The Art of Eating by M. F. K. Fisher

The Art of Eating (original 1954; edition 1990)

by M. F. K. Fisher

RUTH REICHL "Mary Frances [Fisher] has the extraordinary ability to make the ordinary seem rich and wonderful. Her dignity comes from her absolute insistence on appreciating life as it comes to her." JULIA CHILD "How wonderful to have here in my hands the essence of M.F.K. Fisher, whose wit and fulsome opinions on food and those who produce it, comment upon it, and consume it are as apt today as they were several decades ago, when she composed them. Why did she choose food and hunger she was asked, and she replied, 'When I write about hunger, I am really writing about love and the hunger for it, and warmth, and the love of it . . . and then the warmth and richness and fine reality of hunger satisfied.' This is the stuff we need to hear, and to hear again and again." ALCIE WATERS "This comprehensive volume should be required reading for every cook. It defines in a sensual and beautiful way the vital relationship between food and culture."… (more)
Member:LindaCSmith
Title:The Art of Eating
Authors:M. F. K. Fisher
Info:Wiley (1990), Edition: Reprint Edition, Paperback, 768 pages

The Art of Eating by M. F. K. Fisher (1954)

English (17)  Dutch (1)  All languages (18)
Includes:
Serve It Forth
Consider the Oyster
How to Cook a Wolf
The Gastronomical Me
An Alphabet for Gourmets
  1redflower | Apr 11, 2020 |
This is an interim review, since I didn't finish it before it was due at the library (and I wasn't able to renew it). This very large (749 pages) volume combines five of Fisher's popular cooking titles (Serve It Forth, Consider the Oyster, How To Cook a Wolf, The Gastronomical Me, and An Alphabet for Gourmets) - 50 years of food essays. I almost gave up on it until I got to "The Gastronomical Me" which was much more interesting - entertaining, autobiographical, humorous, and worth reading. So I'll be checking it out again and will update this review. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Apr 27, 2019 |
This is one of my favorite books. It contains several of MFK Fisher's classic (and IMO, best) books about food, from How to Cook a Wolf to An Alphabet for Gourmets. Even now, 25 years after discovering her, I can still dip into any one of these books and get lost for a while in MFK Fisher's delightful world of food and travel and occasionally, making do. Just one word of advice: Don't make the War Cake from How to Cook a Wolf. Seriously. ( )
1 vote VintageReader | Jul 9, 2017 |
This is a fabulous compendium of several separate books by the essayist M.F.K. Fisher. There is Serve It Forth, her first collection of essays, The Gastronomical Me, a touching autobiography, How To Cook a Wolf, essays on living through post-War food rationing, and An Alphabet For Gourmets, another collection of essays. Fisher's prose is stellar and to read her is to be welcomed into the spacious mind and heart of an old friend. ( )
  Smartjanitor | Jun 12, 2017 |
Autobiography and food. What could be tastier? ( )
  Cleoxcat | May 28, 2015 |

Fisher, M. F. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auden, W. H.Introductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beard, James A.Appreciationsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fadiman, CliftonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reardon, JoanRetrospective essaysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are two kinds of books about eating: those that try to imitate Brillat-Savarin's, and those that try not to.

Legacy Library: M. F. K. Fisher

M. F. K. Fisher has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See M. F. K. Fisher's legacy profile.

See M. F. K. Fisher's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,807,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible