Extreme Measures (1991)

by Michael Palmer

Dr. Eric Najarian. He's young, talented, and ambitious. He has all the qualities they're looking for at White Memorial Hospital. He doesn't know he's being watched. Judged. An elite clique of medical professionals thinks he has what it takes to join their secret club. All the young doctor has to do is agree to play by their rules. But Eric has already seen too much. A missing corpse. An unspeakable mutilation. A brutal abduction. It's only the beginning of a plot of terrifying evil. A sinister plan the group will stop at nothing to hide. And if Eric refuses to become their colleague--he will be their next victim.… (more)

Dr. Eric Najarian is one of the best at his job, and when a mysterious phone call from a group calling themselves Caduceus offers him a guarantee of promotion if he just does what he says, he considers their proposal. Laura Enders comes to Boston in search of her missing brother, Scott. And something is going on in an apparent town of mental patients in Utah.

I admit I have never read a medical thriller and only read this one for work. I found it mediocre at best. I read it in a day, but never felt that the pace was intense like a thriller/suspense novel is supposed to be. I felt a step ahead of the characters when I was not surprised by some of the revelations, though others were less unexpected but seemed inevitable not blow-me-away in how everything came together. Added to that, there was just so much going on that made it seem needlessly complicated in the end and the body count was ridiculous. 3 stars for making me care enough about the storyline to read to the end; unfortunately, I never felt invested enough to rate it any higher. ( )
  bell7 | Nov 12, 2013 |
In honor of the fiftieth wedding anniversary of May and Milton Palmer of Longmeadow, Massachusetts, and in loving memory of Mr. Fred Jewet of Barefoot Bay, Florida
The sign, painted in uneven black letters on a two-foot length of weathered barnside, read: CHARITY, UTAH, POP. 381.
No idea is ever dead until those who believe in it say it's dead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,329,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible