Ten Days In a Mad-House: The Original 1887…

Ten Days In a Mad-House: The Original 1887 Edition (Nellie Bly's… (original 1887; edition 2021)

by Nellie Bly (Author)

In 1887, Nellie Bly had herself committed to the notorious Blackwell's Island insane asylum in New York City with the goal of discovering what life was like for its patients. While there, she experienced firsthand the shocking abuse and neglect of its inmates, from inedible food to horrifyingly unsanitary conditions.Ten Days in a Mad-House is Bly's expose of the asylum. Written for Joseph Pulitzer's New York World, Bly's account chronicles her ten days at Blackwell's Island and, upon its publication, drew public attention to the abuse of the institutionalized and led to a grand jury investigation of the facility. Ten Days in a Mad-House established Bly as a pioneering female journalist and remains a classic of investigative reporting. This edition also includes two of Bly's shorter articles: "Trying to Be a Servant" and "Nellie Bly as a White Slave."… (more)
Member:jenniferdale
Title:Ten Days In a Mad-House: The Original 1887 Edition (Nellie Bly's Experience on Blackwell's Island)
Authors:Nellie Bly (Author)
Info:Independently published (2021), 104 pages

Work Information

Ten Days in a Mad-House by Nellie BLY (1887)

English (26)  French (1)  All languages (27)
Even all these years later Bly's testimony of her experience is horrifying and powerful. This sort of reporting is the purpose of journalism. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
Short but engaging and interesting. And sad. Glad I finally got around to reading it. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Definitely worth the read for its historical importance. It's just not written to be a story. It's not the most engaging. I also didn't like ending the book without knowing what happened to some of the people the author met. But that's just because of the purpose and limits of her experience. ( )
  ctanons | Jan 26, 2021 |
Nellie Bly was a young journalist in 1887 New York City when she was asked by World magazine to go undercover to expose conditions in the Blackwell's Island Asylum for the Insane. She fabricated a new identity, took a room in a women's residence, and slowly began to exhibit signs of mental illness. Within days she was a patient in the asylum. While there she witnessed the unsanitary conditions, the rotten food, the physical abuse, the lack of any medical treatment, and the lack of any recourse for those placed there under false pretenses. Her editors rescued her after ten days. After The World published her article she was asked to testify at a grand jury about all that she had witnessed. Her story resulted in the city granting $1,000,000. for mental health care.
I have known the story of Nelly Bly for years, but I had never read her story. I live on Roosevelt Island -- formerly Blackwell's Island -- where the madhouse in the title was located. My friend Judy is the Island historian. She has shown me papers in the Island archives about Bly and the asylum for the Insane. Judy also dresses up as Nellie Bly and gives tours to tourists.
In December i decided to participate in the NewYearWhoDis challenge at Litsy. You switch lists of your favorite books from 2019 with another member. The list I received included this book. I thought it was long past time that I read the story in Bly's own words. ( )
1 vote VioletBramble | Jan 22, 2020 |
Ten Days In A Mad House
by Nellie Bly
2015
Open Road
4.0 / 5.0

Nellie Bly was asked by WORLD magazine to have herself committed to one of the asylums for the insane in New York. Then, to write about it for their magazine.

Feigning a mental illness, Nellie was admitted to Blackwell Island Insane Asylum, eventually, being taken to Bellevue. There, she saw patients being beaten and choked, refused water, and left to sit in the dark, punished for standing or moving. They were allowed to shower once a week. This was in 1887, and, unfortunately, many are still abused or denied basic needs to this day. It could explain why this book continues to be read, years after its first publication.

Upon her release, she was summoned before a Grand Jury. Due to the case, $1,000,000 was given to the facility for improvements.

Sad, hard to read, but very concise and honest. Quick but really deep read that tugged at my heart, for sure. ( )
  over.the.edge | Dec 29, 2019 |
I'm finally reading this!! You can broaden your audience by publishing your story on NovelStar Mobile App.
added by rhyleedeign | editLibraryThing.com

On the 22nd of September I was asked by the World if I could have myself committed to one of the asylums for the insane in New York, with a view to writing a plain and unvarnished narrative of the treatment of the patients therein and the methods of management, etc.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,158,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible