Notes From The Underbelly

by Risa Green

As a guidance counselor at an elite, Bel Air high school, Lara Stone works with spoiled, bratty kids every day, and she is definitely not ready to have any spoiled, bratty kids of her own. At least, not now. Not when her life is going so well, and certainly not since she has finally managed to kick-box and low-carb herself down to a perfect size four.   But Lara's husband has different ideas, and they include fatherhood. Now.   Suddenly, Lara finds herself deep within the underbelly of pregnancy. A far cry from the blissful, glowing mother-to-be, Lara is instead a cranky, reluctant participant in all things baby. And her mood doesn't improve when she's given the task of getting one of her students--the punk, outcast daughter of a famous movie director--into a highly competitive college.   But as Lara struggles with uncontrollable crying, inexplicable weight gain, and scary hemorrhoids, she finds that she has maternal instincts she never thought she had, and discovers that expecting is nothing like she ever expected.… (more)

English (5)  Spanish (1)  All languages (6)
ISBN-13: 9781615549917
  alienegg | Nov 13, 2010 |
What a great book! Lara's story was funny, honest and entertaining. When I first picked up the book, I wasn't sure that I would like it. Green's writing reminded me of Jennifer Lancaster, but I love Lancaster so much that Green wasn't measuring up. But, as I got further into the story, I began to like it a lot more.

While the book was about Lara's pregnancy, it also focused on her job as a college counselor at a rich preppy school. I couldn't imagine working in that type of environment but really enjoyed reading how Lara dealt with the difficult students. For someone who thought she didn't have any motherly instinct, she sure handled these kids well.

There were several bits and pieces of this book that were so funny that I found myself laughing out loud. Sometimes hysterically while trying to catch my breath! Lara was a lawyer before she went into counseling and there is an agreement that she and her husband made that literally almost made me pee my pants!

Overall, this was a fun, quick read. I had a lot of fun reading certain passages and parts to my friends and husband. ( )
  kysmom02 | Jun 22, 2009 |
Pressured to get pregnant by her husband, Lara is not excited at the prospect of having a baby. However, she decides to give in to his demands and then spends the rest of the book complaining about being pregnant. While the end result of pregnancy is wonderful (barring horrible tragedy), it is not a picnic for 9 months, so in a sense, it was nice to have another side presented. However, Lara was so whiny and bitchy about stupid, little stuff and her obsession with weight really got on my nerves. Despite the fact that Lara was very unlikeable, the book had me laughing out loud at moments and was completely addictive. ( )
  bibliophile26 | Aug 10, 2007 |
A fun read, told from the point of view of a woman who *doesn't* want children, only to find out that her husband does. NOW. She then discovers, though the course of her pregnancy, that maybe she is, in fact, cut out for this whole motherhood gig.

Edited, 12-28-07: The book is WAY better than the television show of the same name, which is barely even remotely based on the book. It has the same characters, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. ( )
  lyssrose | Dec 26, 2006 |
The character was likable enough, but...I'm not sure why but I felt it was a "just ok" book. It was funny, at times, but, like someone else somewhere mentioned, most of the characters didn't seem fleshed out, as they are in other pregnancy-themed books. ( )
  moonriver | Dec 20, 2006 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,181,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible