Hoops by Walter Dean Myers

Hoops (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Walter Dean Myers (Author)

A teenage basketball player from Harlem is befriended by a former professional player who, after being forced to quit because of a point shaving scandal, hopes to prevent other young athletes from repeating his mistake.
Member:KelseyPedersenXRDN
Title:Hoops
Authors:Walter Dean Myers (Author)
Info:Ember (2012), Edition: Reprint, 224 pages

Work Information

Hoops by Walter Dean Myers (2008)

Lending

Checked out 2021-11-10 — Due 2021-11-30 — Overdue

A former professional basketball player tries to Prevent a teenage player from repeating his point shaving scandal.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 26, 2021 |
" Hoops" by Walter Dean Meyers is a young a adult fiction book. The main character is Lonnie , and his passion for basketball. Lonnie and his friend play on the same basketball team in high school." Hoops" is a great book to read and relates to high school students who love basketball.

Cal, the coach doesn't have the ideal qualities that a coach should have. Cal bets on the teams games for his own benefit. He stacks the games to achieve his desired outcomes. He failed to make professional ball and sometimes it feels like he's living through his players he takes away an opportunity for Lonnie that could make his future.

Lonnie wants to move forward and play professional ball. Cal anonymously makes a change to the lineup of a very impact game for Lonnie. Cal selfishly puts himself first before his players future.

This book was unpredictable which draws the reader further into the story. The plot of a basketball playing H.S student was what interested me in the story , but when things got fishy and personal I needed to know what was going to happen to Lonnie.

I would recommend this book to teenagers growing up and other kids becoming teenagers across the world. This book could honestly relate to a lot of kids growing up going through high school and playing basketball.
  kngdee | Oct 16, 2018 |
Even as someone who isn’t all that interested in basketball, I was engaged from start to finish. ( )
  mhowel5 | Sep 13, 2018 |
The book “Hoops” by Walter Dean Myers was unlike any other book I have ever read. It was about a teenager named Lonnie who is in high school. Lonnie is trying to make it big in his favorite sport Basketball. But he is having trouble not only with his game, with his friends, family, his coach, and even him self.
The book its self has a whole lot of drama like when Lonnie is having trouble with his Basketball coach, and his girl friend. This book its self has a whole lot of action in it. And so inappropriate parts that might frighten young readers. But I liked the whole book. I recommend reading it.
1 vote br13sats | Sep 13, 2012 |
​The book is about a boy named Lonnie Jackson. He lives in a tough neighborhood in Harlem. His father left him when he was little and he drinks alcohol at the age of 16. He gets into the city basketball team and finds out some secrets about the coach. And... thats it, that's the story.

​The book was the worst book I have ever read. All the book is about every game the team has. And there's weird moments like one of the team members shoot Lonnie in the foot for no reason at all with a gun. The only interesting part was what the coach's secret is. That's why I only gave the book 3/5 stars just for the story line (which was messed around a lot) and I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. ( )
  br13brsi | Sep 8, 2012 |
Very good book.
added by WV7PR96 | editwylie, Wylie Velez

To my father,
Herbert Dean,
who bought my first
typewriter for me
One of the things my father used to say was how his days were piling up on him. When I told him I didn't know what that meant, he said one day I would.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,239,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible