No Country for Old Men (Vintage…

No Country for Old Men (Vintage International) (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Cormac McCarthy

7,234197492 (4.02)239
Member:jonstamp
Title:No Country for Old Men (Vintage International)
Authors:Cormac McCarthy
Info:Vintage (2007), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:fiction, crime, thriller, pyschotic, Southern America, American

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (2005)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (dmitriyk)
    dmitriyk: Written simply, with a very similar style and attitude.
    A Single Shot by Matthew F. Jones (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: We all think money will solve our problems. Sometimes money creates problems . . . especialy when it's other peoples' money.
    Rivers by Michael Farris Smith (sturlington)
    sturlington: Michael Farris Smith's writing reminded me strongly of Cormac McCarthy. Both The Road and No Country for Old Men are similar in tone, style and theme to Rivers.
    The 25th Hour by David Benioff (sturlington)
    Sunset and Sawdust by Joe R. Lansdale (cometahalley)
    Cities of the Plain by Cormac McCarthy (cometahalley)
    The Nightrunners by Joe R. Lansdale (cometahalley)
    A Simple Plan by Scott Smith (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are books in which found money leads to unexpected, horrific consequences.
    The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (derelicious)

English (182)  Italian (7)  Dutch (3)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (197)
Sehr stimmungsvoll, aber der Film war sogar besser. Es gibt eine Aussage, aber welche?
Eine böse Welt. Ich bin froh, dass ich dort nicht leben muss. ( )
  volumed42 | May 12, 2015 |
This book had me with the first chapter. The dialog was a little hard to follow because the author didn't use quotation marks but I really appreciated the insights I gained into Moss, Bell, and Chigurh. The interesting think was that the sheriff's parts were narrated in the first person but I felt more of a connection with Anton and Llewelyn.

Since I had seen the movie previously, I couldn't help but picture the actors when I was reading this (which I why I prefer to read the book first). Also, the movie had followed the closely so there were very few surprises or revelations.

All in all, this was a very good book that I would recommend to anyone who likes edgy thrillers. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
I love Cormac McCarthy's style of writing. He uses intricate dialogue to describe versus paragraphs of descriptive prose. If he does have to describe a location or a person or an event, he is very stingy in the number of words he uses for the description. He is a master at using dialogue to describe characters and to get a feel for the details.

The book followed the movie closely, however, there were several scenes in the book that never made it into the movie. I am sure they probably ended up on the edit room floor. I will not mention which scenes for those who have seen the movie and plan on reading the book.

As an author myself, I plan on utilizing some of McCarthy's techniques. Two thumbs up. ( )
  branjohb | Mar 1, 2015 |
The outlook for America as envisaged by Mcarthy in No Country for Old Men is not a happy one. The “Old Men” frequently reminisce fondly about the old times when Sheriffs did not in fact carry guns. Unheard of now when it seems everyone carries one.

What normally happens in this genre is that the crusty old fashioned detective or sheriff in this case, will slowly and surely uses his years of experience and street smarts to outwit and eventually capture the nefarious psychopath who is terrorising the neighbourhood.

NCFOM breaks all the rules. I kept waiting for the clues to mount up, pin pointing the culprit, and the net closing inexorably in. Instead the predominant feeling is ennui; guns rule, violence wins, there is no hope, and I give up.

I saw the movie after I read the book. The film is loosely based on the book with major plot lines missing and characters altered. Different genres, different outcomes. ( )
  Robert3167 | Feb 25, 2015 |
Listened to this grisly tale. Didn't care for it too much since hearing about depraved killers who leave behind huge body counts and the men who fight them reflect upon hardness of life is not my cup of tea. It's well written, graphic, and the characters are realistic. But it's still depressing. ( )
  debs4jc | Feb 10, 2015 |
All that keeps No Country for Old Men from being a deftly executed but meretricious thriller is the presence, increasingly confused and ineffectual as the novel proceeds, of the sheriff of Comanche County, one of the "old men" alluded to in the title.

"No Country for Old Men" is an unholy mess of a novel, which one could speculate will be a bitter disappointment to many of those eager fans. It is an unwieldy klutz that pretends to be beach reading while dressed in the garments of serious literature (not that those are necessarily mutually exclusive concepts). It is a thriller that is barely thrilling and a tepid effort to reclaim some of the focus and possibly the audience of McCarthy's most reader-friendly novel, "All the Pretty Horses." Worst of all, it reads like a story you wished Elmore Leonard had written -- or rather, in this case, rewritten.

Mr. McCarthy turns the elaborate cat-and-mouse game played by Moss and Chigurh and Bell into harrowing, propulsive drama, cutting from one frightening, violent set piece to another with cinematic economy and precision. In fact, ''No Country for Old Men'' would easily translate to the big screen so long as Bell's tedious, long-winded monologues were left on the cutting room floor -- a move that would also have made this a considerably more persuasive novel.

In the literary world the appearance of a new Cormac McCarthy novel is a cause for celebration. It has been seven years since his Cities of the Plain, and McCarthy has made the wait worthwhile. With a title that makes a statement about Texas itself, McCarthy offers up a vision of awful power and waning glory, like a tale told by a hermit emerging from the desert, a biblical Western from a cactus-pricked Ancient Mariner.

Cormac McCarthy's ''No Country for Old Men'' is as bracing a variation on these noir orthodoxies as any fan of the genre could expect, although his admirers may not be sure at first about quite how to take the book, which doesn't bend its genre or transcend it but determinedly straightens it back out.
added by eereed | editNew York Times, Walter Kirn (Jun 24, 2005)

Cormac McCarthyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Testa, MartinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The author would like to express his appreciation to the Santa Fe Institute for his long association and his four-year residence. He would also like to thank Amanda Urban.
I sent one boy to the gaschamber at Huntsville.
If you had told me we'd end up in a world with kids with green hair and bones in their noses I would have laughed in your face. But here it is.
Set along the United States–Mexico border in 1980, the story concerns an illicit drug deal gone wrong in a remote desert location.

In No Country for Old Men, Cormac McCarthy simultaneously strips down the American crime novel and broadens its concerns to encompass themes as ancient as the Bible and as bloodily contemporary as this morning’s headlines.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:38 -0400)

Stumbling upon a bloody massacre, a cache of heroin, and more than two million in cash during a hunting trip, Llewelyn Moss removes the money, a decision that draws him and his young wife into the middle of a violent confrontation.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,286,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible