10,000 Dresses (2008)

by Marcus Ewert

Bailey longs to wear the beautiful dresses of her dreams but is ridiculed by her unsympathetic family which rejects her true perception of herself.

This book is not something you commonly see addressed in children's books. A child who does not conform to gender norms. We have seen this before where female characters fight for equal rights or to "do what boys do", but we don't often see the opposite. Where a boy wants to do something that is primarily reserved for girls. I especially like this the parents are not welcoming of this from their son. We always like to think that parents would be supportive, but that isn't reality. This story does not sugar coat that. Instead, he finds support in a friend, Laurel. The illustrations in this book are also amazing. It is definitely worth the read. ( )
  Bambi882 | Sep 27, 2020 |
I don't know what it is I didn't like about this book. The illustrations didn't do much for me. I did like that the narrator used female pronouns even though everyone else used male ones. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
Sexist family members make a dress-loving, female-identified kid pretty miserable. While I appreciated the message, somehow I didn't love the story. The ending -- where the older girl says the young protagonist is the best girl she knows -- really annoyed me. "Best" girl? I'm not a fan of the idea that someone needs to be the "best" or "better than" to have their identity affirmed. Or that presenting gender by wearing and making dresses makes you the "best" girl. ( )
  adaq | Dec 25, 2019 |
Bailey is a young transgender girl. Bailey dreams every night of beautiful dresses. When she wakes up she asks her mother, father, and brother, to help her get a dress. Her family becomes angry and remind her that she is a boy and should not be thinking about dresses. Bailey becomes very discouraged. She meets a nice lady across the street who is more accepting of who she is. This older lady makes dresses. Bailey shares her dress ideas with her and together they create a dress made of mirrors. [return][return]This book hits on a major problem in our society. Many students are members of the LGBT community and it is important to include texts that they can relate to. Not only is it important for the students members of the LGBT community but other students as well. Through texts such as this, all students can see what the LGBT community looks like. This text will help teach acceptance and compassion.[return][return]Realistic Fiction[return]Reading Level: Primary Readers
  kristi_test_01 | Sep 12, 2019 |
This book about Bailey, a child who does not feelings do not match the gender they were born with, and they dream about dresses. Bailey's family don't support or help Bailey be who she is, on the contrary they are dismissive and hurtful towards her. Bailey runs away and a neighbor helps Bailey make the dresses she dreams about.
1 vote francescaimig | Apr 19, 2019 |

Seven Stories Press

2 editions of this book were published by Seven Stories Press.

Editions: 1583228500, 1583229507

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,771,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible