Meet Mr Mulliner by P. G. Wodehouse

Meet Mr Mulliner (1927)

by P. G. Wodehouse

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All (9)
These short stories are somewhat patchy, but there are enough laughs to make “Meet Mr Mulliner” a worthwhile read. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Jun 21, 2017 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Oct 31, 2014 |
These stories, which I've read in other collections, are:
"The Truth about George" - he's a stutterer who loves crossword puzzles and a woman
"A Slice of Life" - he has invented skin care products; his love is in a locked room in a far-off country house
"Mulliner's Buck-o-uppo" - the wrong medicine helps a mild-mannered curate
"The Bishop's Move" - the same medicine again leads to unexpected results
"Came the Dawn" - A poet loves someone engaged to another
"The Story of William" - he discovers true love, drunkiness, and the San Francisco earthquake and fire
"Portrait of a Disciplinarian" - he visits his old nanny and meets up with his ex-girlfriend
"The Romance of a Bulb-Squeezer" - he photographs only the most beautiful society women, but longs for someone different
"Honeysuckle Cottage" - he inherits his aunt's cottage and discovers its supernatural ability to make even the most hard-boiled writer and publisher sentimental

My favorite quotes, this time around:
"The young man's expression, as he confronted his brother, was that which a miasmic pool in some dismal swamp in the Bad Lands might have worn if it had had a face." [p. 113, (2nd page of ) "Portrait of a Disciplinarian"]

"It's either that or something to do with the fourth dimension." [p. 158, "Honeysuckle Cottage"] I believe the fourth dimension also appears in the story of two hats and the novel about a man and boy who switch bodies in Hollywood. ( )
  raizel | Mar 16, 2014 |
Undoubtedly, this is the most hilarious collection of short stories I've ever read. Except for one ("The Romance of a Bulb-Squeezer") which I found only so-so, all the others had me in stitches. I have returned to this collection again and again, whenever I was feeling down in the dumps, and left with an uplifted heart.

Mr. Mulliner is a regular at "Angler's Rest" (a country pub), a "man who has never told a lie in his life", according to his own confession. And the narrator tells us that it is very easy to believe it:

"He was a short, stout, comfortable man of middle age, and the thing that struck me first about him was the extraordinarily childlike candour of his eyes. They were large and round and honest. I would have bought oil stock from him without a tremor."

Mulliner does not tell lies, what he tells are stories about his numerous nephews (in which aspect he has been "singularly blessed"), brothers, cousins and uncles. And if these stories stretch our credibility sometimes, we have to murmur the adage "truth is stranger than fiction" and go ahead.

There is George, the stammerer, whose affliction is cured in a most extraordinary way in a single afternoon; Wilfred, with his marvellous chemical concoctions for all ills; Mulliner's Buck-u-Uppo, which can induce such high spirits that men of the cloth turn into mischievous schoolboys; and the malignant spirit of a pulp novelist haunting a country cottage. As Mulliner narrates the stories in an even voice to his spellbound listeners in Angler's Rest, we too forget the thin dividing line between truth and fiction: after all, does truth matter in front of a good story? And what are stories (from the old myths and legends up to the latest fiction lining the bestseller shelves), other than colourful lies we willingly hear?

Come, suspend your disbelief and get lost in the magic world of Mr. Muliner... ( )
  Nandakishore_Varma | Sep 28, 2013 |
I came to Meet Mr Mulliner having already read later stories in Young Men in Spats and Blandings Castle (which features stories told by Mr Mulliner in the Angler's Rest, although they are all about Hollywood).
Meet Mr Mulliner was first published in 1927 and is a delightful introduction to this most genial of storytellers, who has a seemingly endless set of relations around which the stories are told.
In this first volume, the scene is set and the Angler's Rest described, which is the springboard for the opening paragraph or two of all the subsequent stories, which assume familiarity. Mr Mulliner also receives some brief description.
My favourite story is Portrait of a Disciplinarian, which is about a former nanny bringing together two estranged lovers - it is just so warm and delightful.
Mulliner's Buck-U-Uppo and The Bishop's Move are also two very entertaining connected stories.
I was interested to see on Wikipedia that the final story, Honeysuckle Cottage, was not originally a Mr Mulliner story (first published in January 1925, 18 months before the first Mr Mulliner story).
These stories do not reach the superlative heights of the Jeeves, Blandings or Psmith novels, but they are wonderfully entertaining and so well written.
Highly recommended if you are already familiar with Wodehouse's oeuvre, but crave more. ( )
  CarltonC | Jul 14, 2013 |
TO THE
EARL OF OXFORD AND ASQUITH

UK penguin paperback

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:06 -0400)

Humorous fiction. In the Angler's Rest, drinking hot scotch and lemon, sits one of Wodehouse's greatest raconteurs. Mr Mulliner, his vivid imagination lubricated by Miss Postlethwaite the barmaid, has fabulous stories to tell of the extraordinary behaviour of his far-flung family: In particular there's Wilfred, inventor of Raven Gypsy face-cream and Snow of the Mountain Lotion, who lights on the formula for Buck-U-Uppo, a tonic given to elephants to enable them to face tigers with the necessary nonchalance. Its explosive effects on a shy young curate and then the higher clergy is gravely revealed. And there's his cousin James, the detective-story writer, who has inherited a cottage more haunted than anything in his own imagination. And stuttering George the crossword whiz. And Isadore Zinzinheimer, head of the Bigger, Better & Brighter Motion Picture Company. Tall tales all - but among Wodehouse's best.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,667,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible