Wolverine: Origins Deadpool by Daniel Way

Wolverine: Origins Deadpool (edition 2009)

by Daniel Way

Member:stevepugh
Title:Wolverine: Origins Deadpool
Authors:Daniel Way
Info:Marvel Comics (2009), Paperback, 168 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:!borrowed, fiction, graphic novel, superhero

Wolverine: Origins, Vol. 5 – Deadpool by Daniel Way

This volume was basically just a battle. That’s all. This wasn’t too bad because it isn’t a long book. But it kind of snuck up on me. It just started all of the sudden. But it all comes together and makes sense at the end of the volume. The artwork changed again between first five chapters and the last two, which threw me off a little. I prefer my artwork to be consistent. So we’ll see if this continues to happen. This looks like the last in the series by Daniel Way, so there’s bound to be change in the next series of Wolverine I can find and pick up. ( )
  Kassilem | Mar 16, 2014 |
Collects Wolverine Origins #21-27 ( )
  angellreads | Oct 20, 2010 |
** mild spoilers below **

I consider myself to be a big Deadpool fan, so I was thrilled to see him making an appearance, especially squaring off against Wolverine (again).

Despite the 1.5-star rating, these issues really did have a couple of high points. I read someone calling this Way's "audition" for the solo run of Deadpool, and I can see it. There were two scenes in this arc that I think he not only nailed the Deadpool I "see" when I read comics (heavily influenced by Joe Kelly's run, where he's less of a buffoon and more of a three-dimensional, gritty, conflicted man), but hit it completely out of the park: the time when Wade is donning his uniform and looks at his unmasked face in the mirror with a frown, then puts on his mask and does a "hey oh" is the first; the second is the conversation he holds with Wolverine about revenge and being your true self, complete with the flashbacks Wade has about his father.

If Way focused more on this kind of writing, I'd be one happy camper. Unfortunately, he doesn't. I hate "'Pool-o-vision" with a passion (I think it's stupid and makes him look like an idiot), and I hate Deadpool playing the part of Wiley Coyote throughout the arc. I suppose that writers like Joe Kelly, Fabian Nicieza, and Gail Simone have ruined me for the "cheap jokes" that so many other writers seem to use with Deadpool.

That said, the art in Origins is driving me crazy. I don't like it at all. Wade looks more like a burn victim than a cancer survivor; then again, I don't care for how he looks in Sins of the Past either and I still love that mini, so I guess if the story had been better, I wouldn't be complaining so much.

I don't think that I will be reading any more of Wolverine: Origins after this. The story just isn't holding my interest, and there are plenty of other comics out there that do. ( )
  schatzi | Sep 20, 2009 |
This is part of the storyline of Logan finding and fighting his son. Entwined in this dysfunctional family drama is Deadpool, who is not only a limb regenerating bad guy, but also a real comedian. ( )
  kivarson | May 2, 2009 |

He's a born killer, highly trained in the art of violence. He's a man out of time, living without fear of death. He's the best there is at what he does, and he's about to do it to Wolverine. Enter: DEADPOOL! Collects Wolverine: Origins #21-27.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:05 -0400)

"Two men, both products of the Weapon X program, both highly trained killers. One claims to be the best there is at what he does, though what he does isn't very nice-- the the other is the Merc with a Mouth, and he might just have something to say about that claim! It's Deadpool vs. Wolverine, no quarter asked or given! But when both men can regenerate virtually any wound in a matter of moments, just how does either man expect to finish off his foe? And whoever wins will have to face down Daken, Wolverine's murderous son, who has a healing factor and aptitude for killing to match them both!" -- from back of dust jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,572,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible