The Pepins and Their Problems

by Polly Horvath

The reader is invited to help solve the Pepin family's unusual problems, which include having a cow who creates lemonade rather than milk and having to cope with a competitive neighbor.

Sheer nonsense. If I were young I'm confident I would have liked it. I did appreciate the different 'psychic suggestions' 'the author' 'received from' 'the {beta?} readers.' That is to say, I liked the meta -textual gimmick. But I know I've seen this concept before, about a family that has no common sense at all. I can almost dredge up the memories of the picture books that do it - maybe [b:The Stupids Step Out|404978|The Stupids Step Out (The Stupids, #1)|Harry Allard|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1174466412s/404978.jpg|725103] et al, for example? But older than that there's a vague memory of a chapter book... ??

Anyway, this is cute, and there is some social commentary and other ideas of value snuck in painlessly. Read at least one book by Horvath to see if you like her. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Hilarious! Meet Mr. and Mrs. Pepin, their children Petunia and Irving, their dog Roy, their cat Miranda, their cow Nelly and their "very fine neighbor" Mr. Bradshaw, an inventive snack-food maker who helps solve their various problems, like how to get down off the roof or what to do with the dapper man who arrives unannounced on their doorstep. The author claims to have psychic antennae with which she can receive the thoughts of her readers who send out suggestions for solving the various problems. ("A reader from Grow, Texas, thinks the Pepins should build an identical house...") Knock-out twists of phrases and the author's chatty repartee with her readers make for a funny read that works for kids and adults.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
ugh truly bad...I couldn't get past chapter two. Just nonsense and not in the good way that I tend to like nonsense. I finally closed the book and declared the characters little idiots...too painful to read further. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
This book is about a family (the Pepins) who get lots of problems everyday that have to be solved. This isn't any odarnary family either because they have a cow that makes lemonade and a talking dog & cat( that traveled around the world in a little airplane).I like this book because it's a funny and interesting book to read. The family has to come up with ideas together so they can solve the problem. There problems do actually gat solved. Thank's to the Pepins! ( )
  LiLLY.afou5564 | Oct 2, 2011 |
This book is very funny. Especially for the part of the cow, Nelly making lemonade. jajaj I really like it. You should do a sequel.
  mafecastrowu | Mar 9, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,155,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible