Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge

Fly by Night (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Frances Hardinge (Author)

Series: Mosca Mye (1)

Mosca Mye and her homicidal goose, Saracen, travel to the city of Mandelion on the heels of smooth-talking con-man, Eponymous Clent.
Member:luciavitrix
Title:Fly by Night
Authors:Frances Hardinge (Author)
Info:MacMillan Children's Books (2006), 435 pages

Work Information

Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge (2005)

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Kerian)
    Black Hearts in Battersea by Joan Aiken (Sakerfalcon)
    Sakerfalcon: Similar period settings and society, with intelligent, unscrupulous heroines. Both books are exciting, subversive and extremely well-written.
    Mairelon the Magician by Patricia C. Wrede (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For heroines who are nobody's fool and who want more than the norm from their life.
    Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard by Jonathan Auxier (Bitter_Grace)
    The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker (kgodey)
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    Memoirs of a Bookbat by Kathryn Lasky (infiniteletters)
    The Whispering Road by Livi Michael (HatsForMice)
    Stravaganza: City of Masks by Mary Hoffman (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Alternate Universes! Plot! Intrigue! Rebellion! Boats!

English (46)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (49)
Granted, I did not expect quite so political a tale.

That's a fine way to start a review, I know. But rest assured - it is meant in the best way possible. My mind was all twisted in knots, trying to keep up with all tangles. This was an Experience of the Best Kind. Sad to say, those have grown scarce what with High Quality being very hard to come by and Reader's Reasonable Demands being somewhat out of reach for many a writer.

This is a wondrous adventure with some very twisty turns, bagful of mysteries ... and a lot of fun, honestly. Colourful vivid writing is a balm to my soul - some bits I couldn't help but savour. There's plenty of humour, a host of memorable characters and enough intrigue to set your mind spinning.

It's a Darn Good Yarn.
I cannot recommend it enough.

VERDICT : READ IT
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
Children's fiction. This book starts out ok, with a girl named Mosca carrying a belligerent goose under her arm. The problem is that it takes a while to get into it (so I wasn't able to read a snatch of it here or a snippet there when I had a spare moment). The other problem is that it was rather long and involved. I kept waiting for Mosca to hit upon something important and save the day, and that would be the end of the story, but no, the plot weaves on and on, and I'm really not interested in reading about so much political intrigue, not in a children's book. It's a complicated society she lives in, and I didn't have the time to really appreciate that. So, this one's not for me, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but the most dedicated of readers, but it might not be a bad book for someone under different circumstances (someone who's got long blocks of time set aside just for reading). ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I was taken by this book, from the very first scene, in which our heroine is introduced as a small baby, tightly swaddled and hung from a hook in the study where her father is writing a great work of history. The setting is an ingenious fractured reflection of England in about 1700, with the memory of civil war and religious persecution still raw and troublesome; but the scenery is also strongly reminiscent of Pratchett's Ankh-Morpork, with lots of mud, shady inns, disreputable footpads, and scheming patricians and guildmasters. This book is not for the reluctant reader: it is for the reader who likes long words, even if they don't quite know what they mean. The vocabulary is riotously rich, the descriptions vivid and baroque, the plot entertainingly serpentine. MB 30-ix-2020 ( )
1 vote MyopicBookworm | Sep 30, 2020 |
Can't get through this one.

It's well written if you're into this sort of thing, very clever turns of phrases and colourful similies. I just didn't find the characters or the plot very engaging. Gave up at about chapter 5, I think it was. ( )
  nandiniseshadri | Jul 12, 2020 |
This is an attempt at a madcap adventure cross between urchin in the big city and alert young girl gets caught up in adventure, with the young girl central character being the stone that starts the avalanche that she then dances from boulder to boulder all the way down, being re-re-re-enlightened along the way. Too much a porcupine of a story to strongly captivate or charm - except for the goose which is almost perfectly integrated into the story. ( )
  quondame | Jun 26, 2020 |

Frances Hardingeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tanner, JillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To my inspirational grandfather, the author H. Mills West, and to Rhiannon, Mosca's godmother
"But names are important!" the nursemaid protested.
Everybody knew that books were dangerous. (p. 12)
Words were dangerous when loosed. They were more powerful than cannon and more unpredictable than storms. They could turn men's heads inside out and warp their destinies. They could pick up kingdoms and shake them until they rattled. And this was a good thing, a wonderful thing ... (p. 433)
Clent simply swept such memories away, with the impatience of someone shoving crockery aside so that he can spread a treasure map across a table. The facts fell to the floor with a fractured tinkle and were forgotten.
To Mosca's mind, Clent did not look as if he had haunted anything but a pantry, but she managed not to say so.
With a sense of infinite luxury, Mosca gazed down at the step to watch pewter being polished by someone other than herself.

Mosca Mye's madcap
adventure features mayhem,
murder – and a goose.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,180,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible