Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Chronicle, Volume 1 by Creedence Clearwater…

Chronicle, Volume 1 (1976)

by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Artist), John Fogerty (Artist)

Creedence Clearwater Revival

[18] Hey Tonight [2:41]
[19] Sweet Hitch-hiker [2:55]
[20] Someday Never Comes [3:59]

John Fogerty – lead guitar, vocals
Tom Fogerty – guitar (except on #19-20)
Stu Cook – bass
Doug Clifford – drums

All songs, except otherwise noted, composed by John Fogerty.

All tracks previously released in the albums:
- Creedence Clearwater Revival (1968-07-05): 1-2;
- Bayou Country (1969-01-05): 3;
- Green River (1969-08-03): 4-7;
- Willy and the Poor Boys (1969-11-02): 8-9;
- Cosmo’s Factory (1970-07-25): 10-16;
- Pendulum (1970-12-07): 17-18;
- Mardi Gras (1972-04-11): 19-20.

This compilation first published, 1976.

Fantasy Records, n.d. TT 68:00. Digital Remastering, 1994 – George Horn (Fantasy Studios – Berkeley). Liner notes by Greil Marcus. Chronology. Discography.

=================================================

I have of late been drawn back to the old question of genius and environment. How much the former is influenced by the latter? What makes a genius, innate uniqueness or the Zeitgeist? Obviously both, I should think. But some people don’t think so. They insist genius is entirely congenital and totally independent of the environment. I disagree. Could Shakespeare have flourished a hundred years earlier, in the dark ages of pre-Elizabethan England? Hardly. A hundred years later, in post-Restoration times? Unthinkable. Imagine a Wagner or a Beethoven in the sixteenth century. They never would have been heard of today.

On the other hand, much as it seems to appear at the right historical time, there can be no doubt that genius is a completely different thing than ordinary human nature. And it’s a difference of kind, not of degree. In other words, the time is just as right as it is changed by the few geniuses, at most, it is happy to posses in art and science. The nineteenth century was positively bursting with pianist-composers and operatic businessmen. There is only one Beethoven and only one Wagner. Hummel and Meyerbeer were their contemporaries and hardly lacked opportunity. Both were indeed very successful in their lifetimes. But who remembers them today save for a few eccentric seekers of “forgotten masterpieces”? Wallace may have thought of natural selection at the same time as Darwin. But it was Darwin who wrote The Origin of Species.

So, to sum up, my trite conclusion is that genius in both congenital and environmental. The ratio between these two factors remains open to question and may vary in different cases. I am generally inclined to rate the congenital factor higher. If the environment had been of greater importance, the nineteenth century would have produced more Wagners, Beethovens and Darwins.

Enough vague rambling. A word about Creedence.

Creedence were certainly a product of their time. “Rarely in rock and roll history”, writes Mr Marcus is his brief but meaningful notes, “has there been so close a relationship between creative achievement and audience response”. It was the perfect time (and place, California) for a rock and roll band and Creedence made the most of it. Stu Cook, Doug Clifford and the Fogerty brothers had been playing together since 1959, but only in the end of 1967 did they change their name to Creedence Clearwater Revival and started taking themselves seriously. For less than five years – five years! – until the middle of 1972, they released seven albums. Four of them have since been certified Multiplatinum, two Platinum, and one miserable Gold. The split-up was reportedly acrimonious, but the music remains fresh almost fifty years later.

The late 1960s were full of rock and roll bands, not least in California. Yet there is only one Creedence, as there is only one The Doors. The Omniscient Entity tells us, common mortals, that Creedence’s music is a mixture of “roots rock”, “swamp rock”, “blues rock” and “country rock”. I don’t know what these fine words mean. Frankly, I don’t care. For my part this is, to quote Mr Marcus again, “rock and roll with no excuses given, no questions asked.” Suffice it to add that this music has genius in it.

The few songs they covered are perhaps the finest proof of Creedence’s creative force. With all due respect to the great Marvin Gaye, the 11-minute epic Creedence made of “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” is, for me, definitive. The same goes for “I Put a Spell on You”. You can have Jay Hawkins and Nina Simone, if you like them so much. You can have all other versions, for that matter. For me Creedence blow them away completely. John Fogerty’s soulful singing and stirring guitar work are inimitable. This is also true vice versa, of course. There have been many covers of “Proud Mary” and “Bad Moon Rising”, but none of them conveys even remotely the simplicity and charm of the originals.

One can regret the absence of some classics in this Chronicle, for instance “Midnight Special” and “Before You Accuse Me” (take a look at yourself indeed), both covers, incidentally. But the best is certainly here. The two rainy ballads [11, 17] are worth the price of admission. But then so are the covers, “Proud Mary” and “Bad Moon Rising”, or rock-and-roll-defining tracks like “Travelin’ Band”, “Green River” and “Up Around the Bend” – to name but three. It is no accident that Chronicle, Vol. 2 (1986) has never been half as popular. This first volume is the real thing, “miraculous stuff” in the apt words of Mr Marcus. Every music lover but the most narrow-minded must have this collection on their shelves. ( )
  Waldstein | May 9, 2017 |
Best bang for your buck CD ever, classic stuff--everyone who loves rock and roll should have a copy of this in their collection ( )
2 vote unclebob53703 | Feb 26, 2015 |

Creedence Clearwater RevivalArtistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fogerty, JohnArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marcus, GreilLiner Notessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,489,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible