The Man Who Was Thursday (1908)

by G. K. Chesterton

Other authors: Martin Gardner (Editor)

Perhaps best-known for his "Father Brown" detective series, G. K. Chesterton was renowned for his wit, rhetorical brilliance, and talent for ingenious paradox. Those qualities fill this funny, fast-paced novel about a club of anarchists in turn-of-the-20th-century London. Ostensibly a story of mystery and espionage, it's also functions as a vehicle for social, religious, and philosophical commentary.… (more)
    The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie (rockhopper_penguin)
    rockhopper_penguin: I read 'The Secret Adversary' just after reading 'The Man Who Was Thursday'. At the time, 'The Secret Adversary' seemed like the book you *thought* you were getting for quite a lot of 'The Man Who Was Thursday'. Clever, and a good mystery, but not as good (or weird) as 'The Man Who Was Thursday'.… (more)
    The Napoleon of Notting Hill by G. K. Chesterton (kkunker)
    kkunker: These books have a similar fast paced wild feel to them. I read "Napoleon" while in London, which just made the book seem so much more alive. Both very good books by Chesterton.
    Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (ben_a)
    The Chronicles of Amber, Volume I: Nine Princes in Amber, The Guns of Avalon by Roger Zelazny (mulrah)
    mulrah: The twists and turns sometimes fall flat, but the ride is wild in both cases as the protagonist slowly comes to terms with a new "reality." Buckle up.
    The Magus by John Fowles (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Secret societies whose aims you are made to reassess.
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (shelfoflisa)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (flissp)
    The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad (KayCliff)
    Many Dimensions by Charles Williams (anjenue)
    anjenue: another metaphysical thriller with madcap elements
    The Deadly Percheron by John Franklin Bardin (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky (sirparsifal)
    The Journey to the East by Hermann Hesse (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Concerning a mysterious and allegorical secret society
    CliffsNotes on Joyce's Ulysses by Edward A. Kopper (sirparsifal)

English (123)  Spanish (5)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (2)  Czech (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (136)
This book is nuts. ( )
  jshttnbm | May 14, 2020 |
3.5 i guess? ( )
  the_lirazel | Apr 6, 2020 |
Good. Reminds me of a whole lot more contemporary humor on the level of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
Slacktivist, aka Fred Clark said I should read this, and so I have. Were I able to give this +s and -s, I'd rate it 4*-, which means it was a pretty good book. Some of my problems with it might be that I didn't understand its deeper meanings. It's likely allegorical or symbolic or something.

The story begins with two people's talking about anarchy, one very much pro and one against. The against guy thinks it's all just poseur talk, but the pro guy decides to prove the sincerity of the situation. Next thing you know, the against-anarchy guy is an undercover cop who is seated within the inner council of the anarchists. The people in the council are all weird in different ways, a poet, a man of science, a philosopher, etc; they find out weird things about each other; one never knows what's real and imaginary, including the characters; and so forth. There are a number of religious allusions, that I sort of get, but I'm not sure I got them within the context of the book, but then I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about it. I'll never have to write a paper or anything of the kind. At least one benefit of being old and unemployed.

Anyway, it's a sort of fun read, and if we're lucky, perhaps Slacktivist will one day tell us what it all means...or not, since he said he didn't understand it either, and he's much smarter about such things than I'll ever be. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
I suspect that this dream will linger within me for years to come. The philosophical and political currents pale compared to the intrinsic visions within, the idea that the six all saw their childhood in the penultimate geography is a telling terror. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |

Thorn, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Edmund Clerihew Bentley
Edmund C. Bentley
The suburb of Saffron Park lay on the sunset side of London, as red and ragged as a cloud of sunset.
"can ye drink of the cup that I drink of?"

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141031255, 0141191465, 0141199776

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,846,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible