The Prophet of Yonwood

by Jeanne DuPrau

Series: Books of Ember (3)

While visiting the small town of Yonwood, North Carolina, eleven-year-old Nickie makes some decisions about how to identify both good and evil when she witnesses the townspeople's reactions to the apocalyptic visions of one of their neighbors.

I read it. I didn't get it. I thought it would link up to "The City of Ember," but it didn't....at least not that I got out of it. The story was, well, odd. I hope the next one gets back to the original series! ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
The 3rd/4th book in the City of Ember series*. This is a prequel, set before the Disaster, so it won't satisfy your itch if you want more stories of Lina and Doon.

The book is the tale of Nickie, who is basically a good kid who wants to be helpful and do the Right Thing. Sadly, the people in charge of Yonwood are crazy fundamentalists who have become slightly unhinged through living in the shadow of the oncoming war. Nickie starts by doing as she's told, spying on her neighbours and reporting anything suspicious, but as she sees the consequences of her actions, and the demands of the religion become even more extreme (no dogs!) she is faced with the question of how can you actually know what is Right and what God wants?

It's still a book pitched at late primary school aged children, so the worldbuilding and the philosophy are a little simplistic at times, (I thought it was quite weak how the whole book twangs with 'the Disaster is about to happen, and then right at the end pulls its punches and says 'no, it didn't happen, not here and now in this slice of time when you've really warmed to these people, not for years until they've all had good and happy lives) but like the other Ember books it has a very warm heart and interesting characters.

* In publication order, this is the third book of four. But many of the published series think you should read the three books set at the same time with Doon and Lina as 1, 2 and 3, and then read this as a follow-on. ( )
  atreic | Jan 6, 2022 |
Excellent prequel. And the end was really surprising! I hope such thing never happens in the future... ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
Not anywhere near as good as the first two Ember books. ( )
  jugglebird | Feb 18, 2021 |
Set too far away chronologically from any event (even preceding events) in the other three books to be relevant. This is "set in the same universe" style fiction. If I was telling someone to read the Ember series I would skip this one. ( )
  sarcher | Jan 1, 2021 |

Jeanne DuPrauprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, Becky AnnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramel, JulienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riely, ChrisCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

The universe is not only stranger than we imagine,it is stranger than we imagine. ____J.B.S. Haldane
On a warm July afternoon in the town of Yonwood, North Carolina, a woman named Althea Tower went out to her backyard to fill the bird feeder.

Paperback

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,220,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible