Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock

Mythago Wood (1984)

by Robert Holdstock

Recently added byprivate library, miri12, elerwen, Hyzie, MaloryM, Serpyke, ttuckerman, Dvdvnr, utopia2021
    Last Call by Tim Powers (grizzly.anderson)
    Our Lady of Darkness by Fritz Leiber (LamontCranston)
    The Centaur by Algernon Blackwood (Farree)
    Farree: Where Blackwood explores the Urwelt, or 'Primordial Planetary Consciousness' from the point of view of someone merging with it, Holdstock explores it from the point of view of someone exploring the physical manifestation of it in the land.
    Dance of the Dwarfs by Geoffrey Household (bertilak)
    The Commons by Matthew Hughes (bertilak)
    bertilak: Two different takes on the theme of the collective unconscious.
    Green Mansions by W. H. Hudson (bertilak)
    bertilak: Contrast Hudson's romanticized handling of the 'wild girl in the woods' theme with Holdstock's raw version.
    Solaris by Stanisław Lem (bertilak)
    bertilak: Monsters from the id! (Just like in Forbidden Planet, kids).
    Bridge of Birds: A Novel of Ancient China That Never Was by Barry Hughart (fugitive)
    fugitive: Co-winner (with this book) in 1985 of the World Fantasy Award (Novel).

English (41)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (45)
wtf
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Ho registrato un libro su BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/13814927 ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
Quite good and not dated terribly badly. However, certainly intially, I felt it had echoes of a bad Dr Who episode. It improves but the premise might have been better with a look at alternate dimensions rather than the plot holes that are here. The romance and friendship issues are dealt with well. One can't help but feel however, that essentially this was a fantasy novel written by a science fiction writer. ( )
  aadyer | Nov 28, 2018 |
Mythago Wood was first recommended to me five years ago, but it was only last weekend that I saw a copy in my local library and pounced. I hadn’t been at all sure whether I would like it – indeed, I hadn’t been at all sure what it was about – but reading it has been a truly remarkable experience. I suppose the book does fall under the fantasy banner, but it’s actually about myths and legends, the collective unconscious, and what Peter Ackroyd calls in his book Albion ‘the English imagination’. And it’s about woods: those deep, old English woodlands which can give you a thrill of unease when walking through them simply due to their antiquity. What might be hiding in the depths of such primeval forests? Playing with notions of relativity, time and space, Holdstock creates a world of such fascinating allure that I was captivated from the very first page. I may have taken half a decade to get round to this recommendation, but by heaven it was worth the wait...

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2018/09/09/mythago-wood-robert-holdstock/ ( )
1 vote TheIdleWoman | Sep 9, 2018 |
And a little bit of another star because the idea was good. Suffers from being written in the first person without even a hint that the author sees what a self obsessed and one dimensional character the protagonist is. Maybe you would have to identify with him to get satisfaction out of it - but it's sadly not for me. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
A beautifully written and conceived novel that deals with the delights and dangers of myth-making... Some books are hard to put down. I found ''Mythago Wood'' hard to shake off.

Although it takes its time getting started, and occasionally reminds us that it was expanded from a short story, this is a winning novel with a fine feeling for the interface between airy dreams and sweaty reality.
added by cattriona | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 8, 1985)

Robert Holdstockprimary authorall editionscalculated
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goodfellow, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haglund, AnjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I had that sense of recognition...here was something which I had known all my life, only I didn't know it...
---Ralph Vaughan Williams
commenting upon his first discovery of British folklore and folk music
for Sarah
cariath ganuch trymllyd bwystfil
Edward - You must come back to the Lodge.

Myth and Terror in the Forest Deeps

For the Wood, larger inside than out, is a labyrinth full of myths come to life, "mythagos" that can change you forever. A labyrinth where love and beauty haunt your dreams. . .and may drive you insane.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:24 -0400)

"The mystery of Ryhope Wood, Britain's last fragment of primeval forest, consumed George Huxley's entire long life. Now, after his death, his sons have taken up his work. But what they discover is numinous and perilous beyond all expectation." "For the Wood, larger inside than out, is a labyrinth full of myths come to life, "mythagos" that can change you forever. A labyrinth where love and beauty haunt your dreams...and may drive you insane."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible