Foe by J. M. Coetzee

Foe (1986)

by J. M. Coetzee

Jack Maggs by Peter Carey (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Post-Colonial novel appropriating classic characters and fictionalized versions of their creators.
    The Magus by John Fowles (Hibou8)

English (30)  Spanish (2)  All languages (32)
I certainly did not understand this book to the fullest. Still, I really liked it, somehow; I can't wait for our discussion on it in class... ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
My first - but not my last - Coetzee. I was fascinated by this tale of a lady castaway who finds herself on Crusoe's island and then tries to sell her story to Defoe. Part homage to the one of the earliest of novels, part fable, the novel has a wonderful twist about midway through and then continues to spiral into fantasies about writing, authorship, and speechlessness.

I loved it. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
In the spirit of Foe, a story about this book... I bought this book at a recent $5 A Bag book sale at the library. Having walked away with 4 bags of books, it seemed like a pretty successful sale in and of itself. However, fate intervenes (dun dun DUN) and, picking it up to read tonight, I see a very familiar name scrawled in the front cover, a date/locale, and a seal imprinted on the title page. None other than the name of my favorite teacher back in high school and the date of my graduation. A favorite teacher that has since passed away but is sorely missed. Coincidence might be the invention of the storyteller here, but it's a coincidence I'm very happy about.

The book itself was interesting, both as a reinvention of Crusoe and a stand-alone. I was almost expecting a The Yellow Wallpaper twist to come into play. Definitely worth the read. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
A fascinating look at storytelling--approached through another author's story.

Coetzee introduces Susan Barton, lately a female castaway, as she approaches the author Foe to tell the story of herself and the late Cruso on their desert island before rescue. Friday, Crusoe's servant/slave and now hers (for whom she has forged a note stating he is freed), is a mute with no tongue. Just as Friday cannot tell his story, can Susan tell hers? Is it worth telling, or must Foe make it more interesting? Is it then her story? What was her real story?

Fascinating and clever--and I am SO glad I read Robinson Crusoe first! ( )
  Dreesie | Apr 12, 2016 |
Not my favorite Coetzee. The story didn't engage me the way other of his stories have. Perhaps I have a psychological block on the epistolary form--I don't care for the characters the way I should. ( )
  jtodd1973 | Aug 26, 2014 |

J. M. Coetzeeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bergsma, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

Returning to London after being marooned on an island in the Atlantic, Susan Barton approaches the author Daniel Foe with the story of her adventures with Robinson Cruso and the mute Friday.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0241950112, 0141399384

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,804,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible