No Country for Old Men (Vintage…

No Country for Old Men (Vintage International) (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Cormac McCarthy

7,540219457 (4.01)254
Member:jonstamp
Title:No Country for Old Men (Vintage International)
Authors:Cormac McCarthy
Info:Vintage (2007), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:fiction, crime, thriller, pyschotic, Southern America, American

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (2005)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (dmitriyk)
    dmitriyk: Written simply, with a very similar style and attitude.
    A Single Shot by Matthew F. Jones (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: We all think money will solve our problems. Sometimes money creates problems . . . especialy when it's other peoples' money.
    The Nightrunners by Joe R. Lansdale (cometahalley)
    Sunset and Sawdust by Joe R. Lansdale (cometahalley)
    A Simple Plan by Scott Smith (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are books in which found money leads to unexpected, horrific consequences.
    Cities of the plain by Cormac McCarthy (cometahalley)
    The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (derelicious)

English (203)  Italian (7)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (219)
Wow! Even the movie was good!!! ( )
  PaulRx04 | Apr 15, 2016 |
Don't watch the movie, you cannot possibly understand this book from a movie. McCarthy does an amazing job of showing a killer's true lack of human empathy, as well as the despair of a sheriff who understands that somehow along the way, society has changed for the worse. Sound like something you can't stomach? The men and women in all aspects of law enforcement have to face this everyday. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
such an economy of style! ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
2005 ( )
  ChrisPisarczyk | Mar 17, 2016 |
What a stunning read. I finished it today and I have to say that I've not had this feeling about a book for a long, long time. I wanted to start it all over again; it's only my teetering pile of 'must-reads' that is preventing me from doing so.

Everything about this novel is near perfect, from the pitch of the character's voices to the way that the landscape plays a role (the landscape here was very reminiscent of the way that it functioned in the Norwegian movie 'Insomnia') and to the unsentimental treatment by the author of his characters - in this story the right people live and the right people die.

I don't care, individually, for any of the elements that McCarthy uses, and before I had heard a review of his writing on the brilliant Guardian Books Podcast I would probably never have read his work. Texas, the southern dialect, the desert/border-land setting, drugs, guns and police procedure do not usually crop up in my reading, by choice, yet McCarthy weaves a philosophical and compelling human tale with all of these disparate constituents.

It's a cliché of course but I can't recommend this novel highly enough. And I use the cliché for the very reason that normally I would have missed this book, were it not for hearing a left-field review and recommendation of the author as someone worth bothering with - they were right. If you think you'll hate it you'll be thinking the same way that I did before reading it - I hope you come out the other side loving it as much as I do. ( )
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
All that keeps No Country for Old Men from being a deftly executed but meretricious thriller is the presence, increasingly confused and ineffectual as the novel proceeds, of the sheriff of Comanche County, one of the "old men" alluded to in the title.

"No Country for Old Men" is an unholy mess of a novel, which one could speculate will be a bitter disappointment to many of those eager fans. It is an unwieldy klutz that pretends to be beach reading while dressed in the garments of serious literature (not that those are necessarily mutually exclusive concepts). It is a thriller that is barely thrilling and a tepid effort to reclaim some of the focus and possibly the audience of McCarthy's most reader-friendly novel, "All the Pretty Horses." Worst of all, it reads like a story you wished Elmore Leonard had written -- or rather, in this case, rewritten.

Mr. McCarthy turns the elaborate cat-and-mouse game played by Moss and Chigurh and Bell into harrowing, propulsive drama, cutting from one frightening, violent set piece to another with cinematic economy and precision. In fact, ''No Country for Old Men'' would easily translate to the big screen so long as Bell's tedious, long-winded monologues were left on the cutting room floor -- a move that would also have made this a considerably more persuasive novel.

In the literary world the appearance of a new Cormac McCarthy novel is a cause for celebration. It has been seven years since his Cities of the Plain, and McCarthy has made the wait worthwhile. With a title that makes a statement about Texas itself, McCarthy offers up a vision of awful power and waning glory, like a tale told by a hermit emerging from the desert, a biblical Western from a cactus-pricked Ancient Mariner.

Cormac McCarthy's ''No Country for Old Men'' is as bracing a variation on these noir orthodoxies as any fan of the genre could expect, although his admirers may not be sure at first about quite how to take the book, which doesn't bend its genre or transcend it but determinedly straightens it back out.
added by eereed | editNew York Times, Walter Kirn (Jun 24, 2005)

Cormac McCarthyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Testa, MartinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The author would like to express his appreciation to the Santa Fe Institute for his long association and his four-year residence. He would also like to thank Amanda Urban.
I sent one boy to the gaschamber at Huntsville.
If you had told me we'd end up in a world with kids with green hair and bones in their noses I would have laughed in your face. But here it is.
Set along the United States–Mexico border in 1980, the story concerns an illicit drug deal gone wrong in a remote desert location.

In No Country for Old Men, Cormac McCarthy simultaneously strips down the American crime novel and broadens its concerns to encompass themes as ancient as the Bible and as bloodily contemporary as this morning’s headlines.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

Stumbling upon a bloody massacre, a cache of heroin, and more than two million in cash during a hunting trip, Llewelyn Moss removes the money, a decision that draws him and his young wife into the middle of a violent confrontation.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,926,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible