The Roosevelts: An American Saga by Collier,…

The Roosevelts: An American Saga by Collier, Peter (1994) Hardcover (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Collier Peter (Author)

The story of the Roosevelts is usually seen as a tale of two presidents?Theodore and Franklin?separated by time and politics, and of two families?the Oyster Bay and Hyde Park branches?that had little to do with each other. Collier and Horowitz paint an explosive new portrait which offers a completely unique view of America's longest lasting and most powerful dynasty. In this brilliant biography, we see for the first time how the family divided into two branches and began an epic battle for the family legacy. We see for the first time how the ideals of two presidents were passed on to members of later generations, ennobling some and crushing others. The Roosevelts is a rare look at what brought this exceptional group of people together and what drove them apart.… (more)
Member:williamhansard
Title:The Roosevelts: An American Saga by Collier, Peter (1994) Hardcover
Authors:Collier Peter (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (1994), Edition: 2nd Printing

Work Information

The Roosevelts: An American Saga by Peter Collier (1994)

I was inspired by a visit to the Museum of Natural History in NYC to learn more about the Roosevelts and chose this book to get a sense of the family rather than one of its stronger individuals. i was not disappointed. I found it fascinating - Collier does an amazing job of hitting on events from the turn of the 20th century through the 1970s, giving the family's trajectories and falls a sense of scope. The Roosevelts were split between the Hyde Park and Oyster Bay branches and as years went on, many of them had very unhappy personal lives, but what lives. Very interesting. ( )
  ccayne | Mar 16, 2012 |
A wonderfully written book about the family ( )
  latinobookgeek | Mar 9, 2007 |

Peter Collierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Horowitz, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ratzkin, LawrenceCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I don't care for the Henry James kind of ghosts. I want real sepulchral ghosts, the kind that knock you over and eat fire; ghosts which are ghosts and none of your weak shallow apparitions.
--Theodore Roosevelt
To my son Nicholas Tyrie Collier, with love and admiration
Prologue: It was after the big parade had ended and the spectators, many of them still carrying the little Irish flags they had spent the morning waving at the line of march, had begun to disperse throughout the city, when another crowd began to form outside the stately townhouse on East 76th Street where a wedding was about to take place.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,614,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible