Family Blessings

by LaVyrle Spencer

519648,030 (3.86)2
Fiction. Literature. Romance. HTML:The classic New York Times bestseller.

Lee Reston has a fulfilling life imbued with the love of her three wonderful children. Then a shattering event-the loss of her oldest son, Greg-tears her world apart. In her anguish, she turns to police officer Christopher Lallek, Greg's best friend. Their shared mourning develops into friendship, and then something deeper. But life is never simple. The family that was once the core of her existence becomes a mixed blessing, as Lee explores where family ties end-and her needs as a woman begin.… (more)

I liked this book. I cried at the death of the son which happens on the first page and occupies about half of the book. The relationship between the older woman and the younger man was good but sometimes I get tired of the woman always being so upset about falling in love with a younger man. I married a younger man (granted just 7 years not 15 but even books with a 5 to 7 years difference make a big deal out of it) and it just didn't matter to either of us. The romance was good and well written. I generally prefer that any crying I do be over the troubles in the love aspect of a novel and not over a death. Thank goodness the son was grown. I don't think I'd have read it if he had been a little boy. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
Lavyrle Spencer has been my favorite author since 1988. I've read 22 of her novels, several of them more than once. This title...Family Blessings...has been read by me three times. In my 57 year career as a book junkie, Ive only read one novel three times...this is the one. Spencer's novels are superbly crafted and thoroughly enjoyable. Her plots grab me. Her characters grab me. When I pick up one of her books, I put the rest of my life on hold. She will engage your heart, and your thoughts, and not let go. I've only two more of her books to read; she retired many years ago, so there won't be any more, sad to say. Ms Spencer, I must say, "thank you." You are first class. I miss you. ( )
  briellenadyne | Jun 3, 2017 |
Great descriptive writing,

This is the 2nd book I've read by this author and have enjoyed them both. Though she is billed as a 'romance' author, she is really a 'relationship' author, because her character definitely develop relationships. This author does a great job with character development, and with descriptions of people and places.

I did feel the book dragged at one point, shortly after the relationship became physical. I guess the point was to let us know how passionate they were for each other, but truly, I got the message early on, and all the extra did nothing to further the story. The book probably could have been shortened by about 50 pages.

I know some had a problem with the 'mother of best friend' thing, but really, I think they had a problem with the 'age' thing. Once you are a mature adult, friends come in all ages, so those people need to ask themselves...if Chris had been 45 and Greg's best friend, woud the 'mother of best friend' thing still come into play.

Anyway, I really DID enjoy this book and will read more by this author. I recommend her to anyone who wants to take there time 'savoring' the descriptive writing.

Time2Read2 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Nice story showing love can come at all ages, and how we each handle grieve and family ( )
  CarolArmstrong | Feb 28, 2011 |
Christopher Lalleck was very vivid in this. I could just see him in his policeman's uniform doing his duty and squeezing in time to romance his late buddy's widowed mother. Most of the story was on Lee's family and the closeness that Christopher tries hard to maintain. I've read this story many times. A feelgood page turner. ( )
  gogglemiss | Jul 4, 2008 |

LaVyrle Spencerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cesa Bianchi, M. L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pardoen, Irvingsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rush, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strömberg, Gunnelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Fiction. Literature. Romance. HTML:The classic New York Times bestseller.

Out of the deepest grief comes the greatest love...

Lee Reston, a widow in her mid-forties, had a full and rewarding life with her three incredible children and a thriving florist business. And like most of us, Lee never imagined how she would cope if that which was most precious was taken from her...Then came the shattering news that turned her life upside down: Lee's oldest son, Greg, is killed in a motorcycle accident.

In her anguish and grief, she turns to police officer Christopher Lallek, Greg's best friend; together they grieve for Greg and begin to heal their pain. As their friendship blossoms, Chris becomes part of the family, helping with odd jobs around the house and joining in family dinners and backyard barbecues. Soon, Lee realizes she's experiencing feelings she never thought she'd feel again--she's falling in love with this serious, gentle young man--and wonders what the world will think of their unexpected love affair. She finds her answer close to home, for Lee's daughter has feelings of her own for Chris. Now the family that was once the core of her existence becomes a mixed blessing, as Lee must confront her own children to understand where family ties end ? and a woman's need for love begins...

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,916,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible