who appeared to her from their invisible realm. Little did she know her extraordinary friends represented but a glimpse of a forgotten past and a fateful future.
Member:Thogek
Title:Daggerspell (Deverry Series, Book One)
Authors:Katharine Kerr
Info:Spectra (1993), Edition: First Thus, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****

Daggerspell by Katharine Kerr (1986)

English (25)  Dutch (2)  All languages (27)
I've loved this book most of my life. An epic fantasy with a distinctly Celtic flavour and a unique narrative voice, it’s set in a richly-imagined alternate world, complete with Elves, Dwarves, magic (or dweomer) and fuck off swords. It explores ideas of choice, consequences and redemption over multiple lifetimes, introducing twists and tangles to defeat the most patient soul. It’s heady, often difficult stuff, and it draws me in every time. Trust me – this is a classic that’s well worth your time.

Full review ( )
  imyril | Mar 28, 2020 |
Great series. :) ( )
  AnnieSeiler | Dec 22, 2019 |
In the beginning Galrion and Jill were meant to be together and become great dweomer masters. Because Galrion was a selfish lord he caused not only his life but the lives of several others to go very wrong. Galrion is stripped of his name and becomes Nevyn, vowing not to rest until he makes things right. This leads us to following him through incarnations of those lives. Fascinating story of how people are so connected, reliving similar situations until the person's soul grows and overcomes. I read this years ago and loved rereading this story.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Loved these when I was younger.

So far I still love them. It's a little complicated remembering who is who. But I love this world. Definitely recommended. ( )
  Sonja-Fay-Little | Jan 24, 2019 |
A peculiar and intriguing storyline, I liked it. My only gripe is small, it's the name given to the main characters, they are so difficult to remember and sometime so similar that it gets confusing. Plus, remembering who is who across the ages can give you an headache. But it's worth it. Also be warned, the story can be hard on the morale. The initial story of Brangwen is terribly, terribly sad.

The writing and pacing are excellent, it is a fun read from the start.(Well, sad, but fun read. you know what I mean) ( )
  kinwolf | Jun 4, 2018 |

Katharine Kerrprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frick, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaila, KatariinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parkinson, KeithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Men see life going from a dark to a darkness. The gods see life as a death...
-The Secret Book of Cadwallon the Druid
For my husband, Howard, who helped me more than ever he can know. Without his support and loving encouragement, I never would have finished this book.
In the hall of light, they reminded her of her destiny.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,599,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible