Liars in Love Dlt by Richard Yates

Liars in Love Dlt (edition 1982)

by Richard Yates (Author)

With his second collection of short stories, Richard Yates continues to extend his range as a writer of stunning power and eloquence.Liars in Love is concerned with troubled relations and the elusive nature of truth-Hope, dread, disorder, and a nervous entangling of separate lives in Greenwich Village during the Depression, as seen by a child, in 'Oh, Joseph, I'm So Tired'. The volatile, perilous course of events set in motion when two divorced mothers agree to "pool their resources" and live together, with their children in 'Trying Out for the Race'. A young American soldier's too-abrupt postwar reunion, on foreign soil, with the lovely, dismayingly grown-up sister he hasn't seen since he was eleven and she was ten, in 'A Compassionate Leave'.The seven stories in this collection showcase Yates's extraordinary gift for observation and description. The last and longest of them, a rich, lucid, and compelling piece called 'Saying Goodbye to Sally', achieves a fitting conclusion for the book - and a resonant final statement of its theme.… (more)
Member:Marco357
Title:Liars in Love Dlt
Authors:Richard Yates (Author)
Info:Delta (1982), 272 pages

Liars in Love: Stories by Richard Yates

While Richard Yates had an enthusiastic following among writers of his generation, his work never received much attention from the general public. His writing career, as a result, never brought him financial security, and his life (notwithstanding two marriages and some children) reportedly was not an easy one, in part due to his addictions to nicotine and alcohol, which eventually led to his death.

"Liars in Love" (1981) was his second collection of short stories, published two decades after his first novel "Revolutionary Road". I found it an admirable collection, though not as noteworthy as Yates' first collection, "Eleven Kinds of Loneliness". All portray loneliness and alienation among ordinary people. The stand-out story among them, in my view, is "Saying Goodbye to Sally", which portrays a relationship and its ending. Potential readers should note that the stories all are contained in the major "Collected Works of Richard Yates", published in 2002. Below are listed the seven stories that "Liars in Love" contains, along with my ratings (on a scale of 5 stars).

Oh, Joseph, I'm So Tired – 3*
A Natural Girl – 3*
Trying Out for The Race – 3*
Liars in Love – 3*
A Compassionate Leave – 3*
Regards at Home – 3*
Saying Goodbye to Sally – 5* ( )
1 vote danielx | Jul 10, 2021 |
Am I officially burned out on Yates? Perhaps. This couldn't get much more than a 'meh' out of me, mainly because the stories seem like re-runs of other stories/novels by Yates. Sculptress mother? Check. Cowardly soldier? Check. TB? Check. Middle class suburban life? Check. Alimony? Divorce? Creative writing? Soul crushing? Check by four. Also odd is how much these stories fly in the face of all advice given to short story writers. Most of them are basically 20 page novels, rather than short stories. I dislike writing-school short stories, and, since Yates is meant to be the greatest short story writer of his age, this book should really say something about that whole racket.
All of that said, the title story was great, as was Trying out for the Race. Saying Goodbye to Sally has its moments. And Yates' narrative voice - he only has one - is all time great. But overall, I think I would've been better off re-reading 11 Kinds... or one of the novels. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
To Sonia Elizabeth Levine

Contents:

"Oh, Joseph, I'm so tired"
"A natural girl"
"Trying out for the race"
"Liars in love"
"A compassionate leave"
"Regards at home"
"Saying goodbye to Sally"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,691,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible