How to Lose Friends & Alienate People by…

How to Lose Friends & Alienate People (2001)

by Toby Young

Grayden Carter is fraud, should be the subtitle of this book. (I don't know Mr. Carter and I don't care about Mr. Carter; I'm only passing along what the book makes no secrets about sharing with its reader.) Still, Toby Young charms. He's a very funny writer. Also, his father is apparently the originator of the cognate "meritocracy", to describe our political system. Check it out! ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
So, I didn't actually finish this. I pulled the plug at 172 because this man is such an unmitigated asshole I simply did not want to spend another moment with him. Even if Young were an interesting giant, horny, and surly toddler (and he is not, though he has some interesting experiences) this would have been no fun. To enjoy this you have to want to ride shotgun with Young, and that was the last thing I wanted to do. 1 1/2 stars instead of 1 because there are some funny stories well told. ( )
  Narshkite | Oct 19, 2014 |
You either like or hate this author. All about him.
  carterchristian1 | Feb 21, 2012 |
I agree with all the other reviewers that this is a very fun book to read because anger, disappointment, hopes-unfulfilled, rancor, rejection by society, and all the other similar things that the author experienced, are all time-honoured themes in works of literature over the centuries. We will never cease to enjoy commiserating with, or, take your pick, secretly distancing ourselves from, people who are in some way less successful than us.
Some reviewers thought that he was a snob who just had to come down a notch in is over-estimate of his self-worth. Could be true of the author, could be true of all of us.
In the end I will leave all that behind and just remember it as a hell of a funny book.
Now that I have just discovered that it is a movie, I will try to find the movie somehow.
  libraryhermit | May 8, 2010 |
Entertaining so far, but all the bits about how Americans are just crass money-grubbers, as compared to the stately, nobel Englishmen is getting kind of tired. ( )
  mkschoen | Jan 22, 2010 |
To Caroline

In 1995 high-flying British journalist Toby Young left London for New York to become a contributing editor at Vanity Fair. Other Brits had taken Manhattan--Alistair Cooke, Tina Brown, Anna Wintour--so why couldn't he?But things didn't quite go according to plan. Within the space of two years he was fired from Vanity Fair, banned from the most fashionable bar in the city, and couldn't get a date for love or money. Even the local AA group wanted nothing to do with him.How to Lose Friends and Alienate People is Toby Young's hilarious and best-selling account of the five years he spent looking for love in all the wrong places and steadily working his way down the New York food chain, from glossy magazine editor to crash-test dummy for interactive sex toys. A seditious attack on the culture of celebrity from inside the belly of the beast, How to Lose Friends and Alienate People is also a "nastily funny read." --USA Today

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:53 -0400)

A journalist who has been fired from a succession of prestigious newspapers and magazines recounts five years of his life during which he was cast out of numerous jobs, social hangouts, and organizations in his quest to find himself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,429,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible