How Fletcher Was Hatched! by Wende Devlin

How Fletcher Was Hatched! (1969)

by Wende Devlin (Author), Harry Devlin (Author)

Feeling his mistress has rejected him in preference to her newly hatched chicks, the old hound dog decides he must hatch from an egg and learn to say "peep" to regain favor.
Member:villemezbrown
Title:How Fletcher Was Hatched!
Authors:Wende Devlin (Author)
Other authors:Harry Devlin (Author)
Info:Parents Magazine Press, Edition: Book Club (BCE/BOMC) 48 pages
Collections:Rod read, Your library, Adele read
Rating:**
Tags:not a graphic novel, fiction, children's literature, picture books, anthropomorphized animals, eggs, hoaxes, jealousy, chickens, dogs, beavers, otters

Work Information

How Fletcher Was Hatched by Wende Devlin (1969)

For my wife's birthday, I bought her copies of a bunch of the picture books she had as a child from her parents' subscription to the Parents' Magazine Press book club. We'll be working our way through the pile over the next week or two. Unfortunately, these creaky old books don't have the nostalgic glow about them that they have for my wife, so my enjoyment is less than hers in general.

First up, we have a hound dog with an Eeyore demeanor who feels slighted that his owner is paying more attention to some new chicks that just hatched on their farm than to him. With a couple of his wildlife friends, Otter and Beaver, Fletcher hatches a preposterous plan to recapture the girls' affection, but it also unintentionally creates a big stir in their small town.

Plodding and dull. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jun 21, 2024 |
An old favorite of mine, and now a household favorite. Lots of opportunities for over-the-top drama and funny voices.
  suzannekmoses | May 21, 2022 |
One of my childhood favorite picture books. ( )
  auldhouse | Sep 30, 2021 |
I loved this story for ages, before I ever owned a dog.... Now that I've got my own sweet pup (and have for nearly 9 years) I know how much more crucial the love and affection shown to my fur-baby is!!! This is a great story!!! ( )
  trayceetee | Jul 28, 2019 |
just super cute. Also: beaver is quite good at armatures. ( )
  Kesterbird | Apr 7, 2017 |

Wende Devlinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Devlin, Harrymain authorall editionsconfirmed
For our daughter, Alexandra
Alexandra sat in the sunlight watching a chick hatch from an egg.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,370,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible