The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship (1968)

by Arthur Ransome

Other authors: Uri Shulevitz (Illustrator)

When the Czar proclaims that he will marry his daughter to the man who brings him a flying ship, the Fool of the World sets out to try his luck and meets some unusual companions on the way.
    The Five Chinese Brothers by Claire Huchet Bishop (raizel)
    raizel: both stories have people with unusual powers
    The Fool and the Flying Ship (Rabbit Ears Book & Audio) by Eric Metaxas (Rabbitearsblog)
    Rabbitearsblog: "I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who loves Henrik Drescher's illustrations, good humor, Russian folktales, and Robin Williams. The book (see more) is extremely hilarious and fun to look at and I'm sure that you will enjoy this book a lot!"… (more)

wonderful, long, old folktale from Russia ( )
  melodyreads | Feb 5, 2021 |
A simple Russian tale of the unfavored son who goes on a quest. Finding a ship that flies, he comes upon many country people who assist him and others along the way. Eventually, with the help of his friends in the flying ship, he is able to win the hand of the Czar's daughter. Though this is a Caldecott Medal book, as usual, the illustrations of Uri Schulevitz are colorful and appealing. Though, I thought the story was wonderful for little ones who can learn to appreciate a tale of helping others in succeeding a goal. ( )
  Whisper1 | Jan 27, 2020 |
Illustrated versions of an old Russian tale in witch a simple man is finally favored and meets the exact right people who will help him marry a princess. I didn't care for this one. ( )
  JenniferSprinkle | Jun 20, 2019 |
I did not enjoy the art in the book but the story was interesting. It is a good book for teaching children how to love one another even when they are different. It teaches children to never judge a book by its cover. It also teaches kindness and how it can help you find good friends. The book was long and the art was not eye catching but the story was intriguing. The art was mostly dull colors but they did a good job in working with the text. In the beginning I was a little bothered by how the parents of the fool treated him. I did like the fact that at the end the fool became a prince and the princess loved him. I also enjoyed that the book mentioned God and how he favored the "simple folks". The book has a wonderful message and i enjoyed the tale. ( )
  dmesquivel | Feb 18, 2019 |
The Fool of the World is a traditional Russian tale about a simple man who builds a flying ship and earns the hand in marriage of the Czar's daughter by making friends with strange people. I found the story to be a little odd, and the first half of the book was somewhat confusing. The book won a Caldecott award in the 1960s, so I had high expectations that just weren't met. The illustrations are retro and very colorful. ( )
  alootens1 | Nov 17, 2018 |

Ransome, Arthurprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shulevitz, UriIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
There were once upon a time an old peasant and his wife, and they had three sons.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,672,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible