American Psycho (1991)

by Bret Easton Ellis

Patrick Bateman moves among the young and trendy in 1980s Manhattan. Young, handsome, and well educated, Bateman earns his fortune on Wall Street by day, while spending his nights in ways we cannot begin to fathom. Expressing his true self through torture and murder, Bateman prefigures an apocalyptic horror that no society could bear to confront.… (more)
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (sacredheartofthescen)
    sacredheartofthescen: Both about bored men in American society that found odd ways to fill their time and become what they want to be.
    The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson (gtross)
    gtross: I would be very much surprised if Bret Easton Ellis hadn't been influenced by Jim Thompson's first person narrative of a psychopathic mind.
    The Maimed by Hermann Ungar (askthedust)
    Killer on the Road by James Ellroy (yokai)
    In the Miso Soup by Ryū Murakami (TheRavenking)
    People Live Still in Cashtown Corners by Tony Burgess (ShelfMonkey)
    The Seven Days of Peter Crumb: A Novel (P.S.) by Jonny Glynn (gooneruk)
    gooneruk: Peter Crumb is more intense, shorter, and more schizophrenic, but Bateman is a good cross-Atlantic mirror for him.

English (227)  French (10)  Danish (3)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (251)
meh ( )
  RebeccaBooks | Sep 16, 2021 |
This is a difficult one to rate. 3.75, 3.5? The writing was fine, I loved the group dynamics but some of the violence was so extreme it makes me question the line between character and writer. It was intense, one of a kind, gory. ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
This was a wierd book. It wasn't much fun to read. Especially the parts about him describing everyone's dress got real tiring real quick, maybe because I'm not American and haven't heard of any of those brands and don't know what pumps or a double-breasted coat are either, so it was mostly gibberish for me. I would say at least 60% of this book was a chore to read. I didn't like the language, and all those parts where he just goes on about reviewing some American music artist from 80s, what's that about? Total gibberish for me, but maybe that's because it was written for Americans I guess, so can't really complain- read books from your own countrymen if you want full cultural immersion.
Now the gore and sex scenes were really graphic, and those are the only reason I could finish this book. Indeed I wanted to give up reading this many times but then another of those scenes would come up and I would find myself entranced, that's how I got through this.
I didn't understand much of this either, I think. Or was there anything to understand? Maybe I will have to read reviews or something to understand. I especially want to know what's up with all those random list of objects and those reviews just out of nowhere. Is it supposed to be another facet of Bateman's life? Why is it so long and so tenuously connected to the main narrative? Was my ebook corrupted and that's why I was seeing all that? I just don't know. This book really didn't make much sense for me. There was no satisfying ending either. I just kept on plowing through it because of a morbid facination for Bateman's "deeds". ( )
  Sebuktegin | May 25, 2021 |
This only gets a 3 because I've never read anything like it before. It made me sick. ( )
  jmacccc | Apr 30, 2021 |
Hard time determining stars on this book. It is a very powerful book that really sticks with you as you read it and after you are done. This has some of the most graphic and disturbing scenes I think I have ever read. I had to put it down several times because it was too much all at once, yet it somehow seemed necessary in a way I don't think I could define. ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
You get the feeling that Mr. Ellis began writing his novel with a single huge emotion of outrage, and that he never in his three years of working on it paused to modulate that emotion or to ask if it was helping to construct an imaginary world. How else could he have written scenes so flat and tedious that the reader wants to scream? Surely not with profit or exploitation in mind. If so, commercialism has never before produced anything so boring.

Where Bonfire owed some part of its success to the reassurance it offered the rich—“You may be silly,” Wolfe was saying in effect, “but, brother, the people down at the bottom are unspeakably worse”—Ellis’s novel inverts the equation. I cannot recall a piece of fiction by an American writer that depicts so odious a ruling class—worse, a young ruling class of Wall Street princelings ready, presumably, by the next century to manage the mighty if surrealistic levers of our economy...

If the extracts of American Psycho are horrendous, therefore, when taken out of context, that is Ellis’s fault. They are, for the most part, simply not written well enough. If one is embarked on a novel that hopes to shake American society to the core, one has to have something new to say about the outer limits of the deranged—one cannot simply keep piling on more and more acts of machicolated butchery.
added by SnootyBaronet | editVanity Fair, Norman Mailer

Ellis, Bret Eastonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Culicchia, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenders, BaltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
L'auteur de ce journal et le journal lui-même appartiennent évidemment au domaine de la fiction. Et pourtant, si l'on considère les circonstances sous l'action desquelles s'est formée notre société, il apparaît qu'il peut, qu'il doit exister parmi nous des êtres semblables à l'auteur de ce journal. J'ai voulu montrer au public, en en soulignant quelque peu les traits, un des personnages de l'époque qui vient de s'écouler, un des représentants de la génération qui s'éteint actuellement. Dans ce premier fragment, intitulé Le Sous-Sol, le personnage se présente au lecteur, il expose ses idées et semble vouloir expliquer les causes qui l'ont fait naître dans notre société. Dans le second fragment, il relate certains évènements de son existence.

Fedor Dostoïevski
Le Sous-Sol
Une des grandes erreurs que l'on peut commetre est de croire que les bonnes manières ne sont que l'expression d'une pensée heureuse. Les bonnes manières peuvent être l'expression d'un large éventail d'attitudes. Voici le but essentiel de la civilisation : exprimer de façon élégante et non pas agressive. Une de ces errances est le mouvement naturiste, rousseauiste des années soixante où l'on disait : "Pourquoi ne pas dire tout simplement ce que l'on pense ?" La civilisation ne peut exister sans quelques contraintes. Si nous suivions toutes nos impulsions, nous nous entretuerions.

Miss Manners (Judith Martin)
And a thing fell apart
Nobody paid much attention

Talking Heads
for Bruce Taylor
ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE, is scrawled in blood red lettering on the side of the Chemical Bank near the corner of Eleventh and First and is in print large enough to be seen from the backseat of the cab as it lurches forward in the traffic leaving Wall Street and just as Timothy Price notices the words a bus pulls up, the advertisement for Les Misérables on its side blocking the view, but Price who is with Pierce & Pierce and twenty-six doesn't seem to care because he tells the driver he will give him five dollars to turn up the radio, "Be My Baby" on WYNN, and the driver, black, not American, does so.
And if another round of Bellinis comes within a twenty-foot radius of this table we are going to set the maitre d' on fire. So you know, warn him. - Timothy Price
"Beat the shit out of him," the girl suggests, pointing at me. "Oh honey," I say, shaking my head, "the things I could do to you with a coat hanger."
"Blitzen was a reindeer"
"The only Jewish one," Peterson reminds us.
...McDermott, in a state of total frustration, asked the girls if they knew the names of any of the nine planets. Libby and Caron guessed the moon. Daisy wasn't sure but she actually guessed...Comet. Daisy thought that Comet was a planet. Dumbfounded, McDermott, Taylor and I all assured her that it was.
"Lobster to start with? And for an entrée?"
"What do you want me to order? The Pringle Potato Chip appetizer?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,314,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible