Always and Forever

by Beverly Jenkins

Series: Former Lawman (Book 3)

Beautiful and independent, Grace Atwood is escorting a group of brides from Chicago to their prospective husbands in southern Kansas. Fearing the Jim Crow groups who prey on people of color, she decides that traveling by wagon train is safest. But she desperately needs someone experienced to lead them on the long trip. When Grace meets former lawman Jackson Blake, he seems perfect for the job.… (more)

Summary
Grace Atwood, is requested by her cousin who lives in Kansas the need of women in the area. He requests the offer of mail order brides. Grace is a woman never wanting to refuse a challenge, and bringing 30 women to Kansas to marry men that they have never met is a serious undertaking. But Grace is a city woman, having taking over her father's bank in Chicago. She finds herself desperate to find a leader and guide for the wagon train. She eventually finds herself seeking a particular man, where she accidentally stumbles into his bed in a brothel. Not Grace's typical place of excursions. Jackson Blake, is a ladies man and a man of mystery and surprises. When he agrees to be the director of this women's only wagon train, Jackson and Grace come to an understanding. But as they help train these thirty women, and move out west to Kansas, a love blossoms between Jackson and Grace. But Jackson is a man who can't afford to tie himself down to Grace no matter how much he cares for her. He is a ex law man when his father was murdered and the man responsible unlawfully had a warrant out for Jackson's arrest in Texas. Will Jackson be able to find justice for his father and live a full life with the woman he loves?

Plot and Story Line
What was most intriguing about this story was the way it progresses because boy does it leave you with some twists and turns you don't expect. I had a blast with reading Jackson's story. Jackson is a character we saw briefly in Something Like Love and I was very intrigued. This story takes place a short while following the Reconstruction. Many things for the blacks have been good changes but in many ways especially the more south you go, the worse it gets for these people. I loved the idea of these women going on a wagon train together to marry men that are strangers to them. Grace Atwood is a wonderful heroine and she really is the center of the story but I liked that about this one. We see how passionate and driven she is, and willing to face any obstacle with courage. I did enjoy the way that she is with Jackson. She respects his expertise and knowledge on certain matters, but when it counts she stands up to him almost like a mama bear protecting her young. I just wanted to shout "bravo" so many times. It was quite interesting to see the formation of the plot in this story and the turn it takes toward the later half of it. The writing is simply spectacular and I love the rich history that is placed in the story. It really balanced it out in ways that benefited the romance. The love story that develops between these two starts with powerful chemistry and grows into something with more depth, Love a couple willing to fight for each other and get their HEA.
The Narration
Now this narrator was a bit of a surprise for me. I haven't listened to many male narrators, so it always sets me back in some ways. But eventually I grew to like his tones and inflections. I don't think he necessarily made the book better just by the narration, but he did have a good voice that was easy to become accustomed to.
The Cover
LOVE this cover!!! There is something so passionate about this pose....and boy I have a weakness for these styles of covers! It just sweeps you away.
Overall View
Always and Forever is a fascinating romantic tale of adventure, passion, danger, and defeating a great evil!!! A Jewel Of The Frontier!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 30, 2019 |

Beverly Jenkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Penny, ThomasReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Former Lawman (Book 3)

Belongs to Publisher Series

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,168,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible