Radio Free Albemuth by Philip K. Dick

Radio Free Albemuth (1985)

by Philip K. Dick

Series: VALIS Trilogy (alternate 1)

Recently added byjunktopia, FraterDecus, mbvinstrup, private library, jamietr, jgredler, AlainCipit, AdnanAdiguzel

English (19)  French (2)  All languages (21)
This was a great Philip K. Dick novel! I was astounded that this was not published, in some form, during his lifetime. All of Dick's idiosyncrasies and the best aspects of his fiction are here: the paranoia, the sci-fi, the drugs-- everything. The ideas that he infuses through his writing serve to guide the story and the writing is surprisingly lucid and appealing. After a series of only satisfactory reads of Dick's novels, this one brings my interest in Philip K. Dick back around and makes me even more interested in the rest of his oeuvre.

Definitely recommended for Philip K. Dick enthusiasts or those interested in sci-fi.

4 stars! ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
Rating: 3.5* of five

What a damned miracle it is to find this book again. In the Year of Our Suffering 2018, the weird way of PKD's imaginary travels has become our reality. Yuck! The fact that this wasn't published until after PKD's death suggests to me it wasn't fully baked yet. That is pretty much how I felt about the writing. He just didn't have a chance to get down into the working parts of the book before he died.

But damn, it's really really really scary how the imaginarium in his head led PKD to predict our present.

Then there's a 2014 movie that makes my hair stand on end. A good and faithful adaptation of the novel, a low-budget proof that the passion of a filmmaker makes for a good watch. I like this story because of how much it scares me. I think I should re-read the VALIS trilogy now! ( )
  richardderus | Dec 6, 2018 |
PKD parallel universes

I have read so many PKD books that I am not sure where this fits in, though it is clearly at the tail end of his career. The basic premise is that an alien satellite (God?) is broadcasting info to select people on earth, in an effort to depose a US President. These days could be interpreted as either R Nixon or could be D Trump. I believe it was Nixon at the time it was written. PKD would be equally suspicious of Trump.

I will have to reread VALIS, or try to get through the 1000 page Exogesis. There is so much going on here philosophically that it bears further reading. Then there is the whole subliminal message concept, which is under appreciated. Lots of interesting stuff here, unfortunately I believe the characters are not at all interesting.
  delta351 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I feel like I must've missed something - but my friend read it too and didn't get anything out of it either. Otoh, it's Dick - so if you're a fan of his work ya gotta check it out, eh? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
To be honest it took me the whole first chapter (one third of the book) to get used to the bland, colloquial and seemingly unpolished form. I could only accept it due to the semi-autobiographical first person narration and knowing that PKD will as always deliver on one level or another. And sure enough there were strong ideas, paranoid conspiracy theories as well a fanatic hot-wiring of religion, science and history and all of this based on his own, personal experiences and hallucinations.
This is not his best book but definitely has a special place in the whole PKD Universe. Read if you love PKD already, not necessarily if you want to get a glimpse... ( )
  leo_depart | Feb 28, 2016 |
It is hard to criticize as a finished work what may have been merely a first draft (and an abandoned first draft at that), but this book is not Dick at his best.

Philip K. Dickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Roberts, AnthonyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Last paragraph: The kids continued to stare at us. At the two political prisoners, old men to them, worn and dirty and defeated, eating their lunches, now, in silence. The transistor radio continued to play. Even more loudly. And, in the wind, I could hear others starting up everywhere, By the kids, I thought. The kids.
"There is one thing that you do not know, or rather do not realize. What has been happening is a transfer of plasmatic, highly evolved life forms from the Albemuth planets via the communications network to the satellite, and from there to the surface of this planet. Technically speaking, Earth is being invaded. That is what is really happening."

In Radio Free Albemuth, his last novel, Philip K. Dick morphed and recombined themes that had informed his fiction from A Scanner Darkly to VALIS and produced a wild, impassioned work that reads like a visionary alternate history of the United States. Agonizingly suspenseful, darkly hilarious, and filled with enough conspiracy theories to thrill the most hardened paranoid, Radio Free Albemuth is proof of Dick's stature as our century's greatest science fiction writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

It is 1969, and a paranoid president has convulsed America in a vicious war against imaginary internal enemies. As the country slides into fascism, a struggling science-fiction writer named Philip K. Dick is trying to keep from becoming one of that war's casualties. Meanwhile, Dick's best friend, a record executive named Nicholas Brady, is receiving transmissions from a God-like extraterrestrial intelligence, which he dubs Valis, who apparently wants him to overthrow the president.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,349,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible