The Ruins by Scott Smith

The Ruins (edition 2007)

by Scott Smith (Author)

3,3441903,457 (3.38)106
Two American couples, just out of college, enjoy a pleasant, lazy beach holiday together in Mexico. On an impulse, they go off with newfound friends in search of one of their group--the young German, who, in pursuit of a girl, has headed for the remote Mayan ruins, site of a fabled archeological dig. Then the searchers--moving into the wild interior--begin to suspect that there is an insidious, horrific "other" among them...--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:meachamhome
Title:The Ruins
Authors:Scott Smith (Author)
Info:Vintage (2007), 528 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Horror

Work Information

The Ruins by Scott Smith

English (184)  German (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (190)
First edition as new
  dgmathis | Mar 17, 2023 |
Four friends and two strangers head out to look for a brother of one of the party. While searching an archeological ruin, they become the hunted instead of the hunters. With only snacks and three bottles of tequila they wait to be rescued from the horror that won’t let them go.

Loved this book and can’t wait to read this author’s other book A SIMPLE PLAN. The only thing I disliked about the book is the lack of chapters. It’s a 319 page chapter! ( )
  buukluvr | Feb 14, 2023 |

buukluvr | Feb 14, 2023 |
It's October, so I'm reading horror and watching scary movies. This was my first horror novel this month and I chose it by watching several vlogs about people's top 10 or so picks for scariest books ever. Several chose this book and I was intrigued. Although, I'm glad I read it - just so I now know what it's like - I thought it was average. This may have much to do with my age and expectations, which were high given all the recommendations, but I found it predictable and a bit annoying. And not very scary. The only time I was very nervous was when they descended into the mine... I thought the book could have used more of that angle, but that's just me. We all have different fears and this one just didn't touch on mine.

It still gets three stars for decent writing, an original story, and not pulling any punches in the end. ( )
  paroof | Nov 22, 2022 |
Some people are going to think I rated this too low, but supernatural suspense thrillers are not my game so it loses a star just for that. As its type though, it's pretty damn good. An in depth review would reveal too much to the potential reader, so let's just say once you get started it will be hard to put down.

The bogeyman in this sort of story is irrelevant, werewolves, rabid dogs, zombies, it's all the same. Pick one and get on with it. There's one here, and while not the most original, it's effective especially when given a twist. [a:Clark Ashton Smith|57720|Clark Ashton Smith|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1221279024p2/57720.jpg] and [a:William Hope Hodgson|51422|William Hope Hodgson|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1246727581p2/51422.jpg] wrote stories using this particular trope way long ago.

The real trick in a novel like this is developing characters, even more than a plot, this book is character driven and Smith is great at getting in the heads of these people in a believable way. And we care about them even as the body count starts to mount. He actually gets to some deep issues about faith, fear, and the nature of death. We become empathetic, we get inside each character. Smith also does a good job of not making one of the characters an obvious "bad guy" in the group, too selfish, too bossy, etc. This leaves the bogeyman and his friends free to ravage our little jungle clan here and not reveal who's going to get it in what order and who (if anyone) survives. They all matter to us about equally.

Interestingly there aren't really any ruins in it, so don't be expecting some hidden cursed Mayan Temple to appear, it remains hidden in the jungle in some other novel.

I liked it and had a fun time reading it. ( )
  Gumbywan | Jun 24, 2022 |
Smith writes with psychological acuity and real beauty, yet he doesn't pull punches.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Jul 16, 2006)

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Elizabeth, who's known horror.
They met Mathias on a day trip to Cozumel.

While partying on holiday in Cancun two young American couples befriend a German tourist named Mathias, and three friendly Greeks. Mathias had been traveling with his brother, Heinrich, who's disappeared off to the Mayan ruins with a woman working on an archaeological dig. Mathias is worried for his brother and, using a hand-drawn map Heinrich had left behind, sets off in pursuit. The Americans and one of the Greeks join him in his adventure to the interior.

After an exhausting journey, the six reach a Mayan village. But there they receive a frightening reception and turn around, despairing of ever finding Heinrich and the ruins. Following a camouflaged trail out of the village, the group come to a hillside covered in bright red flowers. As they pause at the base of this hill, transfixed by the beauty of the vision, a horseman approaches behind them. It's one of the Mayans; he's got a gun and, in his own language, orders them away from the hill. In the midst of the confrontation, one of the group steps backward, into the flowering vine. The Mayan falls silent then orders all six up the hill. As they follow the trail across the hilltop and down the slope they see yet another group of Mayans waiting for them, weapons out — and a mound, covered with the flowering vine. They examine it and find Heinrich's corpse, shot full of arrows. They are mystified. And the Mayans won't let them leave.

Trapped, the group try to figure out a way to survive until someone comes to find them, imagining they've been made irrational by thirst and hunger. But as they move through their first twenty-four hours, another, a far more terrifying foe reveals itself.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 185,198,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible