Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts by Jerry…

Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts (original 1988; edition 1988)

by Jerry Bridges

Because obeying God makes sense to us. In most cases, His laws appear reasonable and wise, and even when we don't want to obey them, we usually concede that they are good for us. But the circumstances we find ourselves in often defy explanation. When unexpected situations arise that appear unjust, irrational, or even dreadful, we feel confused and frustrated. And before long, we begin to doubt God's concern for us or His control over our lives. Adversity is hard to endure and can even be harder to understand. If God were really in control, why would He allow the tragic Auto accident or crucial job loss? How could He permit cancer in a loved one or the death of a child? Grappling with His concern for us we ask, ?Why is God allowing this?" or ?What have I done wrong?" In an effort to strengthen his own trust in God during a time of adversity, Jerry Bridges began a lengthy Bible study on the topic of God's sovereignty. What he learned changed his life, and he now shares the fruit of that study with you in Trusting God . As you begin to explore the scope of God's power over nations, nature, and the detailed lives of individuals, you'll begin to acknowledge His loving control. And as you come to know Him better, you'll find yourself trusting Him more completely?even when life hurts.… (more)
Member:drboulay
Title:Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts
Authors:Jerry Bridges
Info:NavPress Publishing Group (1988), Kindle Edition, 215 pages
Collections:After Zoe, Wishlist

Work Information

Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts by Jerry Bridges (1988)

This is a really hard book to rate. The first half of the book is between 4 and 5 stars and the last half is barely 2 stars. He begins the book sounding like he's attacking the hard questions, like: if God is sovereign then why do so many innocent people suffer catastrophically in natural disasters and why does God allow children to be abused and to starve and suffer and die from cancer? The last half of the book moves away from these problems and focuses instead on just making a commitment to trust God because he is in control and that everything, even when it doesn't make sense, is for your good. I'm sorry to say that he fails rather dramatically at making this case or explaining how and why it might be true. I was disappointed in this book. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
pp. 24-25 = "providence of God" is almost always used in connection with "good" events and not negative events. This implies God intervenes at particular times in our lives but otherwise is just an observer.
pg. 187 = Joseph's difficult circumstances were not necessary just for him to be in the right place at the right time. They were necessary to make him into the right kind of person for the responsibilities God would give him.
pg. 195 = In order to trust God we must first know that He is sovereign, wise, and loving. Then we must choose to trust Him...it is a matter of the will.
These are a few of the truths in this very helpful book. A book worth reviewing periodically.
  peggywhited | Aug 23, 2016 |
If you are Reformed, this would probably be a 5 star book. For an Arminian, it has very little to offer. ( )
  Bill.Bradford | Jul 24, 2012 |
In Trusting God, Jerry Bridges tackles some big and important questions. How are we to approach the hurdles life throws our way? How can we trust God in spite of difficult circumstances? How are we to trust him even when life hurts?

These questions all give us pause to think at some point in our Christian life. And there are many books which aim to help us deal with these issues. This book stands apart. Bridges points in an uncommon direction for finding help: the sovereignty of God. Most don’t like to think of God’s being behind the very difficulties that make life so painful.

Bridges is under no illusions as to his ability to provide all possible answers to this age old dilemma. He offers hope but the answers aren’t easy or glib. He doesn’t reveal how he has personally conquered all such doubts and how his life story provides the answers to ours. Instead I picture him sitting down, opening his big black Bible and applying Scripture with care. This book is a Bible study, that will pay great dividends to those who dig in and hear what the Bible has to say about trusting God.

Three themes are explored in depth, in Trusting God. The author explains:

"In the arena of adversity, the Scriptures teach us three essential truths about God — truths we must believe if we are to trust Him in adversity. They are: God is completely sovereign. God is infinite in wisdom. God is perfect in love." (pg. 16-17)

Most of the book explores God’s sovereignty since so many Christians today are unfamiliar with the term and the concept. Bridges carefully shows the extent of God’s control over this planet and each of our lives. If you are unfamiliar with the Bible’s witness to God’s sovereignty you will be amazed at the number of Bible verses and passages that are examined.

God’s rule over all things gives His children hope. God knows what He is doing, and this circumstance is not out of His control. Jerry Bridges explains, “There is no agonizing by God, no hoping He has made the right decision, no wondering what is really best for us. God makes no mistakes.” (pg. 126)

After exploring the three themes of God’s sovereignty, wisdom and love, Bridges deals with how we can apply these Bible truths to our lives. The author’s great confidence in God, by the end of the book, becomes infectious. I particularly appreciated his insight into Christian’s common obsessing over knowing God’s will for us when it comes to a decision. I think his advice on this point is worth repeating at some length:

"Consider the book of Acts. The only reference to the disciples seeking to determine the will of God occurs in the choosing of Matthias to succeed Judas. From that point onward, it is a record of God’s guiding His people…. God does have a plan for each of us. He has given each of us different gifts, abilities, and temperaments and has placed each of us in the body of Christ according to His will…. We do have a responsibility to make wise decisions or to discover the will of God, whichever term we may prefer to use. But God’s plan for us is not contingent upon our decisions. God’s plan is not contingent at all. God’s plan is sovereign. It includes our foolish decisions as well as our wise ones." (pg. 181-182)

Isn’t that perspective refreshing? Bridges shares his heart in this book. It doesn’t appear to have been an easy one for him to write. You can tell he’s been through a lot personally and has shared the grief of many who have suffered even more. His personal accounts and illustrations add life to the book. His openness about his sin and failures to trust God is inspiring. He writes with an earnestness and confidence that can only be accompanied by prayers for those of us who would read this important book.

This book will be challenging at times, but the effort is rewarding. I encourage you to pick up a copy of this book and spend some time learning from Jerry Bridges as he takes you through the Bible. You will be better equipped to face the suffering that is in store for all of us. And you will find yourself trusting God, even when life hurts.

Disclaimer: This book was provided by NavPress for review. I was under no obligation to offer a favorable review.

An expanded version of this review is available at CrossFocusedReviews.com, where you can find book excerpts, giveaways, promotional offers, audio reviews and more. ( )
1 vote bobhayton | Aug 16, 2010 |
Excellent. I love to read Bridges. ( )
  david__clifford | Feb 3, 2016 |
This book shares an ISBN with The History of Oklahoma by Arrell Morgan Gibson.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,363,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible