Urban Shaman by Serge Kahili King

Urban Shaman (edition 1990)

by Serge Kahili King (Author)

The first practical guide to applying the ancient healing art of Hawaiian shamanism to our modern lives. Uniquely suited for use in today's world, Hawaiian shamanism follows the way of the adventurer, which produces change through love and cooperation--in contrast to the widely known way of the warrior, which emphasizes solitary quests and conquest by power. Now, even if you can't get out into the wilderness or undertake a long apprenticeship with a shaman, you can learn to practice the art of shamanism. You'll learn how to: --Interpret and change your dreams --Heal yourself, your relationships, and the environment --Cast the shaman stones to foretell the future --Design and perform powerful rituals --Shapechange --Make vision quests to other realities And more.… (more)
Member:HealingHouseOahu
Title:Urban Shaman
Authors:Serge Kahili King (Author)
Info:Touchstone (1990), Edition: 2nd ed., 256 pages

Urban Shaman by Serge Kahili King

Read this one quite a while ago, so this is going to be a "review light". I really liked this book when I first read it, and have read it at least once since. It may have been a side effect of what I was reading at the time, but it reminded me quite a bit of NLP, rather than any occult or magical tradition I am familiar with. So that makes me question the legitimacy of the "Ancient Hawaiian Tradition" aspects.But I'm an eclectic mage/witch/shaman/heathen/whatever you want to call me, so what really matters is the effectiveness of the techniques. And like NLP, the techniques are remarkably effective. Also like NLP, the results are fleeting unless you can maintain the mindfullness needed to keep aware of the techniques, and keep practicing them in daily life. That's not something I've ever been very good at.I'd be curious what others think of the link between Huna and NLP. I think I read [book: Using Your Brain for a Change] and I feel there's a connection. Also, I'm currently reading [book: The Book of Results], one of the seminal books on Chaos Magic, and I feel there's also quite a bit of overlap/sourcing there. ( )
  PeterKahle | Sep 17, 2010 |
Gets a bit flaky at times, especially on the subject of pyramids. Good on basic trancework and healing. ( )
  lizw | Jan 1, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,497,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible