El Cazador De Sueños by Stephen King

El Cazador De Sueños (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Stephen King (Author)

8,27281786 (3.33)1 / 78
Once upon a time, in Derry, four young boys stood together and did a brave thing; something that changed them in ways they hardly understood. 25 years later, at their annual reunion, a stranger stumbles into their camp.
Member:sllorens
Title:El Cazador De Sueños
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Círculo de Lectores. (2001), núm. 28035, 636 pàgs.
Tags:.841

Work Information

Dreamcatcher by Stephen King (2001)

English (76)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (81)
The book does go a long way to capture the reader's imagination and hold on. There is a lot of.dialogue but well punctuated by the action that goes on in the book. ( )
  David_Masumba | Oct 14, 2020 |
Another great read by Stephen King. Pick it up... if you dare! ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
For all those people who call this a shitweasle of a novel, I would like like point out that it does exactly what it sets out to do. Maybe the usual King fan comes to the chopping block expecting nothing but detailed flawed characters and some rather heartwrenching stuff before a paranormal beastie chomps down.

But I would like to posit that SK IS a fan of Science Fiction. :) Sure, a few of his SF tales like Lawnmower Man and Tommyknockers might not get the love that they deserve, but remember, he also wrote that little epic called the Dark Tower. :)

So let's break this down a bit. We literally get to the heart of the novel through our guts at the beginning, Shitweasels and all, playing on all the paranoid fantasies of... um... SO MANY PEOPLE... by bringing in anal probing aliens. With a particularly gross twist, thank you very much, Mr. King. And then we get into the whole telepathy thing, the Aliens-type setup, and even a Theodore Sturgeon *More Than Human* homage with a very special special person holding this group of old friends together.

For the longest time I got the idea that it was kinda a Tommyknockers part 2, but then I laughed aloud when we got a massive direct reference to the boys and girl from IT, including Pennywise, and then I started seeing a lot more combined references to all his other novels. As per usual, but nicely solid and world-buildy. :)

In the end, I'm frankly rather amazed at what King pulls off here. Massive military action, chases, alien invasions and spore people and shitweasles and more, we even get a Battle For Your Mind. :) Dreamcatcher, indeed.

What is this book? A traditional horror as per usual? Nope. This is a great mashup that builds on the full Crimson King mythology, thank you very much. :) Pretty hardcore, too.

So why does it get a lot of hate?

Parts are juvenile and crass and other parts are free-range weird. But I like both on ocassion, so this is something I can snuggle up to. *ahem* or stay on the pot with. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
i'm not partial to alien stories or what feels like juvenile, meaningless, and crude gross-out attempts. that's all that i'd remembered of this book so i wasn't going in with high expectations. it was those things, but it was also better than i remember it being, in spite of the alien story and other problems that i had with it.

the main driver of the story was uninteresting to me. the alien invasion (of the earth and of the people) and the subsequent mission to get rid of them before they destroy the earth just felt...overdone. it's not a story i was in the mood for, maybe, but it's also been told too many times. and didn't need nearly 900 pages this time. and he made it much more gross than he needed to. even when i read this when i was younger i felt that it was too much in this one.

the thing that stephen king is good at - and what made this book readable and at times enjoyable for me - is the way he writes friendship and characters. the characters weren't as well done as usual, but it was enough. mainly the bond between the young boys and their friendship was what moved this book forward for me, not the story of the invasion. this is the book's strength, but it's not enough to carry it well or too far.

during the climax of the book, mr gray performs a feat of physicality that made no sense, was quite impossible. it was like stephen king kept forgetting what he was having him do or that he was carrying a dog over his shoulders while doing it.

i wasn't comfortable with the way he treated the character with down syndrome. i don't have a lot of knowledge about it, and i believe he was intending to be respectful (he made this character the hero and named the book after him, after all), but i do not think he accurately described someone with down syndrome. he never should have named the disorder, just told us that he was developmentally and intellectually delayed and moved on.

in describing what it felt like to have been taken over by the alien for a bit: "There were times when he thought he might be the only man on earth who truly understood what it was to be raped." um, except all those men who are raped. what about them??

some poor choices in this one, for sure. and some decent ones, too, but they don't outweigh the lackluster story and mistakes. still, it was much better than i remember it being, and is more interesting than what i'd assume an average alien story is. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Jan 30, 2020 |
A not original Stephen King - a group of people who knew each other since being young kids go against a bad guy. More science fiction than horror makes it a little unique. Here are chapter names: chase begins; chase continues; chase ends. Lots of time spent on the chase, and that was not a good thing.
7,256 members; 3.33 average rating; 6/18/2019 ( )
  mainrun | Aug 16, 2019 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Ullstein (25415)
This is for Susan Moldow and Nan Graham
It became their motto, and Jonesy couldn't for the life of him remember which of them started saying it first.

Set near the fictional town of Derry, Maine, Dreamcatcher is the story of four friends whose lives are altered when they save Douglas "Duddits" Cavell, a child with Down syndrome, from being bullied. The four friends have grown up and live separate, but equally problematic, lives. When they meet for an annual hunting trip, they are faced with an alien invasion and a near psychotic army Colonel Abraham Kurtz, who has patterned himself after Marlon Brando's character in Apocalypse Now, Walter Kurtz.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,631,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible