I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson

I Think I Love You

by Allison Pearson

In 1970s South Wales, Petra and Sharon live for David Cassidy and take the Ultimate David Cassidy Quiz thinking that David's letters are all his own work. Over two decades later, bruised by grief, Petra is living with her thirteen-year-old daughter and meets the reluctant pop journalist who compiled the quiz.… (more)

I really enjoyed this one! Half funny YA novel about teens obsessing over a pop idol and half insightful adult novel centering on how family and relationships evolve over time. Reminded me of a little of Nick Hornby. The ending was a little contrived, but loved it despite this. ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
I Think I Love You by Alison Pearson captures the thoughts and feelings of insecure thirteen year old Petra, who, like millions of other teeny boppers in the 1970s, has a massive crush on pop star David Cassidy. The author made Petra’s struggles and angst of trying to fit in with the right crowd and bowing to the whims of the top girl very realistic. Petra’s escape was dreaming of what her life would be if only David Cassidy would show up and claim her for his own. Alternating with Petra’s story, is that of Bill, a recent college grad and aspiring writer who has the job of ghost-writing letters from David Cassidy to his fans. Bill hates his job, can’t stand David Cassidy and lives in fear that his girlfriend, Ruth, will discover that he isn’t the serious rock journalist that he pretends to be. Of course Petra’s source for all things David Cassidy happens to be the very magazine that Bill writes for.

It’s obvious that Petra and Bill are on a collision course and they do meet up at a David Cassidy concert in 1974 but it really isn’t until years later that they develop a relationship. When Petra is thirty-eight and her husband has left her for another woman and Bill is also recently divorced and doubtful that such a thing a true love exists these two once again connect.

Unfortunately I never really warmed up to this story and although I was never a fan of David Cassidy and didn’t really understand his appeal, my problem with I Think I Love You had more to do with its predictable plot and wordy delivery. I did enjoy the first half of the book much more than the second as I thought the author captured the essence of peer pressure and the nature of an adolescent girl’s crush on a teen idol. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 24, 2019 |
The first half of the book is set in Wales in the 1970s where thirteen year old Petra and her friend Sharon are besotted with, obsessed by, David Cassidy. They have an encyclopedic knowledge of him based on their reading of The Essential David Cassidy Magazine unaware that the material is made up and spouted by a young wannabe journalist, Bill Finn. Pearson's young Cassidy fans are portrayed perfectly, down to their colour-coordinated nails. There are many humorous moments where we might recognize our young selves no matter who or what created the obsession. Pearson rendered the teenage girls and the 1974 stage perfectly, right down to the Mary Quant eyeshadow (that I remember well). The girls enter a contest, sure they will win a trip to California to meet the beloved Cassidy. Before the results are known, they sneak off to a concert where a girl is killed in the crush, which brings the worship crashing to a halt.

Twenty-four years later, Petra finds a letter from the magazine that her mother kept hidden informing her that she won the contest. This one-time, Cassidy fan, now music therapist, goes in search of the magazine to claim her prize. The resulting trip forms the second half of the story that examines how we change, how we stay the same, and accepting the results. A slow section around the middle allows the reader to take in Petra, Sharon, and Bill's current lives but the pace picks up again when they fly to California. I adored Sharon, honest and forthright to a fault.

Unfortunately I can't remember who recommended this book to me. I've had it for a few years because I've never had the slightest interest in David Cassidy nor have I seen him in any of his tv shows. I’ve no idea what he looks like or sounds like. Sorry I waited, it was more than the chick-lit that I expected. I really enjoyed Pearson's funny, bittersweet story. I'm sure Cassidy fans would enjoy it even more. ( )
2 vote VivienneR | Feb 16, 2019 |
I Think I Love You is an ode to David Cassidy’s enormous stardom and his millions of adoring and obsessive fans. The story fell flat at times; however, it still made me giggle and kept me interested enough in the characters to keep me reading. Although this may not have been her best work, Pearson is a beautiful writer and will assuredly craft more engaging stories for her adoring fans to devour. ( )
  CherieKephart | Jul 24, 2018 |
Very fun light read. I enjoyed it more than Pearson's previous effort. It reminded me of my youthful love for Michael J. Fox. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
I Think I Love You (a perfect title, really) dares to tangle with the thought that those insanely misplaced teenage obsessions actually meant something, and for that reason it ultimately succeeds.

By far the best section of the novel is the afterword: the transcript of an interview Pearson did with the real David Cassidy in 2004, which set the idea for the book in motion. It is funny, touching, and incredibly insightful into the life of a young superstar. It reminds you just how good Pearson can be.
added by chazzard | editThe Guardian, Jenny Colgan (Jun 26, 2010)

Wales, 1974. Petra and Sharon, two thirteen-year-old girls, are obsessed with David Cassidy. His fan magazine is their Bible, and some days his letters are the only things that keep them going as they struggle through the humiliating daily rituals of adolescence — confronting their bewildering new bodies, fighting with mothers who don't understand them at all. Together they tackle the Ultimate David Cassidy Quiz, a contest whose winners will be flown to America to meet Cassidy in person.

London, 1998. Petra is pushing forty, on the brink of divorce, and fighting with her own thirteen-year-old daughter when she discovers a dusty letter in her mother's closet declaring her the winner of the contest she and Sharon had labored over with such hope and determination. More than twenty years later, twenty pounds heavier, bruised by grief and the disappointments of middle age, Petra reunites with Sharon for an all-expense-paid trip to Las Vegas to meet their teen idol at last, and finds her life utterly transformed.

Funny, moving, full of beautiful observations about the awakenings of both youth and middle age, Allison Pearson's new novel will speak across generations to mothers and daughters and women of all ages.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,822,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible