Rising Tide: The Untold Story Of The Russian…

Rising Tide: The Untold Story Of The Russian Submarines That Fought The…

by Gary E. Weir

Other authors: Walter J. Boyne (Author)

"Throughout the Cold War, Soviet submariners patrolled the world's oceans, playing a deadly game of cat-and-mouse with their American counterparts in a silent struggle hundreds of feet below the surface. Rising Tide tells the Soviet side of these secretive operations. Drawing on newly available archives, as well as interviews with a dozen former Soviet commanders - access never before granted to Western researchers - this narrative shows that confrontations between nuclear-armed subs were far more dangerous than we ever thought."."With sixteen pages of never-before-seen photos, Rising Tide recounts successful Soviet operations, including top secret exercises off the American coast, and espionage coups, such as the spy-ship that monitored American missile tests off the Florida coast and collected the debris in full view of the US Navy. All too common were the near-misses, heroic rescues, and deadly catastrophes that plagued Soviet submarines over the years, including the horrific nuclear accident on board the ill-fated K-19, later nicknamed the "Hiroshima"; the internal fire that sank the K-8 in 1970 with twenty-two sailors on board, and the dramatic escape of crewmembers from the Komsomolets in 1989, as narrated by a survivor."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

A very enjoyable history of the Russian submarine force. ( )
  tillywern | Apr 21, 2016 |
An outstanding history of the nuclear submarine programs of both the US and USSR,then Russian navies. While there are no interviews with the Americans there are a number of excellent interviews of retired Russians. There is an appendix with statistics of both countries' submarines. It was surprising to me how few sailors were needed to crew these vessels. That nuclear weapons from both sides were occupying the oceans, often near the coastlines of "enemy" countries, often playing "cat and mouse" games, really war games in retrospect is truly alarming.

Well written and very interesting. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Jan 16, 2012 |
First I want to thank Hakkikt, down on Tasmania, for his mention of this book, on the Recently Reads thread over at Shejidan. Without that mention I never ever would had found it.

Second I want to buy this book. I thought this would be a prime candidate for a library loan, but as soon as I got it in my hand I knew I wanted it on MY shelf. Having actually finished the book I still plan to get it.

This suggests it was a good book, and that it was. It is based on interviews made with Russian submarine officers, many of them commanders, and through these stories the history of Soviet submarine corps is sketched – triumphs and disasters alike, and always with a look at the policies and politics that motivated the decisions. We get behind the scenes in covert actions against the US but we also get to hear how politics killed people through means of defective materiel forced through the production process in too much haste, and we get to hear it from the people who were affected by it.

Rising Tide can be read by anyone; no need to know much about submarines or munitions, thankfully, but a knowledge of the Cold War and about recent history makes for a better reading experience.

My main complaint is a small one. Every now and again the repressive culture of the Soviet Union, firmly based in a lack of respect for human life, is alluded to, as it was specific to Soviet. In reality this has a much longer history and has taken different faces as time has passed. Also I think the story would had gained if the passionate tone of the last third of the book had been more present during the previous two thirds. These are minor points, though.

A readable book, for anyone with an interest in the subject matters – politics, history, and, to a lesser degree – management and psychology. And of course for all those of us who think submarines, much like space ships, are fascinating ;-) ( )
3 vote Busifer | Apr 5, 2011 |

Gary E. Weirprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boyne, Walter J.Authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,753,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible