American Psycho (1991)

by Bret Easton Ellis

12,619268414 (3.71)336
In American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis imaginatively explores the incomprehensible depths of madness and captures the insanity of violence in our time or any other. Patrick Bateman moves among the young and trendy in 1980s Manhattan. Young, handsome, and well educated, Bateman earns his fortune on Wall Street by day while spending his nights in ways we cannot begin to fathom. Expressing his true self through torture and murder, Bateman prefigures an apocalyptic horror that no society could bear to confront.… (more)
    Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (sacredheartofthescen)
    sacredheartofthescen: Both about bored men in American society that found odd ways to fill their time and become what they want to be.
    The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson (gtross)
    gtross: I would be very much surprised if Bret Easton Ellis hadn't been influenced by Jim Thompson's first person narrative of a psychopathic mind.
    In the Miso Soup by Ryū Murakami (TheRavenking)
    The Maimed by Hermann Ungar (askthedust)
    Killer on the Road by James Ellroy (yokai)
    People Live Still in Cashtown Corners by Tony Burgess (ShelfMonkey)
    Crash by J. G. Ballard (amanda4242)
    The Seven Days of Peter Crumb: A Novel (P.S.) by Jonny Glynn (gooneruk)
    gooneruk: Peter Crumb is more intense, shorter, and more schizophrenic, but Bateman is a good cross-Atlantic mirror for him.

English (238)  French (10)  Dutch (3)  Danish (3)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (263)
Si, me tardé todo eso en leerlo

No sé, creo que no puedo explicar a palabras simples lo malo que es. ( )
  pmesinas | Sep 28, 2022 |
This book perfectly encapsulates the yuppie businessmen mentality of the 1980's. A lot of things that happen in the book, wasn't included in the film adaptation, due to it being way too graphic, hence why not everything in the book is in the film adaptation.
They live in their own little bubble, their own world disconnected from society (this includes anyone that is poor, diseased, a junkie, prostitute gay, "mulatto" or anyone they would consider undesirable like the nazi's did)
These "yuppies" aren't that much different from today's pioneering entrepreneurs, visionaries that commodify and make a profit from those that suffer with no positive resolution, they might be the direct cause of their suffering but the yuppie would take pride in their work.
They only care about their contribution to society and how their interaction with other people benefits them.
As long as they benefit something from that person or interaction then that relationship will remain to be beneficial temporarily until they abandon the person(s) completely because they no longer provide then with what they need or want so it won't boost their ego any longer and the relationship is terminated.
These types of people are psychopaths (but not always criminals just good at "business")
A lot of these people have narcissistic personality disorders/personality traits which they could use to manipulate people and mask their true intentions in the same way that Patrick Bateman does so well.
I'm struggling to get through this book so far possibly due to the era it is set in and the differences in the classes, the elitists judging the underdogs that are the working/middle class and the poor.
I don't like their attitude/opinion of people they would consider beneath them or worthy of being a slave, just because they are part of the corporate business world and they are successful.
Who cares if you have a better lifestyle/live comfortably and own a fancy car, clothing with a designer's name on in, earn more money than most people.
People that are rich or well off financially believe they are entitled to treat other people that are struggling financially/poor treat people like a worthless piece of shit?
I don't care about designer clothing, or fancy cars, I have had to live without the things I could not afford.
I've grown u in poverty, in a one-parent household.
I never understood why rich people/people that have enough money for whatever they need it for feel the need to compare their excessive lifestyle to that of a person that is worse off, struggling to make ends meet & they lead a miserable existence, you are nowhere near in the same league as each other.
What gives you the right to judge how that person lives their life?
What gives you the right to feel superior to that person or poor families just because you have more money than them, it doesn't make you better than them, it doesn't mean your a better person due to your bank account. I personally believe money makes people more deviant and corrupt, they are tainted by greed and lust.
(I can say from personal experience, that I will probably always be dirt poor and nothing will improve for myself financially or any other way, it's poverty and nothing will change that) but for a minority or group of people whether are fictional to judge me and bitch about me or people in general in society just for being poor is unforgivable, it's pathetic. Money does not equate to your self worth, no one should be dismissed to a lack or abundance of money, it should not affect how you treat others around you.
I personally think money is root of all evil in the world, most of the time anyway.
Whether you are a have or have not everyone should be treated as an equal, with respect and to be helpful to those that need.
So long as there are different classes of people there will always be segregation and hatred in the world, crimes will still be committed due to a lack of support and money.
I can't stand the characters in this book there are a lot of personality traits of the characters I cannot in any way relate to, because I am among the minority of people they would think are misusing the welfare system, even though it is available to those that need it, such as myself because I am extremely poor and always have be.
Reading this book pisses me off!
I really hate the over emphasis to explain all the items the characters own, it reminds me of the main character from Fight Club when he says about all the things he buys/owns that are straight out of an Ikea catalogue.
It's boring to read and I really don't care about it!
Who ever knew that rich people/people that are well off/middle class are just as narcissistic, sadistic, perverted, depraved, materialistic as everyone else :/ ( )
  EvilCreature | Sep 22, 2022 |
mid ( )
  suzdalcat | Aug 27, 2022 |
This book is incredibly written, I just wasn't the biggest fan of it. Don't get me wrong I knew before reading it what it was about, I just didn't think it would be so horrific and as detailed in every aspect of the book, from the kills to the workout routine and beauty regimen. There were some aspects of this book that were great and a joy to read but this just wasn't for me. ( )
  KatarinaRogers | Aug 20, 2022 |
Infamous for its publishing history, manufactured controversy, and the unpleasant personality of the author. Behind all the noise is average prose about some boring and some gross subjects. It feels like the creative writing project of a very hurt, lonely undergrad to me. I don't see this work or this writer as anything more than a very minor footnote in American Literature--if that even. ( )
  ProfH | Jul 28, 2022 |
What’s rarely said in all the furor over this novel is that it’s a satire, a hilarious, repulsive, boring, seductive, deadpan satire of what we now call--as if it were something in the past--the Age of Reagan.

You get the feeling that Mr. Ellis began writing his novel with a single huge emotion of outrage, and that he never in his three years of working on it paused to modulate that emotion or to ask if it was helping to construct an imaginary world. How else could he have written scenes so flat and tedious that the reader wants to scream? Surely not with profit or exploitation in mind. If so, commercialism has never before produced anything so boring.

Where Bonfire owed some part of its success to the reassurance it offered the rich—“You may be silly,” Wolfe was saying in effect, “but, brother, the people down at the bottom are unspeakably worse”—Ellis’s novel inverts the equation. I cannot recall a piece of fiction by an American writer that depicts so odious a ruling class—worse, a young ruling class of Wall Street princelings ready, presumably, by the next century to manage the mighty if surrealistic levers of our economy...

If the extracts of American Psycho are horrendous, therefore, when taken out of context, that is Ellis’s fault. They are, for the most part, simply not written well enough. If one is embarked on a novel that hopes to shake American society to the core, one has to have something new to say about the outer limits of the deranged—one cannot simply keep piling on more and more acts of machicolated butchery.
added by SnootyBaronet | editVanity Fair, Norman Mailer

Ellis, Bret Eastonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Culicchia, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lenders, BaltTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
L'auteur de ce journal et le journal lui-même appartiennent évidemment au domaine de la fiction. Et pourtant, si l'on considère les circonstances sous l'action desquelles s'est formée notre société, il apparaît qu'il peut, qu'il doit exister parmi nous des êtres semblables à l'auteur de ce journal. J'ai voulu montrer au public, en en soulignant quelque peu les traits, un des personnages de l'époque qui vient de s'écouler, un des représentants de la génération qui s'éteint actuellement. Dans ce premier fragment, intitulé Le Sous-Sol, le personnage se présente au lecteur, il expose ses idées et semble vouloir expliquer les causes qui l'ont fait naître dans notre société. Dans le second fragment, il relate certains évènements de son existence.

Fedor Dostoïevski
Le Sous-Sol
Une des grandes erreurs que l'on peut commetre est de croire que les bonnes manières ne sont que l'expression d'une pensée heureuse. Les bonnes manières peuvent être l'expression d'un large éventail d'attitudes. Voici le but essentiel de la civilisation : exprimer de façon élégante et non pas agressive. Une de ces errances est le mouvement naturiste, rousseauiste des années soixante où l'on disait : "Pourquoi ne pas dire tout simplement ce que l'on pense ?" La civilisation ne peut exister sans quelques contraintes. Si nous suivions toutes nos impulsions, nous nous entretuerions.

Miss Manners (Judith Martin)
And a thing fell apart
Nobody paid much attention

Talking Heads
for Bruce Taylor
ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE, is scrawled in blood red lettering on the side of the Chemical Bank near the corner of Eleventh and First and is in print large enough to be seen from the backseat of the cab as it lurches forward in the traffic leaving Wall Street and just as Timothy Price notices the words a bus pulls up, the advertisement for Les Misérables on its side blocking the view, but Price who is with Pierce & Pierce and twenty-six doesn't seem to care because he tells the driver he will give him five dollars to turn up the radio, "Be My Baby" on WYNN, and the driver, black, not American, does so.
And if another round of Bellinis comes within a twenty-foot radius of this table we are going to set the maitre d' on fire. So you know, warn him. - Timothy Price
"Beat the shit out of him," the girl suggests, pointing at me. "Oh honey," I say, shaking my head, "the things I could do to you with a coat hanger."
"Blitzen was a reindeer"
"The only Jewish one," Peterson reminds us.
...McDermott, in a state of total frustration, asked the girls if they knew the names of any of the nine planets. Libby and Caron guessed the moon. Daisy wasn't sure but she actually guessed...Comet. Daisy thought that Comet was a planet. Dumbfounded, McDermott, Taylor and I all assured her that it was.
"Lobster to start with? And for an entrée?"
"What do you want me to order? The Pringle Potato Chip appetizer?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,157,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible