The Dharma Bums (Penguin Classics Deluxe…

The Dharma Bums (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) (original 1958; edition 2006)

by Jack Kerouac (Author)

Two ebullient young men are engaged in a passionate search for dharma, or truth. Their major adventure is the pursuit of the Zen way, which takes them climbing into the high Sierras to seek the lesson of solitude, a lesson that has a hard time surviving their forays into the pagan groves of San Francisco's Bohemia with its marathon wine-drinking bouts, poetry jam sessions, experiments in "yabyum," and similar nonascetic pastimes.… (more)
Member:sayyid
Title:The Dharma Bums (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
Authors:Jack Kerouac (Author)
Info:Penguin Classics (2006), Edition: Deluxe, 187 pages

Work Information

The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac (1958)

English (64)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (68)
One of Kerouac’s best. ( )
  John_Hughel | Jun 18, 2022 |
My favorite book of all time. ( )
  TheBigV | May 9, 2021 |
Oh, what a book. I can think of a few friends in particular for whom I believe this book must have been life-changing. Or life-affirming. As for myself, I can’t decide if I love Jack Kerouac’s The Dharma Bums and want to reread it right now or if his idealistic, pleasant-sounding story comes off as a bunch of unrealistic fluff that doesn’t amount to much in the world I feel that we all live in (then and now). I’m fascinated by all the Buddhist talk; I love the thought of living on the edge of society in a wildly simple manner. I’m a bit on the experienced side when it comes to independent travel. Somehow, though, I found this book over-the-top, overdone, and almost a bit smug. Kerouac’s tone feels real and easy to relate to; he misleads the reader with his one-dimensional thoughts, though. When he describes his argument with his friend over whether to go to the Buddhist lecture or just to go out and get drunk, he throws is a few personal thoughts, a bit of some internal conflict within him in relation to his friend. Still, though, I feel like there must have been more to the situation – life can’t be as simple as he writes it to be. When the girl jumps to her death, Kerouac spares not a whole lot of space to her fate, its causes, and his role in the whole ordeal. He leads the reader on with his carelessness, his carefree thoughts. He glosses over death itself. He tries to make his lifestyle look easy by only writing the surface thoughts, even just the surface memories. His travel portions, in particular, fall to describe in detail some of the worst spots – standing for hours, waiting on a car to pass in the middle of the Deep South. Perhaps, in the end, Kerouac just has the optimism and the positivity that I can’t grasp no matter how hard I’ve been trying as I’ve been traveling around the world for months. He remembers just the grand, the great, the swell parts of the trip – the great people he met (not how bad they smell), the great food he cooked (not how unsure he was if it actually finished properly before sharing it with his new friend), the cool bag he got (not how heavy it was), and the ample alone time he had on the top of the mountain (now how lonely it got sometimes, not how unsure he was about whether or not he’d do the job one-hundred-percent correctly). I fail to enjoy a fiction book without a few good, strong insecurities thrown in there, especially a book about something I can relate to so easily – travel, spending time alone, and – well, really – just living life. ( )
  revatait | Feb 21, 2021 |
It should touch a special part of your heart and mind. It is an easy read except or the Buddhist references to multi-syllabic gods. It also carries a sad foreboding for what the lifestyle means for this man whose autobiography, undoubtedly, parallels his characters'. Read many others by Kerouac. The writing style flows. Don't get hung up on punctuation or run-ons. Read it as though listening to someone tell his story. It works wonderfully. ( )
  LeeFSnyder | Feb 1, 2021 |
generally speaking, at this point in my life, this really isn't my thing. i appreciated it more than i expected to, and i definitely liked it more than on the road; maybe i'm starting to swing back toward this kind of thinking (the theory used to appeal to me, but i never would have lived like this). hitchhiking across the country and hopping trains really does seem to be time/era specific, but there are still ways of living off the land and removing yourself from civilization. it probably isn't quite as easy as it used to be, so doing this today might look a bit different. anyway, i'm more open to hearing about it than i probably would have been even 5 years ago (but not as open as i would have been in college, when i think i would have been most likely to enjoy his books).

still, this wasn't anything special to me and i won't remember it (or the characters at all) for long. i did like this more than i thought i would, even while not paying close attention to a lot of it as i listened to it.

i did really like the section when they first went hiking early on in the book. that was lovely.

ethan hawke is a great reader for this book, although he doesn't differentiate much between the voices of ray smith and japhy ryder. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Oct 27, 2020 |
I Dharma Bums jagter hovedpersonen og Kerouacs alter ego, Ray Smith, friheden i sandheden. Helten i ”Dharma Bums” er rykket naturen og Østens filosofi nærmere i søgen efter et liv, der hæver sig over den almindelig amerikansk konformisme og småborgerlighed. Det er denne turen på afveje, der har gjort Jack Kerouac til helgen og hans bøger til bibler for ensomme ulve i alle aldre ... Med sin messende, prisning af det enkle liv – visdommen i en bjergskrænt, en skål varm suppe, det lægende i den kølige morgenbrise og så videre – er Dharma Bums en hyldest til et liv hævet over materielt begær. Ray Smiths fortællertone er lige så slentrende, tilbagelænet og lige ud ad landevejen som det trip, han er ude på. Værsgo! – beretningen om en drifters vej til sandheden, nøgternt registrerende og uden domme, præcis som buddhismen foreskriver. Det er fedt.
added by 2810michael | editBørsen, Christa Leve Poulsen

Arne Herløv Petersens oversættelse af Kerouacs prosa glider ubesværet fremad i lange glidende bevægelser.
added by 2810michael | editWeekendavisen, Nikolaj M. Lassen

Sproglig er romanen fantastisk og ikke til at sætte en finger på overhovedet, et sanseligt og detaljerigt sprog, der kun kan sammenlignes med de store forfattere, Dostojevskij, Hamsun og man kommer også til at tænke på H. C. Andersen i alle de her myldrende beskrivelser, hvor alt er levende og hvor naturen i høj grad besynges og besjæles.
added by 2810michael | editDR Kulturnyt, Michael Halskov Christensen

Man kan glæde sig over, at Roskilde Bogcafé nu omsider har gjort dette hovedværk tilgængeligt for alle, der ønsker et indblik i beatgenerationens flirt med østlig filosofi.
added by 2810michael | editInformation, Lars Movin

Det er en stor og vigtig begivenhed, når det brave lille forlag Roskilde Bogcafé - med 42 års forsinkelse - udsender en af beatforfatteren Jack Kerouacs smukkeste, lettest tilgængelige og mest profetiske romaner på dansk ... Arne Herløv Petersen står bag denne fine fordanskning af Kerouacs saftige naturlyrik, swingende sproglige flow, rundtossede zen-lommefilosofi og heftige metaforiske energi.
added by 2810michael | editBerlingske Tidende, Henrik List

Kerouac, Jackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Phillips, BaryeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandenbergh, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Han Shan
Hopping a freight out of Los Angeles at high noon one day in late September 1955 I got on a gondola and lay down with my duffel bag under my head and my knees crossed and contemplated the clouds as we rolled north to Santa Barbara.

Legacy Library: Jack Kerouac

Jack Kerouac has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Jack Kerouac's legacy profile.

See Jack Kerouac's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141184884, 0143039601

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,010,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible