Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts by Jerry…

Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts (edition 2008)

by Jerry Bridges (Author)

Because obeying God makes sense to us. In most cases, His laws appear reasonable and wise, and even when we don't want to obey them, we usually concede that they are good for us. But the circumstances we find ourselves in often defy explanation. When unexpected situations arise that appear unjust, irrational, or even dreadful, we feel confused and frustrated. And before long, we begin to doubt God's concern for us or His control over our lives. Adversity is hard to endure and can even be harder to understand. If God were really in control, why would He allow the tragic Auto accident or crucial job loss? How could He permit cancer in a loved one or the death of a child? Grappling with His concern for us we ask, ?Why is God allowing this?" or ?What have I done wrong?" In an effort to strengthen his own trust in God during a time of adversity, Jerry Bridges began a lengthy Bible study on the topic of God's sovereignty. What he learned changed his life, and he now shares the fruit of that study with you in Trusting God . As you begin to explore the scope of God's power over nations, nature, and the detailed lives of individuals, you'll begin to acknowledge His loving control. And as you come to know Him better, you'll find yourself trusting Him more completely?even when life hurts.… (more)
Member:dgoepfrich
Title:Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts
Authors:Jerry Bridges (Author)
Info:NavPress (2008), Edition: New, 240 pages

Work Information

Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts by Jerry Bridges

Bridges challenges the commonly-held theology that asserts God is less than perfectly good AND perfectly powerful, and that bad things happen outside of His control. This requires a new level of trust for those of us who call Him Lord. For me, this book was helpful in cementing His trustworthiness and sovereignty and my reasonable response. ( )
  mullinstreetzoo | Feb 12, 2021 |
This is a really hard book to rate. The first half of the book is between 4 and 5 stars and the last half is barely 2 stars. He begins the book sounding like he's attacking the hard questions, like: if God is sovereign then why do so many innocent people suffer catastrophically in natural disasters and why does God allow children to be abused and to starve and suffer and die from cancer? The last half of the book moves away from these problems and focuses instead on just making a commitment to trust God because he is in control and that everything, even when it doesn't make sense, is for your good. I'm sorry to say that he fails rather dramatically at making this case or explaining how and why it might be true. I was disappointed in this book. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
pp. 24-25 = "providence of God" is almost always used in connection with "good" events and not negative events. This implies God intervenes at particular times in our lives but otherwise is just an observer.
pg. 187 = Joseph's difficult circumstances were not necessary just for him to be in the right place at the right time. They were necessary to make him into the right kind of person for the responsibilities God would give him.
pg. 195 = In order to trust God we must first know that He is sovereign, wise, and loving. Then we must choose to trust Him...it is a matter of the will.
These are a few of the truths in this very helpful book. A book worth reviewing periodically.
  peggywhited | Aug 23, 2016 |
Excellent. I love to read Bridges. ( )
  david__clifford | Feb 3, 2016 |
I must admit, I was sceptical. Yet another book on why God lets bad things happen. There have been plenty written already, and some are pretty poor. This one however is excellent. Bridges asks the question: can we trust God? Firstly is God trustworthy? He works his way through God's sovereignty, His wisdom, and lastly His love. We end by looking at thankfulness in all circumstances, even thankfulness for suffering. Finally the reader is to consider whether they personally choose to trust God. A very good book, highly recommended. ( )
  eclecticdodo | Jul 1, 2013 |
This book shares an ISBN with The History of Oklahoma by Arrell Morgan Gibson.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,526,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible