Gone for Good by Harlan Coben

Gone for Good (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Harlan Coben

As a boy, Will Klein had a hero: his older brother, Ken. Then, on a warm suburban night in the Kleins' affluent New Jersey neighborhood, a young woman--a girl Will had once loved--was found brutally murdered in her family's basement. The prime suspect: Ken Klein. With the evidence against him overwhelming, Ken simply vanished. And when his shattered family never heard from Ken again, they were sure he was gone for good.… (more)
Member:RJD61
Title:Gone for Good
Authors:Harlan Coben
Info:Dell (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages

Gone for Good by Harlan Coben (2002)

English (71)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (80)
Eleven years ago Will Klein's ex girlfriend was found murdered and his brother Ken was accused. Will never knew what happened to his brother, until now

I picked this book up because of the adaptation now on Netflix. I have read books by Harlan Coben before and have enjoyed them.

This book for my is typical Harlan Coben. I find his books very easy to read and seem to get through them quickly. This book was no exception.

The story follows Will has he tries to uncover what did happen. He doesn't have it easy with death and violence on the way. There are a few twists and surprises as the story progresses.

I did enjoy this one and I will read more Harlan Coben books. It didn't wow me but enjoyable non the less. ( )
  tina1969 | Sep 3, 2021 |
This book has more twists and turns than a pretzel! As soon as I started reading, I found it hard to put down. Every time I thought I had it figured out, the plot would give me another surprise. The villains and good guys kept changing places, especially at the end, which I did not see coming. I love his characters, but it's really Mr. Coben's easy, frank style of writing that I enjoy. He provides just the right amount of descriptive backstory, action, and humor to keep the story moving forward. I have enjoyed a lot of his other books, but this one I found to be exceptionally entertaining. ( )
  PaulaGalvan | Aug 27, 2021 |
Coben writes the Myron Bolitar mystery series, but this title is one of his stand-alone mystery novels. Will is a nice Jewish boy (from the same hometown as Coben) whose brother, Ken, was accused of raping and murdering Will's former girlfriend 11 years earlier. Ken ran and is an international fugitive, yet the authorities are not even sure he's still alive, and felt he had received aid from his family. Their mother is dying from cancer, and on her deathbed tells Will that Ken is still alive. Then Will finds a recent photo of Ken hidden in his mother's room plunging us into a standard Coben novel of twists and turns, and well-drawn characters who come alive, not to mention a shocking surprise. Coben's themes usually involve families just going along with their nice little lives then in some way Coben pulls the rug out from under them where they are forced to cope, and re-evaluate their lives and relationships. Think of film director Hitchcock and how he always pulled the average guy into a situation. Coben's novels are rich with detail yet fast-moving. You'll deeply care about some of these characters, heartily detest some, and grieve in spots.
  Chark | Jun 8, 2021 |
  Chark | Jun 8, 2021 |
A mystery novel with a few twists and turns here and there. Reading the book was enough to keep me interested, but not overly exciting. The story is about a murder 11 years ago, and the main character's brother who disappeared afterwards. The fallout from the murder leads to an investigation into what happened, and who was actually involved. It's a story of "convenient" events to lead to the finale of the book.
There was however a fascinating character known as the Ghost, whose life is a bit of a mystery (hence, the nickname), and who you can never quite figure out. ( )
  sjh4255 | May 4, 2021 |

Coben, Harlanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Azimi, RoxaneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kwisinski, GunnarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Olofsson, LennartTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pera, RenatoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viotti, SergioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anne
A ma vie de coeur entier
Three days before her death, my mother told me - these weren't her last words, but they were pretty close - that my brother was still alive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,366,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible