Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia (The…

Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 4) (original 1951; edition 1994)

by C. S. Lewis (Author)

Four children help Prince Caspian and his army of Talking Beasts to free Narnia from evil.
Member:colleentw
Title:Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 4)
Authors:C. S. Lewis (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (1994), Edition: Reprint, 240 pages
Collections:B location, Your library
Tags:fiction, YA

Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (Author) (1951)

English (164)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (170)
A great classic. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
For me, "Prince Caspian" isn't one of the highlights of the Narnia series. Although it continues the journey of the Pevensie children, it seems like relatively bog-standard fantasy fare, with new characters who I actually find don't enhance the story that much. "The Magician's Nephew" suggested there were so many worlds out there, and this - while not a bad story, by any means - doesn't take much advantage of Lewis' imagination, beyond a few funny incidents. Perhaps I'm just not interested in the more standard fantasy tropes that appear here. ( )
  therebelprince | Dec 14, 2019 |
See my video review of the series here: https://youtu.be/g04BC4ephZc

I enjoyed this book just as much as the first, and I was surprised that I didn't remember a single thing about it, considering I'm fairly certain that this was one of the ones that I'd read as a child. The pacing in this one felt more natural than the first, although I'm not sure whether this was because it was paced differently or whether it was because I'm just getting used to way these books are written from reading multiple in a row.

Again, like I said in my review of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, I had to take points away for the lack of gender equality. As an adult reading a fantasy book that was written in the 50's and based loosely on Medieval society (as many fantasies are), I didn't think this book was unduly sexist, but as the Chronicles of Narnia was one of the only pieces of media I consumed as a child that didn't keep boys and girls on a level playing field, it upset me greatly when I was the target audience and I have to take that into consideration.

This time around, however, I have one more complaint that I definitely wouldn't have noticed as a child. The way that C.S. Lewis described Dwarves felt very racially coded. There were Red Dwarves and Black Dwarves, and my concern was regarding the Black Dwarves in particular. They were described as having very thick, coarse black hair (which was depicted as sticking up almost fro-like in the illustration) and the entire lot of them were depicted to have questionable morals and even more questionable friends. I might have been reading into it a bit, but I usually don't notice things like that and even that struck me as obvious, so I needed to comment on it. ( )
  NovelInsights | Sep 21, 2019 |
In Prince Caspian, we see the return of Lucy, Edwin, Susan, and Peter to Narnia. The story takes place one year (in Earth time) or hundreds of years (in Narnian time) since the siblings left Narnia and returned to Earth. When they are suddenly drawn back they find a world much different from the one they left. Prince Caspian and the being of Old Narnia are battling his evil uncle who has stolen the crown of Narnia and who would like the creatures of Old Narnia forgotten. I enjoyed this volume of the story. It held my attention and I felt if I got to know some of the Narnian creatures better than previously. I am really looking forward to continuing to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader next. ( )
  Cora-R | Jul 29, 2019 |
Better than I remembered. Structurally a bit odd and I'd prefer it without the heavy-handed morality, but there's something about Lewis's writing and how vivid Narnia appears to be that is still very magical. ( )
  alexenglishauthor | Jul 11, 2019 |

Redgrave, LynnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To
Mary Clare Havard
Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy, and it has been told in another book called The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe how they had a remarkable adventure.
"You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve," said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor in earth."
Please do NOT combine "Prince Caspian" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.

Narnia... where animals talk... where trees walk... where a battle is about to begin.

A prince denied his rightful throne gathers an army in a desperate attempt to rid his land of a false King. But in the end, it is a battle of honor between two men alone that will decide the fate of the entire world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,562,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible