No Country for Old Men (Vintage…

No Country for Old Men (Vintage International) (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Cormac McCarthy

Member:jonstamp
Title:No Country for Old Men (Vintage International)
Authors:Cormac McCarthy
Info:Vintage (2007), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:fiction, crime, thriller, pyschotic, Southern America, American

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (2005)

2007 (26) 2008 (36) 21st century (43) American (88) American fiction (32) American literature (88) Cormac McCarthy (36) crime (164) drugs (88) ebook (28) fiction (838) literature (85) made into movie (32) McCarthy (25) Mexico (41) movie (31) murder (65) mystery (28) novel (161) own (24) read (97) read in 2008 (27) suspense (34) Texas (155) thriller (87) to-read (142) unread (34) USA (59) violence (57) western (140)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (dmitriyk)
    dmitriyk: Written simply, with a very similar style and attitude.
    A Single Shot by Matthew F. Jones (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: We all think money will solve our problems. Sometimes money creates problems . . . especialy when it's other peoples' money.
    The Nightrunners by Joe R. Lansdale (cometahalley)
    Sunset and Sawdust by Joe R. Lansdale (cometahalley)
    A Simple Plan by Scott Smith (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are books in which found money leads to unexpected, horrific consequences.
    Cities of the Plain by Cormac McCarthy (cometahalley)
    The Counselor by Cormac McCarthy (mondryle)
    mondryle: Another bleak tale of consequence in a contemporary setting, more like this earlier book than McCarthy's other work.
    The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (derelicious)

English (167)  Italian (6)  Dutch (3)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (181)
My second McCarthy novel, a novel that balances the turmoils that result from one man trying to take advantage of a drug deal gone wrong. Honestly, the storyline I was most compelled by was not the center of the story, and more time was spent on that of the local sherriff's, Ed Tom. I would not have minded if the whole novel was dedicated to the cat-and-mouse pursuit between Chigurh and Moss. ( )
  marthaearly | Jun 6, 2014 |
This is the second novel by McCarthy that I read. The first one was The Road, which I think is more praised than No Country for Old Men. But I struggled quite a bit reading the first one, and even if I enjoyed it, it didn't live to my expectations. Fortunately I didn't give up on McCarthy and picked up this one, which I enjoyed a lot more. This time I could connect with the story, McCarthy's writing style and the characters more easily. And everything made much more sense. I would definitely read some other McCarthy work in the future. ( )
  chaghi | Jun 1, 2014 |
I have seen the movie 4 times and the first question everyone asks is how close are they. Remarkably close. For the first half of the book I felt as though the screenwriter followed the book word for word. Granted, the movie scene where the dog chases Moss into the river is not in the book, but there is a lengthy chase of Moss by the two guys in the truck through the desert. In the second half of the book there is quite a bit more ruminating by Sheriff Bell, and as I read those pages I thought this was a big miss by the movie people. It really would have set up the highly criticized ending of the movie (the kitchen scene with Bell and wife Loretta) so much better, making the ending more palatable. I have one other major comment, and it is a spoiler for those who have neither read the book nor seen the movie....Even after seeing the movie X times, I never felt I understood the shooting of Moss, who did it, how did they know where he was, who got the money. The book does this very nicely, and I feel that 10 more minutes of video would made the movie so much better. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I have read a few things by McCarthy and I feel that this was by far the best. I believe that it will be enjoyable for those that have seen the movie, but best if there has been a time gap since your last viewing and perhaps your recollection is a bit fuzzy. A different book review I guess but if you want something more traditional you can find hundreds of the usual stuff on Amazon and Library Thing.
  maneekuhi | May 8, 2014 |
Cormac McCarthy's depiction of evil in this book leaves you afraid to go to sleep at night. If you saw the movie, read the book anyway. The movie left out a couple of small but revealing bits of the story. ( )
  vdunn | Apr 30, 2014 |
This is a book that I had an extremely hard time rating and evaluating. I should begin by saying that the story told here is absolutely riveting. In fact, the movie followed it very closely, so if you saw that, you have a fairly good idea of what I mean. Yet, it is far more powerful and compelling in novel form. So, why the difficulty? Well, Cormac McCarthy's writing style is extremely difficult to read, especially if you are not used to it. This was the first book I have read by him as an author, and while I did get far more used to the writing as I continued with the book, it was extremely frustrating at the start. I hope nobody misunderstands me. It's not so different as to be unreadable, by any means. He just uses little punctuation other than periods, including no quote marks and often no indication of who is talking other than via tracking it out yourself. In many ways, this forces you to slow down as you read and think about what you are reading, even as the writing itself pretends to be simple even while pulling you into a complex narrative. Once I adjusted to the style used for the writing, I was able to enjoy the book far more freely.

I should also note, the violence in the movie did not come from out of nowhere. In the book, it is also very straightforward and in your face, with no apologies made or punches pulled. To be fair, it is also not done just for the sake of violence or overly focused on or expanded upon. The violence is to drive the narrative or contribute to characterization. Yet, it must be mentioned that, just like the movie, this is not a story for the faint of heart. But, if a gritty narrative with powerful development is up your alley, this is definitely a worthy choice. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Apr 19, 2014 |
All that keeps No Country for Old Men from being a deftly executed but meretricious thriller is the presence, increasingly confused and ineffectual as the novel proceeds, of the sheriff of Comanche County, one of the "old men" alluded to in the title.

"No Country for Old Men" is an unholy mess of a novel, which one could speculate will be a bitter disappointment to many of those eager fans. It is an unwieldy klutz that pretends to be beach reading while dressed in the garments of serious literature (not that those are necessarily mutually exclusive concepts). It is a thriller that is barely thrilling and a tepid effort to reclaim some of the focus and possibly the audience of McCarthy's most reader-friendly novel, "All the Pretty Horses." Worst of all, it reads like a story you wished Elmore Leonard had written -- or rather, in this case, rewritten.

Mr. McCarthy turns the elaborate cat-and-mouse game played by Moss and Chigurh and Bell into harrowing, propulsive drama, cutting from one frightening, violent set piece to another with cinematic economy and precision. In fact, ''No Country for Old Men'' would easily translate to the big screen so long as Bell's tedious, long-winded monologues were left on the cutting room floor -- a move that would also have made this a considerably more persuasive novel.

In the literary world the appearance of a new Cormac McCarthy novel is a cause for celebration. It has been seven years since his Cities of the Plain, and McCarthy has made the wait worthwhile. With a title that makes a statement about Texas itself, McCarthy offers up a vision of awful power and waning glory, like a tale told by a hermit emerging from the desert, a biblical Western from a cactus-pricked Ancient Mariner.

Cormac McCarthy's ''No Country for Old Men'' is as bracing a variation on these noir orthodoxies as any fan of the genre could expect, although his admirers may not be sure at first about quite how to take the book, which doesn't bend its genre or transcend it but determinedly straightens it back out.
added by eereed | editNew York Times, Walter Kirn (Jun 24, 2005)

Cormac McCarthyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Testa, MartinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The author would like to express his appreciation to the Santa Fe Institute for his long association and his four-year residence. He would also like to thank Amanda Urban.
I sent one boy to the gaschamber at Huntsville.
If you had told me we'd end up in a world with kids with green hair and bones in their noses I would have laughed in your face. But here it is.
Set along the United States–Mexico border in 1980, the story concerns an illicit drug deal gone wrong in a remote desert location.

In No Country for Old Men, Cormac McCarthy simultaneously strips down the American crime novel and broadens its concerns to encompass themes as ancient as the Bible and as bloodily contemporary as this morning’s headlines.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:38 -0400)

Stumbling upon a bloody massacre, a cache of heroin, and more than two million in cash during a hunting trip, Llewelyn Moss removes the money, a decision that draws him and his young wife into the middle of a violent confrontation.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,208,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible