The Secret River by marjorie kinan rawlings

The Secret River (original 1955; edition 1955)

by marjorie kinan rawlings (Author)

Young Calpurnia takes her dog, Buggy-horse, and follows her nose to a secret river in a Florida forest, where she catches enough fresh fish to feed her hungry neighbors, even after giving some to the forest creatures she meets on the way home.
Member:sairz321
Title:The Secret River
Authors:marjorie kinan rawlings (Author)
Info:Scribners (1955)

Work Information

The Secret River by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (1955)

I have mixed feelings about this reprint. My family has enjoyed the 1955 version until the pages became tattered and we were forced to get a new copy.

1) Text: It's missing a lot of text!!! I suppose since Rawlings didn't publish it in her lifetime any editor would feel justified in saying the edits were necessary. Now the story is missing some of the interactions of the wildlife, which might be fine for city folk, but not for people who are actually observant (and reliant on such observations) of the natural world. I guess the publisher wanted to limit the number of pages, but it could have been done better by having less white space on the pages.

2) Illustrations: The colorful illustrations with a wide variety of patterns is engaging. I love the way tree bark looks like faces, and how Calpurnia's head is filled with the birds bees or flowers she is imagining. Calpurnia is more obviously a person of color. But. The original illustrations (monochromatic) more accurately portrayed an impoverished community. New version: Calpurnia is wearing shoes (except for when she is stepping in the river)!?! That looks so fake. Anyone who enjoys wandering the woods would also love being barefoot. Did the artist have problems drawing toes? And the scene in the fish market of shoppers "who haven't had anything to eat for weeks" shows an assortment that might be found in a large city store, complete with hats and high heels. I do love the interpretation of Mother Albirtha as an herbalist/palm reader. ( )
  juniperSun | May 7, 2024 |
A lyrical story told in the voice a young girl, Calpurnia, who searches for a river in which to fish so "hard times will be soft times" for the people of the forest. The rhythm, connection to nature, and intelligence remind me of Opal. There was no attempt to make the poems any better than a child could write, which should inspire young writers to try also. ( )
  juniperSun | Apr 3, 2022 |
I feel like this was meant to be a short story instead of a picture book. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
A girl, whose father needs fish to sell in his market, sets out to find the magical secret river.
Short and sweet. Lovely illustrations. ( )
  electrascaife | Jun 5, 2017 |
This is the edition I read when I was a child. I remembered it quite well when I read the new one, with illustrations by the Dillons, 4 decades later.  Mystical & moving.  I especially liked the idea that the wilderness itself can help you find success in your quest, if you simply trust, and follow your nose."" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Rawlings, Marjorie Kinnanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weisgard, LeonardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The 2011 version illustrated by Dillon should be considered an abridged version. If you are more interested in Rawlings actual writing, rather than a children's picture book, be sure to seek out the original 1955 version.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,947,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible