No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

No Country for Old Men (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Cormac McCarthy (Author)

10,209277593 (4.03)314
Llewelyn Moss is hunting antelope near the Texas/Mexico border when he stumbles upon several dead men, a big stash of heroin, and more than two million dollars in cash. He takes off with the money--and the hunter becomes the hunted. A drug cartel hires a former Special Forces agent to track down the loot, and a ruthless killer joins the chase as well. Also looking for Moss is the aging Sheriff Bell, a World War II veteran who may be Moss' only hope for survival.… (more)
Member:scottkpowers
Title:No Country for Old Men
Authors:Cormac McCarthy (Author)
Info:Vintage (2006), 309 pages
Collections:Recent Reads
Rating:*****

Work Information

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (2005)

A Simple Plan by Scott Smith (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are books in which found money leads to unexpected, horrific consequences.
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (dmitriyk)
    dmitriyk: Written simply, with a very similar style and attitude.
    Sunset and Sawdust by Joe R. Lansdale (cometahalley)
    The Nightrunners by Joe R. Lansdale (cometahalley)
    A Single Shot by Matthew F. Jones (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: We all think money will solve our problems. Sometimes money creates problems . . . especialy when it's other peoples' money.
    The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (derelicious)
    Descent by Tim Johnston (sturlington)
    sturlington: The authors have similar styles, and both thrillers explore questions of fate and chance.
    Cities of the Plain by Cormac McCarthy (cometahalley)

English (253)  Italian (9)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (273)
I found this book gritty, raw, violent, bleak, and pessimistic. It’s about stealing drug money and running from the consequences, about a sheriff trying to do his best to protect people in an increasingly violent world, and about a psychopathic killer who appears to be the embodiment of evil. It’s also about the choices we make and the consequences that inevitably follow.

It’s not really my type book since I try to avoid books that feature psychopaths. After a page-turning beginning, it grinds to a screeching halt about three-fourths of the way in, leaving the reader to ponder what may have happened. It is thought-provoking in a grim way. This is my third of McCarthy’s works and I much preferred All the Pretty Horses and The Road. ( )
  Castlelass | Oct 30, 2022 |
Outstanding. There are some differences between the book and the movie that make the book even more enjoyable. The faster pace kept me riveted over the three days that it took me to read the book which, in hindsight, is a bit of a surprise to me because I started the first several pages but nothing caught fire. Perhaps I just need to finish one book before I could get my head wrapped around this.

I liked Sheriff Bell's introductions to each chapter and this story within a story that sort of narrated the plot from an external point of view. He ends up being a more interesting character than he was in the movie and you get a better sense that all along, he is just behind the scenes, really just playing catch-up.

One couldn't help but root for Moss after he left the Mexican hospital, trying to get back to his wife and helping the hitchhiker along the way. His death, however, is shocking to the reader because you start to get a sense that things are going to somehow turn around. It really drives home the point that life is random. This is one of those McCarthy kicks in the teeth that you don't sense is coming until it happens.

Somehow I always end up with this sense of longing and regret for the past when I finish a McCarthy book. I feel miserable but love it all the same. ( )
  DarrinLett | Aug 14, 2022 |
4.5 ( )
  Count_Myshkin | Aug 11, 2022 |
Sort of reminded me of a modern day Jim Thompson novel. I probably enjoyed it for one of the reasons others didn't in the fact that to me it read like it was being told to me, not caring about punctuation or run on sentences. I think it added to the story. I also loved the colloquialisms, such as "You can't salt salt." Classic! Imo, a really good read. ( )
  btbell_lt | Aug 1, 2022 |
All that keeps No Country for Old Men from being a deftly executed but meretricious thriller is the presence, increasingly confused and ineffectual as the novel proceeds, of the sheriff of Comanche County, one of the "old men" alluded to in the title.

"No Country for Old Men" is an unholy mess of a novel, which one could speculate will be a bitter disappointment to many of those eager fans. It is an unwieldy klutz that pretends to be beach reading while dressed in the garments of serious literature (not that those are necessarily mutually exclusive concepts). It is a thriller that is barely thrilling and a tepid effort to reclaim some of the focus and possibly the audience of McCarthy's most reader-friendly novel, "All the Pretty Horses." Worst of all, it reads like a story you wished Elmore Leonard had written -- or rather, in this case, rewritten.

Mr. McCarthy turns the elaborate cat-and-mouse game played by Moss and Chigurh and Bell into harrowing, propulsive drama, cutting from one frightening, violent set piece to another with cinematic economy and precision. In fact, ''No Country for Old Men'' would easily translate to the big screen so long as Bell's tedious, long-winded monologues were left on the cutting room floor -- a move that would also have made this a considerably more persuasive novel.

In the literary world the appearance of a new Cormac McCarthy novel is a cause for celebration. It has been seven years since his Cities of the Plain, and McCarthy has made the wait worthwhile. With a title that makes a statement about Texas itself, McCarthy offers up a vision of awful power and waning glory, like a tale told by a hermit emerging from the desert, a biblical Western from a cactus-pricked Ancient Mariner.

Cormac McCarthy's ''No Country for Old Men'' is as bracing a variation on these noir orthodoxies as any fan of the genre could expect, although his admirers may not be sure at first about quite how to take the book, which doesn't bend its genre or transcend it but determinedly straightens it back out.
added by eereed | editNew York Times, Walter Kirn (Jun 24, 2005)

Cormac McCarthyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barrett, SeanNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murillo Fort, LuisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pearson, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Testa, MartinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The author would like to express his appreciation to the Santa Fe Institute for his long association and his four-year residence. He would also like to thank Amanda Urban.
I sent one boy to the gaschamber at Huntsville.
If you had told me we'd end up in a world with kids with green hair and bones in their noses I would have laughed in your face. But here it is.

Set along the United States–Mexico border in 1980, the story concerns an illicit drug deal gone wrong in a remote desert location.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,145,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible