Cemetery Dance by Douglas Preston

Cemetery Dance (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Douglas Preston (Author)

Series: Pendergast (9)

After New York Times reporter William Smithback and his wife Nora Kelly, a Museum of Natural History archaeologist, are brutally attacked in their apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Pendergast--the world's most enigmatic FBI Special Agent--returns to New York City to investigate a murderous Obeah cult.… (more)
Member:ballphoenix
Title:Cemetery Dance
Authors:Douglas Preston (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2009), Edition: First Edition, 448 pages
Rating:*****

Cemetery Dance by Douglas Preston (2009)

English (65)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (73)
This is my very first Preston/Childs novel, besides Preston's The Monster Of Venice, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I had been told these novels could stand alone, and it did.

Very fast paced, from the first page, it kept my attention to the last one. Was it zombiis? Was it not? Who knew! But with as smart a writing as this book has, I knew it wasn't just another band-wagon genre-based vampires, no... werewolves, no.. novel about the latest Fad in Writing. THANK GOD!!! (I am SO tired of them all, I could just load a literary shotgun with garlic-covered silver, and have at them all.) =P

I loved this novel. I know I say this a lot, but.. this author partnership is definitely a winner. I will have to find ALL their collaborations, and read them post-haste. These characters are not your usual one-note types, and I really love the interplay between the FBI dude, and the seasoned cop. Usually, when two authors have written a series together, I can tell when one author has written, and then when it has changes to the other one. This time, not only could I not tell, but I was too busy trying to figure out what happens next! And for a seasoned reader, who's had a book in front of her since she could sound out words, that's pretty darn good, I think. The transitions really are that seamless.

So if you love a really well-written novel, something that isn't following the latest trend in paranormal who-ha, then this book is the one for you. And for a novel I found at the grocery store, in the $5.00 bin, it's a real keeper!!

**Update, June 13, 2015. In order to keep up with the backstory of these novels, I reread and listened to the audiobook of this novel over the two days before. Listening to Rene Auberonois is truly a real treat. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
A wild ride for Pendergast and the rest of the crew in Preston and Child's book. I think this is one of their best books, a vast improvement over some of the plot lines and action in their earlier books. ( )
  highlander6022 | Jun 7, 2019 |
Another great read in the Pendergast series. While some of these books aren't always a 5-star read, they're still incredibly enjoyable and I always find myself looking to grab the next one of the series at Barnes & Noble when it gets released each year. Hats off to Pendergast and all of his investigations. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 2, 2018 |
This was my first Preston & Child book and I am very glad it was recommended to me. This is by no means Great Literature but most definitely an enjoyable book. I am looking forward to going back and reading the earlier books featuring Pendergast, and also plan to check out the non-series books by these authors. Entertaining, engaging light reading. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
Cemetery Dance by Preston and Child was a terrific read. This is my second Prendergast book and is once again filled with interesting characters and a plot that stands as something you would expect out of a paranormal or horror rather than a crime thriller. These quirks make Preston and Child's books offbeat and enjoyable. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
I am starting to get to the 'enough is enough' point with the Pendergast novels. This is book nine in the series and it was too over-the-top.

Generally, I am pretty open to just about anything, including the un-dead (aka. Zombies) but this book just had too much of everything. The story was about 100 pages too long, had WAY too much detail in areas that didn't require it, areas that weren't important to the overall outcome of the story and it didn't have enough details in the areas that, I felt, deserved it. Also, I felt like the story was too jumpy... just when I was getting into a particular character/part of the story, it would flip to a different part and I would have to get into THAT part again. Ugg... sometimes that can be annoying!

However, for all the negative, there were some good parts... I really did enjoy the climax scenes in the book. The fight/the rescue, all great!! It became a page turner as the book neared the end and as a result, I will be adding book 10 to my 'to-be-read' list.

Overall, if you have read the books in this series, you will probably want to pick this one up as well but if you haven't, your life will go on without adding this one to your bookshelf!

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Autio, AnttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica

Douglas Preston dedicates this book to Karen Copeland
Can you believe it, Bill?

Pendergast-the world's most enigmatic FBI Special Agent-returns to New York City to investigate a murderous cult.

William Smithback, a New York Times reporter, and his wife Nora Kelly, a Museum of Natural History archaeologist, are brutally attacked in their apartment on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Eyewitnesses claim, and the security camera confirms, that the assailant was their strange, sinister neighbor-a man who, by all reports, was already dead and buried weeks earlier. While Captain Laura Hayward leads the official investigation, Pendergast and Lieutenant Vincent D'Agosta undertake their own private-and decidedly unorthodox-quest for the truth. Their serpentine journey takes them to an enclave of Manhattan they never imagined could exist: a secretive, reclusive cult of Obeah and vodou which no outsiders have ever survived.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,499,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible