Mudshark by Gary Paulsen

Mudshark (2009)

by Gary Paulsen

Principal Wagner confidently deals with a faculty washroom crisis, a psychic parrot, and a terrorizing gerbil, but when sixty-five erasers go missing, he enlists the help of the school's best problem solver and locator of lost items, twelve-year-old Lyle Williams, aka Mudshark.

I had to read Mudshark for a library class and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by both its humor and its indomitable spirit.

My favorite things about the book are the beginning parts of almost every chapter where the school principal makes the most hysterical public announcements ("...and if you see the gerbil, would you please try to herd it toward room two oh six?")

Great writing made me jot down quotes such as:

-"It was all in the way your thoughts ran through your mind, the way you managed the flow of electrical charges jumping from one brain cell to another to form ideas."

-"The one thing that I knew was that I wanted to live in a way that could never possibly hurt another person or creature. Where I could spend the rest of my life seeking beauty. And joy."

And some of the laugh-out-loud scenes include a lost cat (Toby) being taken in a by a new owner and renamed Mr. Cuddles while lounging in a chair and being feed steak.

There are even tender moments where the school custodian (a really great guy called Bill) "whispers a request about where to find true love." He ends bonding with the school librarian Ms. Underdorf who is "wonderfully unhinged."

The sweet wackiness of Mudshark makes this a keeper! :)

booksandcats4ever | Jul 30, 2018 |
Mudshark is the boy that can find anything, but when the librarian gets a pesky new pet Mudshark has some competition. This book is a cute story that will help students know that it is okay for more than on "person"to be good at one thing. I highly recommend this book to all grades for both whole group or independent reading. ( )
  JalisaLouis | Nov 13, 2017 |
This book is about a boy named Mudshark.
Weird name, right?
Well, he finds things.
Lost a shoe? Your phone? Your book?
He will find it with no questions asked.
But when the librarian gets a new parrot, Mudshark has some competition!

I give this book 4 stars.
I would of gave the book 5 stars if it had more humor.
The characters were good too, even the parrot.
But i wouldn't read it again.
That's my review on this book. ( )
  amariyanna.tb1 | May 11, 2017 |
A silly, fanciful, and fun book about a boy who thinks all the time, and remembers where to find lost items. ( )
  fuzzi | Oct 25, 2016 |
Mudshark is a fun story about a boy who is known for being quick and resourceful with a talent for solving mysteries. He has some new competition with the librarians parrot as a new mystery needs to be solved. There is lots of humor and great characters. This book takes place in middle school/high school and is about teamwork and friendship. ( )
  charimc | Feb 3, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,850,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible