Lost in a Good Book (A Thursday Next Novel)…

Lost in a Good Book (A Thursday Next Novel) (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Jasper Fforde

Thursday Next, literary detective and newlywed is back to embark on an adventure that begins, quite literally on her own doorstep. It seems that Landen, her husband of four weeks, actually drowned in an accident when he was two years old. Someone, somewhere, sometime, is responsible. Having barely caught her breath after The Eyre affair, Thursday must battle corrupt politicians, try to save the world from extinction, and help the Neanderthals to species self-determination. Mastadon migrations, journeys into Just William, a chance meeting with the Flopsy Bunnies, and violent life-and-death struggles in the summer sales are all part of a greater plan. But whose? and why?… (more)
Member:leakelley
Title:Lost in a Good Book (A Thursday Next Novel)
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Penguin Books (2004), Edition: Later printing, Paperback, 399 pages
Collections:Your library, Own/Keep
Tags:mystery

Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde (2002)

Recently added byrena75, thewanlorn, Cassabass, hivetrick, Jaydillah, private library, Gallimattias, Julianne11
    Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar (changsbooks)
    changsbooks: If you loved the Wayside School series as a kid, it's time to graduate to Jasper Fforde's own brand of absurdism.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Same kind of quirky humour and style
    Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham (TomWaitsTables)
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (TomWaitsTables)
    Freddy and Fredericka by Mark Helprin (carlym)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Franklyn [2008 film] by Gerald McMorrow (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For washing and washing machine directions.

English (210)  German (3)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (218)
Better than the first one, still shit. ( )
  thewanlorn | Feb 24, 2020 |
Ok... this one was definitely my fault. When I started I didn’t realize it was the second book of a series so I felt kinda lost. Also , just may not be for me , maybe too British ? perhaps I’ll try the first book and go from there . DNF 40%
  katewillett | Jan 31, 2020 |
This series is so wonderfully, delightfully weird! ( )
  CiaraCat | Jan 9, 2020 |
3+/4-

Second book in the series was also an excellent reread. I find it so much bookish silly fun!

At the most recent Friends of the Library sale, I picked up the entire series, in very good condition hardcover, *except* the first installment! Now I'm on a quest to complete my collection. ( )
  joyblue | Jul 10, 2019 |
WARNING: This is book #2 of a series.

For those who read "The Eyre Affair": this second book adds satisfying complexity to the world, further exploring the possibilities of book-jumping and time travel without losing any of the charm and joy of the first installment. Worth it.

For those who have NOT read "The Eyre Affair": um, what? Go read that. Here was my review of that, to save you searching on the VERY unlikely chance you are 1. still reading this, 2. interested, 3. trust I haven't changed something:

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

An absolute joy, if you like that kind of thing.
Rating genre books is always difficult, as are series. Add to that how individual humor is and we are into the absurd. If you enjoy absurdity, literary allusions, detectives, alternate universes, and Wales, good chance you'll enjoy this. The kind of book it seems like tons fun to write. Fast paced plotting, deadpan characters, full-bonkers settings, and bursting with imagination. Closest I am aware of is Douglas Adams, but I am not very versed in this area (are there others?). For me, Fforde is a genius and a delight. ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
In Lost in a Good Book and The Well of Lost Plots, Fforde gets a bit bogged down in all the details of the fictional universe.
added by Katya0133 | editGalef, David, Yale Review (Oct 1, 2008)

There is a certain self-delighted quality to all this cleverness that would probably become annoying if Fforde weren't so resolutely unclever about his own writing. By and large, the story bounds along in one-sentence paragraphs that J. K. Rowling would be proud of.

Fforde, Jasperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Koen, ViktorIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perez, JosephCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, MaggyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, MariPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sastre, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stern, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Book
is dedicated to assisstants everywhere.
You make it happen for them.
They couldn't do it without you.
Your contribution is everything.
Sample viewing figures for major TV networks in England, September 1985... I didn't ask to be a celebrity.
I didn't ask to be a celebrity.
I’ve been in law enforcement for most of my life and I will tell you right now there is no such offense as ‘attempted murder by coincidence in an alternative future by person or persons unknown.’
Poor, dear, sweet Jane! I would so hate to be a first-person character! Always on your guard, always having people reading your thoughts! Here we do what we are told but think what we wish. It is a much happier circumstance, believe me! - Marianne Dashwood
Bloophole: Term used to describe a narrative hole by the author that renders his/her work seemingly impossible. An unguarded bloophole may not cause damage for millions of readings, but then, quite suddenly and catastrophically, the book may unravel itself in a very dramatic fashion.
'Things,' Dad used to say, 'are a whole lot weirder than we can know.'
Attention, please. Passengers for the 11:04 DeepDrop to Sydney will be glad to know that the delay was due to too many excuses being created by the Gravitube’s Excuse Manufacturing Facility. Consequently we are happy to announce that since the excess excuses have now been used, the 11:04 DeepDrop to Sydney is ready for boarding at gate six.

Her adventures as a renowned Special Operative in literary detection have left Thursday Next yearning for a rest. But when the love of her life is eradicated by the corrupt multinational Goliath Corporation, Thursday must bite the bullet and moonlight as a Prose Resource Operative in the secret world of Jurisfiction, the police force inside the books. There she is apprenticed to Miss Havisham, the famous man-hater from Dicken's Great Expectations, who teaches her to book-jump like a pro. If she retrieves a supposedly vanquished enemy from the pages of Poe's "The Raven," she thinks Goliath might return her lost love, Landen. But her latest mission is endlessly complicated. Not only are there side trips into the works of Kafka and Austen, and even Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Flopsy Bunnies, Thursday finds herself the target of a series of potentially lethal coincidences, the authenticator of a newly discovered play by the Bard himself, and the only one who can prevent an unidentifiable pink sludge from engulfing all life on Earth.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,572,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible