The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a…

The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup,… (original 2003; edition 2015)

by Kate DiCamillo (Author), Timothy Basil Ering (Illustrator)

The adventures of Desperaux Tilling, a small mouse of unusual talents, the princess that he loves, the servant girl who longs to be a princess, and a devious rat determined to bring them all to ruin.
Member:Yardape
Title:The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread
Authors:Kate DiCamillo (Author)
Other authors:Timothy Basil Ering (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2015), 272 pages
Collections:To read

The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup and a Spool of Thread by Kate DiCamillo (2003)

English (507)  German (2)  All languages (509)
Love Desperaux! ( )
  mullinstreetzoo | Feb 12, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
I thought this was absolutely adorable and just a joy to read. I thought it would be geared to a younger age group but is actually appropriate for middle school kids. The themes in it are pretty complex - not fitting in, finding your path in life, death, grief, forgiveness, courage, appreciation of beauty. Just wonderful.

Course evaluation:

Personal Response: This modern fairy tale is just delightful. Despereaux is a relatable hero, struggling with his ideals and limitations, while the other characters are similarly complex and interesting.

Evaluation: DiCamillo’s style is suited well to the fairy tale-like quality of the story; she addresses the reader directly (mimicking the oral tradition), uses many motifs (the princess, talking animals, the phrase “happily ever after”), and creates dark moods with plenty of foreshadowing. However, her characterization veers from traditional literature, as characters are not reduced to stereotypes or simple traits; villains are not solely evil while heroes have dark thoughts or show weakness. She reveals her characters slowly, through natural dialogue and flashback. The perspective switches between characters so we see the full story and understand how different factors account for the events. ( )
  JustZelma | Dec 20, 2020 |
Stories are life and love and everything in between. Tears filled my eyes several times. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo is about a mouse, different in features and hobbies from the other mice, who sets out to save a princess named Pea from the rats. This novel is divided up into four parts in which each part is from the perspective of a different character, to all finally merge stories with each other in the final part. I never liked to read until I read this book. It was somewhat different from everything I had read in the past, which really opened my eyes to the interesting and original ideas that books can offer. There is an underlying idea of betrayal throughout this story, which I had never seen before I read the Tale of Despereaux. This book is intended to be read by young preteens, which I agree with as I had also read this book at that age. I would 100% recommend this book to people, especially those who love fantasy. ( )
  Madisonwagner | Nov 5, 2020 |

Kate DiCamilloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ering, Timothy BasilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malcolm, GraemeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The world is dark, and light is precious. Come closer, dear reader. You must trust me. I am telling you a story.
For Luke, who asked for the story of an unlikely hero
This story begins within the walls of a castle, with the birth of a mouse.
There are those hearts, reader, that never mend again once they are broken. Or if they do mend, they heal themselves in a crooked and lopsided way, as if sewn together by a careless craftsman.
Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform.

Despereaux is a
small mouse with big ears and the
heart of a lion.
(passion4reading)

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763625299, 0763617229, 0763629286

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,895,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible