Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination…

Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination (2004)

by Helen Fielding

1,585None4,646 (3.03)35
All member reviews
English (40)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  All languages (45)
Had to make this one a DNF right around the time she discovered her room was bugged. I just couldn't get into it at all, and it was a sequence of random events happening to this one (somewhat stupid) person and I just didn't care what was going on. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Feb 14, 2014 |
If I book just isn't enjoyable for me, I still try to finish it in hopes that I might find some redeeming quality. Unfortunately, I couldn't make myself read the entire thing. It was just too painful. ( )
  Eyre32 | Feb 5, 2014 |
Olivia Joulles is not a book that gets off to the best of starts, but you need to put your apprehension aside and read it, damn you!

I have to admit that I love this book. Sadly, I don't own it (hints, people). It's a tale of a very overactive imagination in the hands of a journalist. I must admit to having similar thought processes to those mentioned in this book whereby Olivia assumes that seemingly normal people are spies and terrorists out to get her. Of course, this wouldn't be quite so brilliant if it didn't turn out that some of her crazy imaginings came true! ( )
  RebeccaClareSmith | Jan 24, 2014 |
Ok, I'm pretty sure I've read the literary canon of Helen Fielding, and I can definitely say this was my least favorite. I think I didn't know enough about the book going in. After reading the book jacket blurbs, flaps, and covers, here were my expectations:
-a Bridget Jones book about a character that happened to have a different name
-something that would make me laugh out loud
-a light, fun read, with no al qaeda mentions what so ever.

*Spoiler Alert*
Had I read the description of the book on Goodreads, I probably never would have picked it up in the first place, and if I had, here's what I would have expected:
-utter ridiculousness "The Oscars are the bombs!"
-someone constantly writing out the word "slash" instead of using / (which is SUPER annoying, btw)
-a James Bond-y farce

Overall, this was kind of a mix between a Bridget Jones trying to be James Bond and Miss Congeniality and just some ridiculous, highly improbable situations.

My recommendation is this: if you do want to read this book, go into it knowing that it is supposed to be full of hyperbole.
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
A stronger editorial hand was needed for the "jump-cut" sections of the book (and yes, a film/video term is very appropriate given that HF clearly had movie options in mind when she write this book;) and while not great literature, it was silly, fun and entertaining. ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Apr 4, 2013 |
Cute book! I really loved this one on audio-- the reader was fantastic. It's not masterful literature and it's not as relate-able as Bridget Jones, but Fielding's "chin up, girls" voice comes through loud and clear. If you were intrigued by Bridget's adventures in Thailand and thought it would have been better if it hadn't been shoehorned awkwardly into a subplot, this would be a good book for you. ( )
  readrunandrepeat | Apr 3, 2013 |
i tried listening to this in audio...it didn't work out so well ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
Did you love Bridget Jones' Diary?

Helen Fielding has hit the pages again; this time with a new character but just as many funny circumstances.

Olivia Joules is a young British woman who has had to fight to make her way, alone, in the world. She has that fiesty British determination to rise above her circumstances.

Orphaned at the age of fourteen, she changed her name from Rachel Pixley to the much more romantic Olivia Joules.

She has a list of "Rules for Living" that helps her to remain grounded in reality...most of the time. And yet...sometimes...sometimes she gets in over her head.

Olivia Joules is a writer for the Sunday Times. She yearns for the chance to writesomething a bit less "fluffy". If only her editor would assign her to somethingmore important.

Grab this book and join Olivia on the adventure that lies ahead. You won't believe what she gets herself into. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Feb 3, 2012 |
Olivia Joules is a freelance journalist who desperately wants to get out of writing style stories and do serious news. Unfortunately, her overactive imagination tends to create stories that have no factual back-up. While working on an article in Florida, Olivia gets pulled into a situation wilder than her imagination could have created.

My general reaction to this book is "meh". There were a few funny moments but in comparison with the Bridget Jones books, this one suffers greatly. The book also requires a massive suspension of disbelief from about the mid-point on. I also didn't feel particularly attached to Olivia which made it difficult to really care about the plot development. It was a quick and easy read but not overwhelmingly awesome or funny. ( )
  MickyFine | Jun 23, 2011 |
'It's me', she whispered urgently into the receiver.
Olivia, it's the middle of the bloody night!'
'I know, I know. Sorry. But it's very important.'
'OK, what? Don't tell me. You've discovered Miami is a giant hologram designed by aliens? You're getting married to Elton John?'
'No', said Olivia. She began to have second thoughts about asking Kate's advice if she was going to be like this.
'What? Come on.'
'I think I've found Osama Bin Laden!'

Has multi-lingual freelance journalist Olivia Joules really stumbled upon the notorious terrorist hiding in plain sight as a Hollywood producer, or is she letting her imagination run away with her as usual? A strange mixture of fluff and Al Quaeda terrorism. ( )
  isabelx | Mar 23, 2011 |
At the beginning this book had the feel of a pretty decent cozy mystery but then it started to loose focus. ( )
  readingrat | Mar 8, 2011 |
Really funny, exciting and hot, a little bit like a Bond movie but for girls and in book shape. Funny pictures too in the version I read. ( )
  jennyolsson | Feb 19, 2011 |
Only one track on the last CD from the library is audible, and so I have abandoned the book. I was able to hear enough to figure out what the big target was and how the love interest goes, so I'm fine with ditching the book. This will give the library the opportunity to try out the 1600.00 CD descratcher.

Light diversionary read by the author of Bridget Jones.
  bookczuk | Dec 31, 2010 |
not her best work, but mildly enjoyable
  Pammypam | Dec 26, 2010 |
An incredibly easy read, "Olivia Joules" is a winner for those who love mysteries soaked in the bumbling, yet empowering female plot of a quintessential chick-lit novel.

Read the full review at: http://tipsyreader.com/books/chick-lit-romance/book-review-olivia-joules-the-ove... ( )
  tipsyreader | Aug 16, 2010 |
I love Helen Fielding. This book was pretty cheesy, but also pretty fantastic. I read it on the beach and kept laughing out loud and drawing attention to myself. Oops. ( )
  eas311 | Jul 12, 2010 |
I know I sound like a psychopath. But I laughed so much reading this novel. And I want to be her. ( )
1 vote eas311 | Jul 12, 2010 |
Wow, what a hysterical book! Overactive imagination indeed :-)
While I admit it's not a work of great literary merit, I really enjoy it. Once again this proves: I just prefer books that are different.
  verenka | Jun 17, 2010 |
Olivia is a journalist-turned-spy who is sent around the world to expose a smokescreen for Al-Qaeda: the entertainment industry. A fun read! ( )
  SeeHeidiRun | May 4, 2010 |
A great disappointment...if I didn't have a policy of finishing every book I start, I wouldn't have. ( )
2 vote leica | Apr 25, 2010 |
This entertaining book from the author of Bridget Jones and her books reminded me somewhat of Greene's Man in Havana--the spy who wasn't a spy but was led/duped/coerced into spying. It was fun and light, and seriously fluffable. ( )
  Prop2gether | Apr 9, 2010 |
Freaking brilliant! Outrageously untrue, action/adventure/romance(just a tinsy bit). Joules is a journalist with the curiosity of a tiger cub and the courage to back it up. SHE"S AWESOME and my new favorite hero. Outstandingly British, stiff upper lip, situation well in hand and all that. Absolutely WoNderFUL!!! ( )
  trinityM82 | Feb 26, 2010 |
I thought Bridget Jones's Diary, and The Edge of Reason were both vg, so I was expecting this book to rock. Instead...what's the opposite of rock? Pebble? It's chick lit meets spy, only falls far short of Charlie's Angels.

On Wikipedia it says, "In the UK edition, there are comic-strip type pictures of Olivia that relate to her espionage activities." That might actually help. ( )
  PaperbackPirate | Sep 30, 2009 |
Not even entertaining. ( )
1 vote kimiwind | Aug 27, 2009 |
Light, laugh out loud reading. A bumbling female action hero. The scene referencing Osama bin Ladin had me in stiches for 5 minutes. ( )
  Laura5Burgess | Aug 1, 2009 |

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,461,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible