The Death of Captain America, Vol. 3: The…

The Death of Captain America, Vol. 3: The Man Who Bought America

by Ed Brubaker, Steve Epting (Illustrator)

1194155,911 (3.79)1
"He's doing his best to carry on the legacy of Steve Rogers, but things go from bad to worse for Bucky Barnes when the Red Skull makes an unexpected move for the very soul of America!"--Publisher's web site.

This is a review for all three volumes of the Death of Captain America.

A strong narrative that plays a lot on guilt from Bucky, Sharon, Tony, Sam. Each character has its own brand of guilt. Natasha is excellent and her part in the Winter Soldier redemption journey is well done. We even get a cameo from a certain archer.

The villains are quite over the top (as it should be) but the whole arc with Sharon is quite uncomfortable. Was Red Skull really contemplating what I think he was? If so ... ewww.. Moving on to the next volume.

The graphics were beautifully done. The new Captain uniform a good blend of old memories making it possible for Bucky to wear the uniform and still be himself in a way. ( )
  writerlibrarian | Sep 13, 2013 |
Bucky has adapted to his new role rather well in the short amount of time, and it's a good thing too, since Red Skull's plan is coming to its climax. I was a bit worried about continuing a Cap comic without Steve Rogers, honestly. Whenever there is a passing of a mantle, there tends to be a bit of nostalgia, especially with a hero so established. But Brubaker has been working Bucky up to this challenge for a long while now, and I've rather liked what he's done with the character. The Winter Soldier plot has been good for Cap, and good for comics. Seeing Bucky stand firmly in his new role, I'm pleased with the direction of the comic. We miss Steve, but Cap is back. ( )
  nesum | Apr 9, 2011 |
Brubaker continues his epic Captain America run with another solid trade, which sort of wraps up the "Death of Captain America" arc (but not really). Red Skull is trying to groom his own presidential candidate, in order to take over America and destroy it (of course, the potential candidate doesn't know all of that). But the Red Skull's hold on things is starting to crack, especially when he's betrayed by one of his comrades. And Bucky, who has uneasily assumed the role of Captain America, still struggles to act as he believes Steve would. Combined with the fact that there is a "new" new Captain America on the scene, and it's a difficult position for him.

I think what really makes this series resonate with me is how Brubaker is able to seamlessly weave in current events (my favorite was the Colbert '08 sign!) with the Captain America mythos. The story almost feels like it could actually be taking place in the current time, unlike many comic books. Hopefully this won't prove to date the run in a few years; I guess only time will tell. The art is good, and even though this arc has been continuing for a while, it isn't boring or feeling like it's dragging. Brubaker manages to keep it interesting. ( )
  schatzi | Jun 12, 2010 |

Ed Brubakerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Epting, SteveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Torre, Roberto de laIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,870,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible