Peter and the Starcatchers by Ridley Pearson

Peter and the Starcatchers (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Ridley Pearson (Author)

Series: Starcatchers (1)

Soon after Peter, an orphan, sets sail from England on the ship Never Land, he befriends and assists Molly, a young Starcatcher, whose mission is to guard a trunk of magical stardust from a greedy pirate and the native inhabitants of a remote island.
Member:KurtzLibrary
Title:Peter and the Starcatchers
Authors:Ridley Pearson (Author)
Info:Disney Editions (2004), Edition: 1st, 464 pages

Work Information

Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry (2004)

English (144)  German (1)  All languages (145)
y Dave Barry, Ridley Pearson | Read by Jim Dale
Children Ages 10+ • 9 hrs. • Unabridged • © 2004
Barry and Pearson spin the tale of how an orphan of indeterminate age with no last name will become Peter Pan. Onboard the decrepit old ship Never Land, Peter and his friends endeavor to save an old trunk containing a powerful magic substance from a crew of pirates. Jim Dale gives a one-man performance that is truly astonishing. He creates distinct voices for all the characters--pirates, women, British soldiers, and native tribesmen. Adults and children alike will enjoy this rollicking tale of pirates, talking porpoises, flying children, and a giant crocodile. A little distracting is the excessive bookmarking--90+ tracks on each CD make it tedious to recapture your place. A.B. Winner of AudioFile Earphones Award, 2005 YALSA Selection, 2005 Audie Award Finalist, SYNC 2014 © AudioFile 2004, Portland, Maine [Published: DEC 04/ JAN 05]

Trade Ed. • Brilliance Audio • 2004

CS ISBN 1-59355-976-3 $29.95 • Six cassettes

CD ISBN 978-1-4692-5724-2 $14.99 • Seven CDs

DD ISBN 9781597105705 $19.99
  Gmomaj | Oct 29, 2021 |
My goodness Jim Dale is an amazing narrator.

I thought it was a very believable "prequel".

I thought the story was a bit too long. Well done but long. I wouldn't of minded if Slank (which is the character on the cover) had less book time. Perhaps that is one way the story could of been shortened. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 23, 2021 |
Peter Pan + Lord of the Rings + Titanic

Peter and the other orphans he has grown up with are being sent away from the orphanage/school they have grown up in. They have been sold into servitude, but must travel by ship to get there. Along the way, Peter meets a friend, Molly, and is also allowed by a strange box. As always, there be pirates along the seas...

This is one of my favorite series of all times! I’m sorry that I let the insane work hours take priority over keeping track of the series. This is one of my rereads that has me more excited for my reread than new books this year. Also, between a combination of time and memory loss after a medical procedure, it’s like I’m reading it for the first time again.

Ridley Pearson’s daughter asked her Daddy how after and a pirate met, and this is the result. It is one of those stories that may be classified as middle grade, but easily appeals to young adults and adults alike. The world-building is marvelous, with the bulk being new masterful storytelling with touches of classic J.M. Barrie to summon loving nostalgia. Characters, new and old, are well fleshed-out and brought out string emotions from this reader. Greg Call’s illustrations are jaw-dropping (THAT COVER!!)!

Buy this for yourself or anyone who loves retellings. If you’re twisted, get it for someone who gets seasick. ( )
1 vote punkypower | Jan 12, 2021 |
Pleasant prequel to "Peter Pan". The audiobook edition enhances some of the exciting adventures so I will give it 3½ stars. ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 22, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Pearson and Barry offer a deft combination of laughter and fear -- that is, fear undergirded by a sense of final safety. It's a roller coaster of a plot in more senses than one, and considering their publisher -- Disney, with its Tinkerbell logo well displayed here -- I don't suppose that's a surprise.

Dave Barryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pearson, Ridleymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bean, GerdaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Call, GregIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dale, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Storey, Rob, and Sophie; Marcelle and Michelle; and of course, Paige, whose idea this was.
The tired old carriage, pulled by two tired old horses, rumbled onto the wharf, its creaky wheels bumpety-bumping on the uneven planks, waking Peter from his restless slumber.

In this trilling sequel for the classic Peter Pan, an orphan named Peter and his friends are going to leave on a ship called the Neverland, but his destination is unknown. The ship is also holding Molly Aster, a mysterious girl who seems to be holding secrets from Peter. The ship's crew also have a trunk that nobody seems to know much about. Nobody, that is, but Molly Aster. Suddenly, Peter's life is turned upside-down as he is thrown into a perilous battle between the secretive Starcatchers, a crew of pirates led by the cunning Black Stache and the deadly others, all for the mysterious trunk, which Peter soon finds out contains power beyond his wildest imaginings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,571,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible