Grave Sight (Harper Connelly Mysteries, Book…

Grave Sight (Harper Connelly Mysteries, Book 1) (edition 2006)

by Charlaine Harris (Author)

3,2841262,576 (3.66)1 / 108
"A teenage girl missing from a small Ozarks town may have been murdered. Hired by local police, Harper locates the girl's body in a nearby forest. But there's more than one corpse in those woods, and teh second one leads the police to unfortunate conclusions. Soon Harper and her assistant, her stepbrother Tolliver, are under suspicion. All they want is to get paid and get out of town, but they will have to clear their names first."--Container.… (more)
Member:DeboraNunes
Title:Grave Sight (Harper Connelly Mysteries, Book 1)
Authors:Charlaine Harris (Author)
Info:Berkley (2006), Edition: Reprint, 310 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, 2012

Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris

Greywalker by Kat Richardson (leahsimone)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (LondonLori)
    LondonLori: Similar concept - women with paranormal powers solving crimes
    The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint (leahsimone)

English (125)  Italian (1)  All languages (126)
I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick read. The perfect summertime book. I did figure out whodunnit long before the protagonists did it didn’t detract too much from the story.

The descriptions of how Harper finds the dead was fascinating S was the description of the lightning strike and its lingering physical problems that gave her this gift/curse.

If I didn’t already have so many books to read I’d be looking for the rest of the series. ( )
  jezebellydancer | Sep 2, 2019 |
Interesting premise of a girl struck by lighting who can now locate the dead and feel their last minutes. She does not see the murderer when there is one but how can the killer be sure? Harper and her brother travel the country locating bodies of missing persons where their is some chance of finding them. They are disliked and treated badly for performing this service because they charge for it. Will continue this series next time I visit my bookshelves. ( )
  florabundi | Aug 2, 2019 |
After getting struck by lightening, Harper Connelly developed the ability to sense the locations of dead bodies and to experience what they felt when they died. With the help of her step-brother, she works as a consultant locating missing bodies for a living. After finding the body of a missing teenager and determining that the girl was murdered, Harper gets drawn into the case and starts to investigate who was responsible for the death of the girl and her boyfriend. I thought this book was OK, I liked the premise and how Harper's gift worked. However the story began to drag a bit in the middle. I also figured out the mystery much too early for my tastes. I thought the answer was pretty obvious early on, but it took the characters in the story much longer to put two and two together. Overall, it was a good read. If the second book in the series showed up on my bookcase, I would read it, but I probably won't go seek it out. ( )
  Cora-R | Jul 31, 2019 |
Magical, wonderful and just the most interesting character. I love how much darker this is then the True Blood books. This is dark and grim, then True Blood is romantic and whimsy. Good mystery and good light fantasy - always a good combo in my book. I think it is an interesting idea to a few paranormal ability working, but otherwise stick to strait old vanilla version of our world. ( )
  macthekat82 | May 24, 2018 |
Grave Sight
4 Stars

Harper Connelly has the unique ability to sense not only the whereabout of human remains, but also the cause of death. Together with her stepbrother/business manager, Tolliver Lang, Harper travels to Sarne Alabama at the request of a grieving mother desperate to locate the body of the young woman her deceased son is accused of killing in a murder/suicide. However, this seemingly simple case takes a dangerous turn when Harper becomes the target of someone determined to keep the truth buried...

Charlaine Harris’s cozy mysteries are rapidly becoming addictive. Harris is a master at characterization and is exceptionally skilled at capturing the essence of small town life (although not everyone is Sarne is as open and accepting of Harper’s differences).

Harper's dry, matter of fact personality and intriguing abilities make her a very appealing heroine. She and Tolliver have an interesting dynamic as they share a closeness not usually found in non-biological siblings, and there is a certain amount of subtle sexual tension between the two that they are apparently not yet ready to confront.

The who-done-it is well written with a number of plausible suspects and sufficient clues to figure out the twist before the end. The incorporation of paranormal elements feels natural and adds another layer to the suspense.

Alyssa Bresnahan's narration is well-executed and she relays the dry wit and stoicism inherent to Harper's character very well. Looking forward to Harper and Tolliver's further adventures. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Harper Connelly es una chica honesta, leal y, a los ojos de mucha gente, un poco rara. Desde que fue alcanzada por un rayo, posee un extraño don: puede encontrar a personas muertas y revelar cómo murieron, actividad mediante la que se gana la vida. En su primera aventura, Harper llega a una pequeña población de Arkansas con su hermanastro, que le hace de manager y de guardaespaldas, para localizar el paradero de unos niños que han desaparecido, pero allí descubrirá una compleja red de mentiras y asesinatos que pretende esconder un secreto para siempre.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hollenbach,DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sheriff didn't want me there.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,171,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible